Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good resource for libel over the internet internationally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 03:22 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Best of luck with that...

Passing a law is one thing, enforcing it is another.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
There is no "International Law" for libel that I'm aware of. I would venture to guess you would need to find out what the laws are in the country where the person lives. Persuing something like this even lovcally is going to be quite expensive, the costs for an overseas lawsuit would probably be astronomical.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,967 times
Also, I seem to remember the issue of jurisdiction in one case being determined according to the location of the server hosting the offending material. Dow Jones v. Gutnick was eventually heard in Australia although Lawyers argued that it should be filed where the servers were located. I think both parties later settled.

You might also find information at the Electronic Frontier Foundation website.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:39 PM

It's basically someone from overseas who wrote an article and a book based on info that I know for a fact is libellous and bogus. The book is for sale on Amazon. The article is on his site for distribution in the country where he lives.

Thanks to all of you.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:53 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
There is a different between libelous and bogus info. Your best bet would be to talk to a lawyer, and take action against Amazon. Other than that, you'd need to look at talking to the company that hosts the servers, if he hosts the servers himself, then talk to his Internet Service Provider. Both would be much much harder than to either a) let it go, or b) talk to Amazon and get them to stop selling the book.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 PM

Other than criminal activity Amazon or the hosting service have no legal responsibility to police material so I really doubt you're going to get any response from them or could hold them responsible for that matter.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
There is a different between libelous and bogus info. Your best bet would be to talk to a lawyer, and take action against Amazon. Other than that, you'd need to look at talking to the company that hosts the servers, if he hosts the servers himself, then talk to his Internet Service Provider. Both would be much much harder than to either a) let it go, or b) talk to Amazon and get them to stop selling the book.
I appreciate your input, but I know the difference between libellous and bogus; his writing is both.

Amazon didn't commit the offense, he did. Getting Amazon to stop selling the book wouldn't stop the book from selling elsewhere.

The server issue makes sense, but I guess an attorney would know for sure.

Thanks again to everyone.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
The server issue makes sense, but I guess an attorney would know for sure.
I can pretty much tell you they are not going to care, it's not their responsibility and they only have your word to go on. This is a civil matter, you'll have to get a court judgment to have the Author remove the book from those services.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
Amazon is not the one making the defamatory statement, nor is it publishing the book (from what I can tell), it's merely selling the book, and is one of a number of outlets doing so. Although you might be able to get an injunction preventing Amazon from selling the book, as you have recognized Amazon is not the best defendant in this lawsuit.

Since you know the difference between libelous and bogus you know that there's nothing you can do about bogus statements. Only defamatory statements - representations of fact made with knowledge that they are false or with recklessness as to whether or not they are false that tend to injure the reputation of another person, that are published to third parties, resulting in damage to the plaintiff - give rise to a lawsuit, and that's based on American common law. One advantage in suing for libel in some countries - England comes to mind - is that there is no first amendment protection. If you're suing the media for libel here in the US you have to prove they acted with some degree of malice, otherwise you're out of luck. But I'm sure you know all that, and understand that libel is a tough case to make, and that oftentimes people who sue for libel make matters worse by drawing extra attention to the defamatory statement.

Anyway, you should be able to do a "WHOIS" search on the website url to find out who owns it and where it is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet