Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:46 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,657,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Do you think there are insiders out there who know what is going to happen with a stock before the news? You know the big cats.
When Buffet and the CEO of the latest company he bought, agreed on a deal, they BOTH knew it.

Who they told is unknown.

So there are insiders on 100% of all deals, etc.

I'm aware of a news story in the Financial Times from Thursday and Yahoo Finance and Reuters still do not have the story.
So, some people have the story and some do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Quote:
Stocks are still the best investments by far for all types of classes.

Gold may have performed well in the last 10 years but what about the last 50-100 years? Stocks have by far outperformed Real Estate and any other precious metals in the long run.

Dollar cost average is still the way to go for the long term.
I think stocks do outperform in 50 or 100 years, but people have much shorter time horizons....10, 15, 20 years.

Gold could conceivably go up 10x from its bottom during this bull market. Stocks could be flat, to up 50%-100% during the same time frame. I think most commodities are going to trounce stocks from the mid 90's to 2015 or 2020. Big stocks have already languished. Look at walmart, the four horsemen...intc, dell, msft, cisco. Or other big market cap stocks like coke.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:05 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
LiveCheap.com is good.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 AM

What about those big investors on Wall Street? They trade millions of dollars. I thought they know a lot more then the average Joe investor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nah, dont you know its not legal....ssshhhhh...

that has to be one of the dopiest crimes around when you think about it.

in every walk of life some of us have better info than others. we have better software, better friends and ties to sources of better information.

only in the financial markets is it a crime. think about it , if you have the inside track to something and you buy on that news that stock is still going to go to whatever that price is whether you profit or not from better information or not.

the fact that a middle man acted on that news is only a step in the rise of that stock and not because of it... the premise of this supposed level playing field is the biggest joke of all..

of course as we all know most of that supposed inside info never pans out anyway.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
When Buffet and the CEO of the latest company he bought, agreed on a deal, they BOTH knew it.

Who they told is unknown.

So there are insiders on 100% of all deals, etc.

I'm aware of a news story in the Financial Times from Thursday and Yahoo Finance and Reuters still do not have the story.
So, some people have the story and some do not.
What about before minutes before the news is posted online? Someone must know the pre-news?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think stocks do outperform in 50 or 100 years, but people have much shorter time horizons....10, 15, 20 years.

Gold could conceivably go up 10x from its bottom during this bull market. Stocks could be flat, to up 50%-100% during the same time frame. I think most commodities are going to trounce stocks from the mid 90's to 2015 or 2020. Big stocks have already languished. Look at walmart, the four horsemen...intc, dell, msft, cisco. Or other big market cap stocks like coke.
From age 18 to age 67 is 59 years.

Why not just mix your portfolio of some Gold stocks.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
What about before minutes before the news is posted online? Someone must know the pre-news?
And if they buy or sell based on that information they will go to jail.

With high-profile case, SEC hopes to deter insider trading | Marketplace From American Public Media (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/04/21/am-with-highprofile-case-sec-hopes-to-deter-insider-trading/ - broken link)

Old 04-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
And if they buy or sell based on that information they will go to jail.

With high-profile case, SEC hopes to deter insider trading | Marketplace From American Public Media (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/04/21/am-with-highprofile-case-sec-hopes-to-deter-insider-trading/ - broken link)

So You and I have the same information in the stock market as a billionaire investor on Wall Street? Or someone inside the NASDAQ building?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
So You and I have the same information in the stock market as a billionaire investor on Wall Street? Or someone inside the NASDAQ building?
I own 2-3 takeover stocks.

The news stories do not hide the fact, that there are takeover rumors on these stocks.

Anyone can read them and buy, sell, or hold.

That is not insider buying and selling.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Yahoo for my portfolios and general news

seekingalpha for ideas and good analysis and commentaries.

zerohedge every so often, but some of the stuff goes way above my head

I'll also read quarteyly/annual updates just to ge a sense on how some of the actual players are thinking. Buffet is one,similary guys who run Leucadia. Also Jeremey Grantham from GMO. It's also fun to hunt down some shareholder letters from Hedge Funds that leak out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing