Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 07:38 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,201,734 times

Advertisements

Just rented a facility and wifi is included in the rent but I would be sharing a wifi password with other household residents. What if any issues should I be concerned about? Thinking maybe of just getting my own wifi setup but not sure the landlord would go for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 07:31 AM

1,097 posts, read 645,126 times
I would put that in the category of security issues with public wifi, so yes there are. Sounds similar to using wifi in a hotel.

Last edited by akrausz; 08-24-2023 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 08:50 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
This is about the only use case where I would recommend a 3rd party firewall, something a tiny bit better then Windows Defender.

https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall

Old 08-24-2023, 11:08 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
As Akrausz mentioned - you're essentially connecting to a public wi-fi. The risk associated with that and whether or not you should have concerns is dependent on your use. In most cases, most of your traffic to/from websites or apps you use will likely be encrypted. However, if you're sharing printers or files... that is another issue (and some public wifi's are setup so hosts on the network can't see each other).

You can setup a private network for yourself. This means setting up a router/firewall that uses the apartment's wifi as the ingress/egress point. While it's not super complicated, it does require some IT/Network knowledge (you'll likely need a intermediary device like a AP in bridge mode).

You can also just provision your own service. Obviously you'll be paying for that and you'll have to see what it entails (if a different provider, they may need to run additional telecom lines, etc.) and whether or not you'll require permission from the landlord/building management.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:06 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Just rented a facility and wifi is included in the rent but I would be sharing a wifi password with other household residents. What if any issues should I be concerned about? Thinking maybe of just getting my own wifi setup but not sure the landlord would go for that.
Are you in a true "facility" (i.e., business) or is this a residence? I ask this because an option for you would be to obtain your own internet. But, if you are in a facility building managed/owned by someone else you may not have the option to have your own installed. That, and providers WILL charge you more if it is a non residential building as they will force you into a business account which is much more expensive.

An option for you would be Verizon's internet. There is no wiring needed as their unit connects to Verizon's cell towers for internet. This may be your best option if you are concerned about privacy/safety. Besides, whoever is managing your current internet could be running reports of every single website you visit so they could definitely be peeping on your browser history. So they will definitely know which only fans or adult sites you are visiting......if you are visiting them.

Old 08-26-2023, 03:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is about the only use case where I would recommend a 3rd party firewall, something a tiny bit better then Windows Defender.

https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall
Get a personal firewall. VPN wouldn't hurt either, although most sites today use encryption so wouldn't worry too much.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:49 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Are you in a true "facility" (i.e., business) or is this a residence?

She mentions "other household residents". I assume it's an apartment building or a retirement village type thing where Internet access is included.

Old 08-28-2023, 03:58 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
wifi hotspot ?

Old 08-29-2023, 06:18 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
She mentions "other household residents". I assume it's an apartment building or a retirement village type thing where Internet access is included.
The OP didnt make it clear by her wording. Per another post of hers in the "Rentals" forum, it looks like she's renting a room in a private residence.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65734709-post1.html

My suggestion to the OP (if she ever comes back to participate or read this thread she started) is to do one of the following:

1. Use her cell phone as a hot spot to connect to the internet.

or

2. Sign up for the Verizon internet service. Speeds are great and there is no wiring or installation of anything. Just get the base from Verizon and it connects to the verizon cell towers for service.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:44 AM

1,489 posts, read 793,904 times
T-Mobil internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet