Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 09:31 AM

2,057 posts, read 997,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
This is for a new work project I may be doing & I think they made a typo. I later found out there's no such thing as mpbs, so I guess they meant mbps?

So do I really need to find a conversion from Mbps to MB/s or what? If I have 57 mbps as it says when I do a speed test & I need 400 which I guess should really be mbps, so I guess I do need to increase it.

So there's mbps, then Mb/s, MB/s, etc. It seems that mbps is different from Mbps.

I don't know anything about this kind of stuff, so I'll have to see mwhat else I can find out w/ hopefully all you guys' help!
Don't get caught up in the inconsistent use of capital vs. lower-case letters, it happens all the time. It's megabits per second no matter how it's abbreviated.

I'm assuming you're probably already paying for 100Mbps but due to some combination of maybe older equipment and neighborhood conditions you're only getting around half that (though I would test at different times of the day to see if that's accurate).

I've worked in some pretty technical fields where ultra-reliable and high bandwidth internet is a must and 400Mbps would imply a very "needy" application or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 09:46 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
Quote:
This is for a new work project I may be doing & I think they made a typo. I later found out there's no such thing as mpbs, so I guess they meant mbps?

So do I really need to find a conversion from Mbps to MB/s or what? If I have 57 mbps as it says when I do a speed test & I need 400 which I guess should really be mbps, so I guess I do need to increase it.

So there's mbps, then Mb/s, MB/s, etc. It seems that mbps is different from Mbps.

I don't know anything about this kind of stuff, so I'll have to see mwhat else I can find out w/ hopefully all you guys' help!
8 bits in a byte. Divide by 8.

57 Mbps = 7.125 MBps. The 'b' differs. Lower case for bits, upper case for bytes.

I can't imagine any service other than running your own server of some type requiring that much bandwidth. You also would likely not being doing that from a home but anyway... that should clear it up a bit.

Old 07-06-2023, 09:55 AM

2,057 posts, read 997,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

57 Mbps = 7.125 MBps. The 'b' differs. Lower case for bits, upper case for bytes.
No need to distract the OP with this, it's not helpful to her actual situation. She simply made a typo, transposing two letters.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:11 AM

12,780 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

I can't imagine any service other than running your own server of some type requiring that much bandwidth. You also would likely not being doing that from a home but anyway... that should clear it up a bit.

Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Don't get caught up in the inconsistent use of capital vs. lower-case letters, it happens all the time. It's megabits per second no matter how it's abbreviated.

I'm assuming you're probably already paying for 100Mbps but due to some combination of maybe older equipment and neighborhood conditions you're only getting around half that (though I would test at different times of the day to see if that's accurate).

I've worked in some pretty technical fields where ultra-reliable and high bandwidth internet is a must and 400Mbps would imply a very "needy" application or something.
Quote:
No need to distract the OP with this, it's not helpful to her actual situation. She simply made a typo, transposing two letters.

Thank you very much! I don't know if you read my post #8, but there, I had said, "Also, I looked at my bill & it says Fiber 50 Internet, but I know that a while back I called to have it go to 100 mpbs, so somehow it got bumped back down. Well, at least I wasn't paying for it all these months & the speed's been good enough for what I needed thus far, but again, may need the 400 pretty soon."

It was the work project documentation that said, "400 mpbs minimum required", so I didn't know to know that there's really no mpbs.

So, the main thing is...it looks like I DON'T need to upgrade my speed since 400 megabit per sec (Mbps or mbps) = 50 megabyte per sec

Old 07-06-2023, 11:26 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:

mbps is typically used to denote the bandwidth of the connection. Bandwidth is the "theoretical" maximum speed that bits of data can be transferred (0 or 1). How big is the pipe - essentially.

MB/s is often used to denote how fast actual data is transferred. This is used because information is typically measured in bytes of data. So one may ask what the file transfer speed is. Or, how fast can something read/write data.

In the end, these are just units, and you can certainly convert them back and forth (1MB is essentially 8 mbits) just as you can convert MPH to FPS. But, more often than not, people are just inadvertently interchanging them given that they happen to have the same letters.

When talking about bandwidth - it's megabits per second (mbps).
When talking data transfer - it's megabytes per second (MB/s).

Old 07-06-2023, 12:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
Quote:
OP asked for it in post #8, not distracting anybody.

Quote:
So I guess I need to find the conversion of it.

Old 07-06-2023, 01:16 PM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
OP, what is your claimed service speed supposed to be?
According to Frontier the number in their plan names indicate your download speed.
So, if you have Fiber 50, it would mean you have 50Mbps, not 50MBps!!
Which the Speedtest.net result concurred/confirmed (you are actually getting a tad better which can happen).

Most people would probably get 250Mbps or faster (all the way up to 1000Mbps/1Gbps) for home.
Also, for up to 500Mbps service, you need to have a good DOCSIS 3.0, and for anything faster, a DOCSIS 3.1 (cable) modem.

PS. 50Mbps might be enough for some people but at this day, it is on the low/slow side.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 07-06-2023 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-06-2023, 02:01 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:

Happens here all time. It is annoying...half this thread is now that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet