Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 06:05 AM

543 posts, read 703,221 times

Advertisements

Vz refuses to connect DSL service to a home saying the hub is full. It is a remote area but geez, if someone built a new home without checking, no DSL. I guess you can get a satellite package like we do for TV, but i here it is delayed for trading and such , and is quite expensive.
The home i'm referring to is close to my house where i get DSL at around 2.5Mbs. Can i share this line with the other house if i hardwire a line between houses? Would the second house just use a router or another router/modem like i have in my home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Theoretically you can. There is a limit to distance with cabling. You would run ethernet from your router to... probably a "Switch" on their end or a Wireless Access Point.
How far is this house?

Old 08-31-2015, 09:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
Vz refuses to connect DSL service to a home saying the hub is full. It is a remote area but geez, if someone built a new home without checking, no DSL. I guess you can get a satellite package like we do for TV, but i here it is delayed for trading and such , and is quite expensive.
The home i'm referring to is close to my house where i get DSL at around 2.5Mbs. Can i share this line with the other house if i hardwire a line between houses? Would the second house just use a router or another router/modem like i have in my home?
I know I can see routers of my neighbors and they are at least 200 or 300 feet way. If it's distances like that with a good router and good adapter with an antenna you place where you want it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
If you do you'd better install excellent surge protectors at each end of the cable run...

Old 09-01-2015, 06:25 PM

531 posts, read 758,590 times
If both ends are in line of sight, try these below.

Long Range 802.11 Antenna

Ideaworks Long Distance WiFi Antenna - Walmart.com

Long Range WiFi Antenna | eBay

The best and cheapest solution is tp-link tl-wn822n.
When I bought it, it was around $15.00.
The catch is you need a PC to run it.

I use it catch free wifi far away, when I was travelling.
Try one at remote end and bring your wifi router near a line of sight window to see if it is working. Otherwise, you will need two of them at each end.

CHecking Amazon, they are selling a newer version with dual band @ $38.07
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet