Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
It's not efficient to maintain communication with dozens of people, who may live hundreds or thousands of miles away, individually. FB allows us to communicate with a large group of people every day in a few minutes and feel like we actually know what's going with their day-to-day lives. It also gives us a taste of what's going on in different parts of the country/world.

FB can be completely locked down if that's what the user prefers. Not sure how identity theft would even be concern.
Agreed. I have it and go on every other day or so. It allows you to "stay connected" with your friends/families lives, without having to talk to each one of them individually every time you want to find out what's going on. It's a great tool in order to keep in touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
It's not efficient to maintain communication with dozens of people, who may live hundreds or thousands of miles away, individually. FB allows us to communicate with a large group of people every day in a few minutes and feel like we actually know what's going with their day-to-day lives. It also gives us a taste of what's going on in different parts of the country/world.

FB can be completely locked down if that's what the user prefers. Not sure how identity theft would even be concern.
That is exactly what all of us think about our Social Security records, Credit Card statements, and any other type of information we pass on line. It is all potentially available to the right hackers. Data is also stolen from the person that left their laptop unattended and had it stolen with all of our personal and private information on it. This has happened more times than we know! So no I can't imagine how FB is so secure that no ones data would ever be stolen or compromised. Or their pictures lifted and used in places no one ever imagined.

And don't kid yourself, kids use aliases all the time on FB. One for their parents to monitor and one for them to use.....

I truly hope what I stated above never happens to anyone on FB or any other so called secure web sites.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
you can give out/keep to yourself just as much info on FB as here at City Data!?
What's the difference?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:22 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times
I don't do facebook and I am in my 20's. I think it is a waste of time. I see my wife on there for hours at a time. Pick up a phone go out with friends. It ruining social life. Why do people write about every sec of their day? Many employers look to myspace and facebook, I wouldn't want to jeopardize my career for a comment someone left of the site about me. I just find it silly but that is my opinion. My kids definetly wont be on there.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 AM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
That is exactly what all of us think about our Social Security records, Credit Card statements, and any other type of information we pass on line. It is all potentially available to the right hackers. Data is also stolen from the person that left their laptop unattended and had it stolen with all of our personal and private information on it. This has happened more times than we know! So no I can't imagine how FB is so secure that no ones data would ever be stolen or compromised. Or their pictures lifted and used in places no one ever imagined.

And don't kid yourself, kids use aliases all the time on FB. One for their parents to monitor and one for them to use.....

I truly hope what I stated above never happens to anyone on FB or any other so called secure web sites.
I don't understand how you think one's identity can be stolen on Facebook. No one knows my SSN or my credit history. People know as much as I want them to know on my Facebook account.

Actually, the most common way that people have identity theft is through snail mail and over the phone. And most people have their computers password protected so intruders can't access any information. Also, if you have anti-spyware and firewall protection, your computer and personal files are quite secure. (Leaving one's computer unprotected is not the fault of Facebook, but of the person using the computer).

Frankly, I use Facebook to reconnect with old friends from high school and my hometown. People just lose touch as life gets in the way, so Facebook has been great as a way to catch up with good friends.

And anyone can "lift" my photo if they want. But if they do, could they please Photoshop my receding hairline away?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I don't do facebook and I am in my 20's. I think it is a waste of time. I see my wife on there for hours at a time. Pick up a phone go out with friends. It ruining social life. Why do people write about every sec of their day? Many employers look to myspace and facebook, I wouldn't want to jeopardize my career for a comment someone left of the site about me. I just find it silly but that is my opinion. My kids definetly wont be on there.
Eh...no more a waste of time than posting on the CD forums.
Ruining social lives? Not really...in fact you can use it to find out about things going on in the area.
I can't imagine the phone bill I'd have if I were to talk to friends that live across the country/around the world as much as we 'talk' on FB. I've lost count of the number of HS/college friends I've reconnected with...and never would have if not for FB (or the next class reunion...heh)
If you lock down your account...your employer can't see squat.
Heck...even the Pope is down with people using FB.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Actually, you can make your account on Facebook private, so only the people you invite to your profile has access to it. That way, coworkers and bosses can't see what you write if you don't let them "in."

Sometimes, it's hard to pick up a phone since until recently (and solely because of Facebook), I didn't know that high school friends have dispersed to places like Nashville, New England, San Diego, DC, California, New York, Texas, Ohio, etc. We are all on different schedules because of our jobs, so Facebook allows us to "talk" on our own time.

There are also so many groups and charities you can get involved with. Some of them I wouldn't even know they existed if I didn't reconnect with friends.

For people like myself, who have serious problems with anxiety and dealing with social scenes, Facebook has been a beneficial way to meeting people on my own terms.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
My wife just got an account a few months ago at the urging of her sister. It cracked me up. . . . she got on my case because I had posted our name and address on the website of a social club that I belong to. She said "Some of my crazy patients may track me down!" Now she has all kinds of personal family photos and info on FaceBook.

I don't have a FaceBook page, but I do have a LinkedIn page and I'm on City-Data. The LinkedIn page is only for professional networking and I try not to give out too much personal info on City-Data. I also don't go to the meetups for reasons of privacy.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
Default I love it!

I love FaceBook...haha it's great, I can network and stay connected to family and friends. I have recently found friends from Elementary School...I have to go on at least once per day to check and reply back to everyone, etc...I have been on about 2 months now...I never did the myspace thing...but I am hooked on FaceBook.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Thumbs up ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I also don't go to the meetups for reasons of privacy.
What if we had the a city-data meetup at a local brewery? Just kidding. I can understand and respect people's desire to keep their identity and life private here.

By the way, Lone Rider Brewing has their public tour tonight 6-8pm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet