Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 01:51 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times

Advertisements

I know there is no good solution to this problem. I have looked many times when it happned before. But can anybody explain what causes this, or how it's even possible?

Quote:
Your clock is ahead

A private connection to www.wikipedia.org can't be established because your computer's date and time (Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 11:50:29 AM) are incorrect. NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Subject: *.wikipedia.org
Issuer: R3
Expires on: Dec 12, 2021
Current date: Sep 30, 2021
That error occurred on September 30, 2021 at 11:50:29 AM, and the computer's clock was set to exactly 11:50:29 AM on September 30, 2021. The certificate expires on Dec 12, 2021, but it won't work on Sep 30, 2021. Restarting the computer, reseting the router, nothing fixes the problem. Based on past experiences with this problem, it could resolve itself in a few hours, or it could take days, meanwhile, I'm locked out of most secured websites.

Can anybody explain this?
Attached Thumbnails
Computer problem: Your clock is ahead, when it's not.-screen-shot-2021-09-30-11.58.39  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 10:44 PM

20,651 posts, read 4,425,411 times
Sounds like you may need a new COSMOS battery for you Motherboard.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:57 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Follow this.

https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-your...-error-chrome/

Old 10-01-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Sounds like you may need a new COSMOS battery for you Motherboard.
Thanks. My MacBook battery is not great, but it's still about 56% of normal, and it's charged to 97% of that. Anyway it's plugged in. The problem is not with my MacBook. My MacBook is not having any problem keeping the correct date and time. It's set to do it automatically.

The problem is an internet problem, not a computer problem. That's why I posted it here in Internet, instead of Computer. I was just hoping that maybe somebody here could explain how that could happen.

Here is another screenshot to show that the date and time are correct. Keep in mind that the time is about 1 minute after I got the error. Because that's when I took the screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Computer problem: Your clock is ahead, when it's not.-screen-shot-2021-09-30-11.51.37  

Old 10-01-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Thanks, but that is not helpful. That is information for fixing the time and date on my computer. The time and date on my computer is correct and set perfect, as you can see on the screenshots that I posted. My computer doesn't need fixing.

This is an internet problem, not a problem with my computer. That's why I posted it in Internet, with hopes that somebody may be able to explain why it happens.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:18 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
This shouldn't happen at all being off by just a minute or two. In fact, I've only seen this when a computers day was off by YEARS.

Hawk wasn't referring to your computers normal battery. There is another battery inside that is basically a watch battery that is responsible for keeping time while the computer is off, called CMOS.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:46 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This shouldn't happen at all being off by just a minute or two. In fact, I've only seen this when a computers day was off by YEARS.

Hawk wasn't referring to your computers normal battery. There is another battery inside that is basically a watch battery that is responsible for keeping time while the computer is off, called CMOS.
Same here.

If the issue is only with wikipedia, then support needs to come from them. Since regular connections seem to be fine on wikipedia, and the time stamp it shows is correct, as a WAG I might suspect an error handler that is dumping another error into that response. If you try from another computer at another location, what happens?

Old 10-01-2021, 10:34 PM

20,651 posts, read 4,425,411 times
Quote:

Yes the MOBO battery seen here:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-t...ve-and-replace

I'm not to familiar with Macs, and didn't know they don't have CMOS batteries. But they do have
"PRAM" batteries that function in a similar way.

Unfortunately you need to have a Mac Tech fix that for you.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6881557

Old 10-02-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:

MacBooks don't have CMOS batteries. They have PRAM backed up by the laptop battery. I do have have PRAM batteries in my 2003 and 2008 desktops, but I have never had to replaced those and I have even left them unplugged for long periods of time.

I agree I don't think it should happen either. If you look at my first screen shot it says the certificate Expires on: Dec 12, 2021 Current date: Sep 30, 2021. Doesn't that mean that I should be able to set the time ahead to Dec 11, 2021, and it should still work?

Anyway, the computers time is fine. Even the error message acknowledges that the computer's time is correct, and then it contradicts itself and says the time is ahead.

Old 10-02-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Same here.

If the issue is only with wikipedia, then support needs to come from them. Since regular connections seem to be fine on wikipedia, and the time stamp it shows is correct, as a WAG I might suspect an error handler that is dumping another error into that response. If you try from another computer at another location, what happens?
It's not only Wikipedia. I just used Wikipedia as an example. Right now I'm locked out of about 50% of secured websites. Including some of the links in this thread. I had to look at them on another computer. Other computers on the same connection are working just fine.

I have seen this problem before, but it's been at least a year, maybe two years. It's just such a weird issue, that it bugs me trying to figure out why it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet