Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 11:59 AM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I just went over to youtube to see what the ads look like, since my mind automatically tunes most of them out, and I am actually not seeing any, other than at the start of the videos and along the timeline. They seem longer than they used to be, and louder, but they were always there. I don't see ad boxes or popups.

Are the ones I am seeing the ones people are complaining about?
Or are there more, that I don't see, due to my VPN?
I had an ad pop up right in the middle of a home repair video yesterday.
No complaint, but it was sort of abrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 01:39 PM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I have no idea. I don't see any ads. I thought that was the point?
Yup, same here, no 3rd-party ads!
The only ads I see are the ones presented by the channel which typically happens with more popular channels where their actual income is from YouTube/Ads (still a very odd and intangible concept for me).

One good thing about these types of ads that are in the actual video, is that you can fast-forward.

I dunno if it is a fluke or have discovered a workaround for AmazonPrime's FreeVee movies but using Waterfox with a few settings tweaked, plus uBlock and Privacy Badger, I no longer see ads in those movies either which is a huge relief because there were too many and you couldn't even skip or fast-forward thru!

Not sure what is going on but I am not touching a thing!

Old 08-02-2023, 02:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Yup, same here, no 3rd-party ads!
The only ads I see are the ones presented by the channel which typically happens with more popular channels where their actual income is from YouTube/Ads (still a very odd and intangible concept for me).

One good thing about these types of ads that are in the actual video, is that you can fast-forward.

I dunno if it is a fluke or have discovered a workaround for AmazonPrime's FreeVee movies but using Waterfox with a few settings tweaked, plus uBlock and Privacy Badger, I no longer see ads in those movies either which is a huge relief because there were too many and you couldn't even skip or fast-forward thru!

Not sure what is going on but I am not touching a thing!
I watch Freevee at home on a firestick. No ad blocking there, wish there was though.

At work, I just don't have much of an attention span. When I do watch long YT videos, I pause and go back to it.

Old 08-03-2023, 04:55 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Youtube ads have been okay, especially with the “skip ad” button after a few seconds. I did a three month free trial of YouTube premium without the ads. When the trial ended, it was a shock to go back to ads, but i resisted the urge to pay for the Premium product. The price is too high for me. I never tried a blocker for it, but it I sure is tempting. Perhaps Youtube wants to push people to pay the premium fee for as free viewing.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:15 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,358,388 times
I don't see ads on YT now (just a 5 second still picture before video starts). I use a HOSTS file, and also changed the DNS on my router to an ad-blocking one. Will YT be able to detect that? I don't think so, but I guess we'll see.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:47 AM

8,939 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Youtube ads have been okay, especially with the “skip ad” button after a few seconds. I did a three month free trial of YouTube premium without the ads. When the trial ended, it was a shock to go back to ads, but i resisted the urge to pay for the Premium product. The price is too high for me. I never tried a blocker for it, but it I sure is tempting. Perhaps Youtube wants to push people to pay the premium fee for as free viewing.
To a great degree, the person who publishes the video chooses how many adds you see. YouTube and the author split the revenue. (I suspect YouTube gets most of that revenue.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I don't see ads on YT now (just a 5 second still picture before video starts). I use a HOSTS file, and also changed the DNS on my router to an ad-blocking one. Will YT be able to detect that? I don't think so, but I guess we'll see.
Eventually, they will detect that. Many sites can, now, detect my VPN, and refuse to connect.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:50 AM

4,210 posts, read 4,463,511 times
Has anyone ever developed a tool which instead of 'blocking ads' somehow speeds them up and dumps them? Or redirects to a dummy receiver for play?

I'm thinking of a tool that functions as a "black hole' for digital ads...

Youtube use-ability peaked about 2007 and has been downhill ever since.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 08-03-2023 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: additional

Old 08-03-2023, 02:27 PM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
I often compare the Internet and its lifecycle to life in America, difference is the starting point.

Let's assume Internet, for most people became a thing in the mid to late 90s, new, basic in most regard, a lot of potential but not much exciting, interesting content yet. So, it was a lot like post WWII America in the late 40s to end of 1950s. Then came the 60s (2000s) new and exciting stuff starting happening but we were still taking thing for granted and living in la-la land for the most part.

Following decade (70s) is where most of the social and political corruption became more noticeable (2010s) where for Internet, ugly, malicious things became a common thing, initial novelty has long worn off, things people for doing or offering for free, out of passion or due to enjoyments started to diminish. Big and greedy entities started to consume smaller but popular ones to expand their business and revenue.

Most of those things were free or opensource and enjoyable in their Hey Day. 2020s much like the 80s, very glamorous technological advancements and products coming out but overall, it is seemingly a decade of decadence for some.
Then looking back in retrospect, you realize "free" was just an illusion hence the saying "There is no free lunch!".

Once Upon A Time In Binaryland....

Old 08-03-2023, 04:23 PM

8,939 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Has anyone ever developed a tool which instead of 'blocking ads' somehow speeds them up and dumps them? Or redirects to a dummy receiver for play?

I'm thinking of a tool that functions as a "black hole' for digital ads...

Youtube use-ability peaked about 2007 and has been downhill ever since.
Interesting coincidence.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post65019477
Quote:
Quote:
There hasn't been any "good times" for the majority of the population since the 1990's.
My own demarcation is 2007, so we aren't that far apart, in our assessment.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:27 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,463,511 times
Yes. I think the confluence of internet use ability peaked about that time as while there were few dominant forces most were cresting from the ramp up early adoption phase of applications and platforms. While other platforms have come about it seems the overall monetization methodology used by all manner of sites (to create stickiness) has made it so obtrusive as to be not worth the hassle and they won't let you filter it out. I call it the "pay us to not throw feces at you" business model.

It is most evident in the inability to deconstruct or bypass the 'corralling' effect all these companies employ. As well as the censoring if it is so called news.

I don't want to 'create accounts' to see basic information on some companies products, subscribe to garbage that is filtered my way via SEO algorithms designed and paid for like companies pay Spiff incentives to retail sales associates to purpose push product, receive email surveys that are totally worthless in that they want more info to market to me rather than knowing HOW to improve their product or service, etc....

The 'invasive-ness' of the ads (even though I use ad blocker) is akin to growth in 'ad load' time allotted by network TV programming and radio over the years. Drive people to services with come on ads (free) and then rook people into contracts (which no one reads nor understands i.e. you're the product and you're being 'programmed'). They make themselves immune from all the bad results as well as any industry such as financial: Socialize the risk, privatize the profit. Or Pharma who bought off Congress 1986 immunity from negative results....etc

Using the "Internet as Highway" analogy, it is like having road construction barrels and obstacles along ones path for an entire trip. And all manner of companies purposely dumping debris along the roadway to divert you to their 'establishment'.

Here's an old thread where I talked about the good and bad of tech that is pertinent:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phil...l#post52319920
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet