Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2023, 07:32 PM

508 posts, read 527,276 times

Advertisements

WiFi Router is not booting up upon power outage?
================================================== ===========

Thanks for replies to my threads.

I bought a Linksys E6400 router with Modem.

( bundled product < EA6400/RE6400/CM3008 ROUTER RE CABLE MODEM BUNDLE ) from retail store.

After recent power outage, it is not booting, not broadcasing. When I plug in , ports lights come up and goes off. LED under logo not flashing. Charger is reading 12V. Not able to reach reset button.

I did not use this re-set button since, I bought this Router. I did not see a button to press, but I see a hole there. Pin or paper clip goes all the way in this hole. Noting to press and hold.

I learnt "This model have a lots of concern on routers. EA6400 has that issue, at the moment they dont manufacture that model (EA6400) anymore"

Do I need to open the router panel to do re-set ?

Do you mind , sharing a diagram /video to open the panel and do re-set?

What are the options I have ?

Thanks for your guidance.

Last edited by GNCamry99; 09-28-2023 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 07:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
See the instructions on how to reset it here.

Unlike computer motherboards that was a CMOS battery, a router/modem doesn't have an internal battery so to flush its ROM, you need to insert a paperclip that is big enough to go into that reset hole while the power to the router is actually connected and on. Then you press on the reset button inside the hole and typically hold it minimum 10 seconds (some models require longer like 20 seconds). I would hold it minimum 20 seconds to be sure.

Then let go off the button and disconnect the power and wait 10 seconds then reconnect it to see if it properly goes thru power on process. If not, there might be an internal damage.

PS. Network devices are quite sensitive to power fluctuations so, I'd keep them on a good surge protector, at the very least.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:16 PM

508 posts, read 527,276 times
Thanks for weighing in and providing the link. Even if I go in deep in that reset button hole. It is not touching any thing to hold.

How will I know, there is re-set button in that hole?

Router was hooked to power outlet 24/7 for many months.

After this outage, when I connect to power outlet, I did not see any activity on LED light under logo. I am not able make out, whether it is doing anything.

I did connect the subject router to power outlet and kept it for 2+ hours. I did not see LED activity, but I sense little warmness on top and bottom of the router.

I learnt "This model have a lots of concern on routers. EA6400 has that issue, at the moment they dont manufacture that model (EA6400) anymore"

I am hoping to revive this router, but I need guidance from this forum on how do I do that .

What are the options I have ?

Thanks for your guidance.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
I was going to suggest that you try another outlet but if it is getting warm that means it is getting power.

The reset button inside that tiny hole clicks very subtly, you really have to go in slowly and when it touches it, very gently press a bit more and hold it for 15 seconds at least but no more than 25 seconds.

If the reset takes, it will likely to flash one or more lights but I am not sure about that model.
If the reset attempt bares no success, as I already mentioned, the device might have an internal damage.

See if you can leave it unplugged from power and everything for at least 5-6 hours, then re-connect it to see if it powered on properly.

If still no go, then it might be time for a new one!

Old 12-19-2023, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 347 times
Check power supply: Ensure the power adapter is working correctly.
Contact Linksys support: Reach out for guidance on troubleshooting or warranty options.
Consider professional help: Seek assistance if uncomfortable opening the router or for technical support.
For specific instructions on accessing the internal reset switch or troubleshooting steps, contact Linksys support or refer to their official documentation.

Old 12-19-2023, 02:55 PM

666 posts, read 424,136 times
Quote:
When I plug in , ports lights come up and goes off. LED under logo not flashing.
I'm in agreement with Eva. If you have an identical AC-DC power adapter with the correct voltage and amperage rating, it's worth trying.

Power surges and power losses are a completely rational fear of mine. And I make sure to have my most critical equipment behind uninterruptible power supplies. Even the simpler gear should at least be behind a surge protector strip, if not a full surge suppressor.

Also, this is why I won't even flash router firmware unless they're on clean power and the weather is favorable. I've had even uninterruptible power supplies fail on me.

Old 12-20-2023, 04:26 PM

111 posts, read 58,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
I'm in agreement with Eva. If you have an identical AC-DC power adapter with the correct voltage and amperage rating, it's worth trying.

Power surges and power losses are a completely rational fear of mine. And I make sure to have my most critical equipment behind uninterruptible power supplies. Even the simpler gear should at least be behind a surge protector strip, if not a full surge suppressor.

Also, this is why I won't even flash router firmware unless they're on clean power and the weather is favorable. I've had even uninterruptible power supplies fail on me.

This ^^
I believe from what I saw online that the power supply is 12v 3A, but the existing one will have the actual specifications listed on it.
Having dealt with many customer systems (and even my own) over the years, it wasn't uncommon for power supplies to have failed. It got to a point that I started hoarding different spare power supplies for my service vehicle as a way to avoid the need for return trips when a power supply had failed.

Just make sure, if you try another one, that it is the same voltage and at least the same amp rating (not lower). There should also be an indication of the polarity of the plug (+ and -) that goes into the equipment - make sure that matches. In most cases, the outer ring is negative and the inner sleeve positive, but check the specs on the existing power supply to be sure.

You can go higher in the amp rating - the device will only draw the amount it needs.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:45 PM

4,564 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
WiFi Router is not booting up upon power outage?
================================================== ===========

Thanks for replies to my threads.

I bought a Linksys E6400 router with Modem.
That E6400 is more than 10 years old. It may just be time to replace/upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet