Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times

Advertisements

42 would be too much even for Brock.

Maybe if could quickly grab one and continuously swing in a circle to like a hammer to hit the other ones and keep 'em at bay. Problem with 42 is they'd be 5 to a leg like army ants holding a grasshopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 03:09 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
The problem with trying to open a McDonald's is finding a good area that doesn't already have one.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Unbeatable brand name, food that sells itself, and all marketing is handled on a national level so individual owners do not have to worry about that. I have rarely heard of unprofitable McDonald's - the average take home net profit per year for a franchise owner is $200,000. I wouldn't mind even working in the store itself as day manager, because it's different when it's your property and your profits.

The problem is you need at least $500,000 of NON-borrowed funds, and up to $1.4 million in certain high traffic locations.

Conversely, I could afford to buy a Chik-fil-A franchise right now for $5000 (that's really all you need), but I would never meet their ridiculous (read: religious, conservative) owner/operator requirements.

I've never heard of this ever being done, but why couldn't someone organize a large group of individuals, each with a small amount of cash (say $100 - $500 each), organize it as a business with a board and officers, and buy a franchise that way?

Then the participating members could work there part time (maybe one shift a week or month), recover their cash investment within a few months, and still have an ownership stake.

Chick-Fil-A isn't anywhere near here yet.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,888,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've never heard of this ever being done, but why couldn't someone organize a large group of individuals, each with a small amount of cash (say $100 - $500 each), organize it as a business with a board and officers, and buy a franchise that way?

Then the participating members could work there part time (maybe one shift a week or month), recover their cash investment within a few months, and still have an ownership stake.
I answered that above. You can't buy a McD franchise unless you have worked at a D's for yeards and know the ropes completely, then, if they approve you and you have enough money, they let you buy..
Very strick, no short cuts, you pay your dues, then your money...!!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,357,366 times
I would open a Tim Horton's donuts.... the donut chains around here are not all that good. they are awesome.

Actually, my dream has always been to open a laundromat. I investigated it but never had the capital.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
McDs has fallen behind the times, ours never has a line anymore, even the kids at the high school across the street won't go there, they stick to Taco Bell. I have seen 3 in the area close up in the last 3 years while they continue to open new Carls Jr. stores, along with our small non-franchise chains Dick's and Red Mill.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,357,366 times
yeah, the taco bells seem really popular here. And it seems every other week they are opening up some kind of burger chain (5 guys, smash burger, etc.) or some kind of sub shop - (subway, quiznos, jersey mikes). I can see those markets getting saturated fast.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
I haven't seen a closed McDonalds in a long long time. The only one I remember seeing closed said visit us at our new location down the street. Could have been a different owner, but easily could have been the same guy with a better spot. Otherwise I cannot remember one closing and all of them are now remodeled and bringing in tons of morning business.

May not be the best use of funds, but the way the company's numbers have held up the last five years it probably has to be one of the safer bets too. Plus all this talk of finding a good location is crazy. The company knows where a new location can be supported in any given state. They know the traffic better than anyone could hope to with the data they get from existing stores plus the money they spend on research. I have seen franchises from just about every other established brand go out here and there, but not these guys.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 AM

9,780 posts, read 15,798,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Actually, my dream has always been to open a laundromat. I investigated it but never had the capital.
That's an interesting dream. What is it about a laundromat that appealed to you?

Old 05-25-2011, 02:52 PM

160 posts, read 454,697 times
I love the idea of ANY cash business.

I have a buddy that does laundromats. There is definately a learning curve. He maintains the building/machines, the atmosphere and the amenities to attract the right clientele. Very interesting.

After 3 years he's just starting to make a consistent income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing