Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Yahoo Finance is a huge base of information. I earn my living on stocks and options, NOT mutual funds or bonds, so I use my Charles Schwab software

and Yahoo Finance.

At some point you will have to trust someone's advice.

You need to consider selling alot of what you have, and invest in a different way.
So sell BAC now? Its only 27 shares anyway. My other stocks are doing so well though and right now DOW is almost 12.5K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,671,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
So sell BAC now? Its only 27 shares anyway. My other stocks are doing so well though and right now DOW is almost 12.5K.
What is your job?
Your job may provide a 401K or retirement plan + add in social security, so you should not need stocks to help you along.

You have to decide on your current account, whether you want to manage it or turn it over to a money manager.

I handle my own. I use Charles Schwab trading software and their website and Yahoo Finance. Nothing else.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
What is your job?
Your job may provide a 401K or retirement plan + add in social security, so you should not need stocks to help you along.

You have to decide on your current account, whether you want to manage it or turn it over to a money manager.

I handle my own. I use Charles Schwab trading software and their website and Yahoo Finance. Nothing else.
I am in the I.T industry and have a Business degree but I hardly learned anything about Stocks. I took 1 course on investing.

My Roth IRA at at Edward Jones and he is a FA but all he does he buy the MF's for me when I give him new money.

For my common stocks taxable, I use Tradeking because the low fee of $4.95.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I am in the I.T industry and have a Business degree but I hardly learned anything about Stocks. I took 1 course on investing.

My Roth IRA at at Edward Jones and he is a FA but all he does he buy the MF's for me when I give him new money.

If you have that kind of job and background, then you should have no reason, not to be able to take some risk with your stocks.

What are the dates you bought these stocks?
How long did it take you to get the 14% gain, overall?

Where you have come from is not worth much.
It is "where are you going".

Example:
BAC has gone down for you.
What matters, is what will it do next.
Up or down or trade sideways and be dead money.
Down or sideways are not going to help you.
And up only helps you $27 per $1.00 in price move.
I'll go to Tradeking and see what they require for options.
I see no reason why your "lack of needing" $192 should prevent you from trying something and learning how to use options. More and more people are using options. They are not as near as hard as they sound.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:

ok, your commissions are lower than mine but I have trading tools, etc.

Here is the application page. Look down under "other forms" and you can apply to use options. We're talking about the purchase of one single call option and nothing more, at this point.

Take the next step or say why you can not.

https://www.tradeking.com/Modules/Se.../appsForms.php

Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 PM

I am just afraid to sell on a loss. I don't know much trading.

I was at 17% before the Libyan crisis. Now I am almost at 17% but I did buy some shares when AA went down during that time.

72 AA ALCOA INC 01/25/11
56 AA ALCOA INC 02/17/11
67 AA ALCOA INC 03/15/11

27 BAC BANK OF AMERICA CORP 04/26/10
254 C CITIGROUP INC 08/17/10
42 F FORD MOTOR COMPANY 05/07/10

27 GE GENERAL ELECTRIC CO 03/17/10
41 GE GENERAL ELECTRIC CO 06/08/10

40 GE GENERAL ELECTRIC CO 11/17/10

30 PFE PFIZER INC 04/15/10
52 PFE PFIZER INC 06/21/10
39 PFE PFIZER INC 11/17/10

Quote:
If you have that kind of job and background, then you should have no reason, not to be able to take some risk with your stocks.

What are the dates you bought these stocks?
How long did it take you to get the 14% gain, overall?

Where you have come from is not worth much.
It is "where are you going".

Example:
BAC has gone down for you.
What matters, is what will it do next.
Up or down or trade sideways and be dead money.
Down or sideways are not going to help you.
And up only helps you $27 per $1.00 in price move.
I'll go to Tradeking and see what they require for options.
I see no reason why your "lack of needing" $192 should prevent you from trying something and learning how to use options. More and more people are using options. They are not as near as hard as they sound.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
ok, your commissions are lower than mine but I have trading tools, etc.

Here is the application page. Look down under "other forms" and you can apply to use options. We're talking about the purchase of one single call option and nothing more, at this point.

Take the next step or say why you can not.

https://www.tradeking.com/Modules/Se.../appsForms.php
You can do Options on 1 stock?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I am just afraid to sell on a loss.
So how long will you wait for a loser to go back up?

When you say "trading" what do you mean?

If you are gong to buy today, and wait until next year to sell it, then you are a "buy and hold" investor and you do not need any investment advice, because you will just have to watch your stocks go up and down, and next year see where they are. You have to pick a price to buy and pick a price to sell. Leave the long term stuff to your IRA and whoever is managing that.

I bought Lynas on March 15th for $15.65 and sold it on March 22 for $20.80.
That was not a day trade. It was a buy and sell, short term.I made 30% in a week. I SOLD. Now I look for something else or wait for that same stock to come back down. With a 30% gain I have "time to wait" for another good buying opportunity. Use YM.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 PM

I am not sure. Should I sell ASAP?

Warren Buffett is a buy and hold investor.

Well you trade stocks so thats what 'trading' was.

What do you think of penny stocks that are so volatile?

I have heard that someone turned $10K into $250,000 fast.

Quote:
So how long will you wait for a loser to go back up?

When you say "trading" what do you mean?

If you are gong to buy today, and wait until next year to sell it, then you are a "buy and hold" investor and you do not need any investment advice, because you will just have to watch your stocks go up and down, and next year see where they are. You have to pick a price to buy and pick a price to sell. Leave the long term stuff to your IRA and whoever is managing that.

I bought Lynas on March 15th for $15.65 and sold it on March 22 for $20.80.
That was not a day trade. It was a buy and sell, short term.I made 30% in a week. I SOLD. Now I look for something else or wait for that same stock to come back down. With a 30% gain I have "time to wait" for another good buying opportunity. Use YM.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,434 times
-Motley fool... I read it but I think its news stories are bogus, and don't believe the stock ratings by people (if you notice, they are all rated positively)
-Yahoo Finance (news stories good), some OK analysis
-Charles Schwab news and analysis of stocks/funds/bonds... CS has some VERY good breakdowns and simple explanations of their ratings of stocks/funds/bonds

I pay for Fortune magazine, I don't know why though... I think I'll switch to "Smart Money" or similar life advice magazine. Anyone have any recommendations for a magazine I can pay for that specializes in investing/savings/advice...etc?

I also read investment books-- lots probably available at your local library for free

Oh and I think Penny stocks are terrible. I don't define penny stocks as <$5 like fool either-- I define them as less than $1. There are some good $1 - 5 stocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing