Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 08:42 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,446,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's not only Wikipedia. I just used Wikipedia as an example. Right now I'm locked out of about 50% of secured websites. Including some of the links in this thread. I had to look at them on another computer. Other computers on the same connection are working just fine.

I have seen this problem before, but it's been at least a year, maybe two years. It's just such a weird issue, that it bugs me trying to figure out why it happens.
Dump and reload your browser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 01:53 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Dump and reload your browser?
If you mean restart my browser, of course I tried that right away. If you mean reinstall the browser, I don't think I want to do that. This is an old computer and it's hard to download browsers that support it.

But that got me thinking and I just found an interesting work around. I went into my applications folder found an old download of Mozilla SeaMonkey that I haven't updated since 2014, and I probably haven't used it since then either. I launched that and tried to go to Wikipedia, it gives me this warning: The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate has expired. (Error code: sec_error_expired_issuer_certificate). Which would be consistent with my computer clock being ahead, if it actually was ahead. But it also gives me an option: "I Understand the Risks", and "Add Exception". Which I don't get that option on the newer browsers. When I click Add Exception I can now get into Wikipedia with Mozilla SeaMonkey.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:30 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,446,439 times
At least you have a workaround now. I'm trying to think of why and how your computer would show the correct date and time and then shoot out an incorrect one to websites. Without examining the packets, it is near impossible to even start to know what is going on - at least at my paygrade.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
At least you have a workaround now. I'm trying to think of why and how your computer would show the correct date and time and then shoot out an incorrect one to websites. Without examining the packets, it is near impossible to even start to know what is going on - at least at my paygrade.
LOL, that's why I started this thread. It drives me nuts trying to figure it out.

It does kind of PO me that web browser developers, in the last five years don't even give the user an option to bypass errors like this. So you are completely screwed when something like this happens. I can use an old out dated browser, and get past the error, but newer browsers I can't.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:05 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times
sounds like a SSL certificate issue to me and based on what you said, sounds like the root cause is an outdated browser.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
sounds like a SSL certificate issue to me and based on what you said, sounds like the root cause is an outdated browser.
Yet the oldest most out dated browser can get around it. I think it's more complicated then just the browser. Since it happens on multiple browsers at the exact same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet