Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 02:02 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Can't you say OK and go through? I got that pop-up too when I tested it just now. (There's an "always trust certificate" checkbox too)

No.. It says, "Critical error: Could not connect to server" in red letters

I clicked the always trust bo and got this:

Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
No.. It says, "Critical error: Could not connect to server" in red letters

I clicked the always trust bo and got this:

Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity

I can get that error if I change my encryption from the Filezilla default "Use Explicit FTP over TLS if available" to "Require implicit FTP over TLS."

Sorry, if that's not it, I don't know what else to tell you other than bluehost customer support has been generally quite helpful when I've needed it.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I can get that error if I change my encryption from the Filezilla default "Use Explicit FTP over TLS if available" to "Require implicit FTP over TLS."

Sorry, if that's not it, I don't know what else to tell you other than bluehost customer support has been generally quite helpful when I've needed it.

I did figure out why it wouldn't connect, while running the network configuration wizard, but darned if it doesn't still time out. It says it could be a router issue. I need to do some port forwarding it seems. I'm spending more time just trying to fix this then fix my website. Argh!

Old 06-05-2018, 06:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
It keeps coming up with "The server certificate is unknown" error

That's because you are connecting over a secure connection and the default certificate is not valid.

This is not an issue though because you know it's invalid, you should be able to make exception for it.

Briefly when you connect to https://example.com you need to have an authority validate it so when a person visiting your site over https can be assured they are visiting your site. e.g if you were going through a public router the person in control of the router would not be able to spoof your banks website because they would not have valid certificate. This is one of the key designs of https. The default certificate you are using to connect has not been validated by an authority but still allows for secure communications.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 PM

One other thing, if the site is suspended you may not be able to connect through the domain name ftp.example.com You should be able to replace that with the IP of the server you site is hosted on.

Appears Bluehost uses Cpanel, when you open the control panel there should be link on the right "Server information" clicking that should bring up a list of information including the server IP.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
One other thing, if the site is suspended you may not be able to connect through the domain name ftp.example.com You should be able to replace that with the IP of the server you site is hosted on.

Appears Bluehost uses Cpanel, when you open the control panel there should be link on the right "Server information" clicking that should bring up a list of information including the server IP.

I tried that, but same result.

Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity

I think we are past the security certificate. Seems like it is a router issue, if I understand the documentation correctly. It seems to say I need to forward some ports to my computer. I need to figure out which ones and how to enter it. I do now how to get o my router settings to do it. It seems that my router may be blocking a connection.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Before doing anyhting contact Bluhost and make sure you can connect with the site suspended.

Can you bypass the router and directly connect the computer to the modem with Ethernet cable?

I've never had problem with a router blocking those ports. you may also want to check that your ISP is not blocking them.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Before doing anyhting contact Bluhost and make sure you can connect with the site suspended.

Can you bypass the router and directly connect the computer to the modem with Ethernet cable?

I've never had problem with a router blocking those ports. you may also want to check that your ISP is not blocking them.

Thanks! You've both been real helpful! Will be back with more updates.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:29 AM

Here's mu update: Chatted with Blue host. They did it successfuly with a test account. They gve me the details and I tried it. Same error. Did a traceroute and sent them the results. They said my ISP is blocking it. They said to call and ask for it to be white listed. Called comcast. Got some heavily accented person who I' feel did not understand what I wanted. I'm using a ASL interpreter through a relay service, which makes it even harder to explain what I want. They came back eventually and said I would need a static IP at a higher rate to do what I want. I am not running a business from home. I guess this means I have to go some other place to access my files.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Here's mu update: Chatted with Blue host. They did it successfuly with a test account. They gve me the details and I tried it. Same error. Did a traceroute and sent them the results. They said my ISP is blocking it. They said to call and ask for it to be white listed. Called comcast. Got some heavily accented person who I' feel did not understand what I wanted. I'm using a ASL interpreter through a relay service, which makes it even harder to explain what I want. They came back eventually and said I would need a static IP at a higher rate to do what I want. I am not running a business from home. I guess this means I have to go some other place to access my files.
Comcast has a long and infamous history.
Maybe have someone else that you trust fetch them, and email them to you.
(Or if they are huge, put them on a "stick" and give them to you)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet