Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Thank you! I'll definitely check them out. Never heard of them. I hope there's a mobile app.
There is different ports and the executable can be run from USB stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 07:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Actually I use the same password for different sites depending on importance. Ex. I use the same password for CD, Youtube and my local newspaper subscription.
There is nothing wrong with this, just make sure you are compartmentalizing where you are using the same password to sites that are irrelevant. I use easy to remember passwords for quick signups on a forum for example where I only expect to use it briefly and there isn't going to be any personal information involved. .

Quote:
To me, to have a different password for each account would be impractical.
It's not impractical at all if you are using a password manager like Keepass.

Quote:
However, I'm wondering what are the chances of Keepass being hacked and then someone having access to all your passwords.
You can never say it's impossible but realistically that would require the executable be exploited or some other exploit on your local computer. The file itself is encrypted by default using AES and there is various other things in place to prevent attack.

There is also options that can be set for what Keepass will do when open, for example it will automatically lock the file after X amount time with no activity.

You don't need to keep the file on the cloud however that is easiest for access, keeping it synced across computers and making sure you have backups. You could if you wanted store the file on a USB stick.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-11-2016 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-11-2016, 08:48 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I'm thinking not very likely, since the hacker would have to find it on your OneDrive and then bypass the encryption right? Is that how it works? I'm just worried about "Keeping all your eggs in one basket" with a password manager like this.
Nothing is ever 100% secure. But it is very very very difficult for someone to be able to hack your Keepass database. To my knowledge it has never happened. And Keepass doesn't store your password on their servers. YOu store it on your local computer and back it up to a thumbdrive whenver you make changes. SO the only way anyone will even get access to it is to get access to your computer or memory stick.

Don't pay for 1Password. Keepass is all you need.
$50?!? Really?

Old 03-11-2016, 01:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Nothing is ever 100% secure. But it is very very very difficult for someone to be able to hack your Keepass database. To my knowledge it has never happened. And Keepass doesn't store your password on their servers. YOu store it on your local computer and back it up to a thumbdrive whenver you make changes. SO the only way anyone will even get access to it is to get access to your computer or memory stick.

Don't pay for 1Password. Keepass is all you need.
$50?!? Really?
A number of memory sticks come with encryption so you can add a folder for your pw file and encrypt it as well. One more password for someone to figure out.

BTW, I add an unencrypted text file named "if found call me" with my phone number in the root of the stick so if it gets lost I can be reached. I carry both mine in my pocket at all times, and have for years. Haven't lost one yet.

I did send one through the laundry. Still works.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is different ports and the executable can be run from USB stick.
Thank you! I'm looking at their site now and all the great options

Old 03-12-2016, 08:49 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Two options.
1. 1Password
2. Call the NSA and ask them. They keep them all.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:58 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Being on dozens of sites that require a password i just use the same one for almost everything, However anything to do with banking gets a different password.
For example what would be the danger of some one discovering my CD password? how would they know it was for CD and what would they do with it if they did know.?
If password storage is important to you there are solutions=
https://www.google.ca/#q=Password+storage
Same here. Except the C-D password - access to mod stuff must be protected.

Anything with banking/payments/purchasing has an unique password, and those passwords are not stored anywhere on the Internet.
The other, unimportant passwords are stored on Blur, and as a backup I have a list on excel that is encrypted with True Crypt. The list is on my HD and a memory stick (just in case my computer suddenly dies). I do not store any important passwords on my phone, and don't use it for banking/payments/purchasing.

As long as your password data files are encrypted and protected by a secure master password – one that isn’t written down or reused elsewhere – then your passwords are safe even when stored online.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Same here. Except the C-D password - access to mod stuff must be protected.

Anything with banking/payments/purchasing has an unique password, and those passwords are not stored anywhere on the Internet.
The other, unimportant passwords are stored on Blur, and as a backup I have a list on excel that is encrypted with True Crypt. The list is on my HD and a memory stick (just in case my computer suddenly dies). I do not store any important passwords on my phone, and don't use it for banking/payments/purchasing.

As long as your password data files are encrypted and protected by a secure master password – one that isn’t written down or reused elsewhere – then your passwords are safe even when stored online.
Looked up TrueCrypt. Found this:

TrueCrypt

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

Yikes?

Old 03-13-2016, 12:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

TrueCrypt

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

Yikes?
TrueCrypt is fine to use. It's still secure.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

TrueCrypt

Yikes?
Nothing is really 100% secure on the Internet. For my Pinterest, picture storage, FB, news sites, etc. TrueCrypt is good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet