Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times

Advertisements

My question is WOULD YOU HIRE ILLEGALS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
My question is WOULD YOU HIRE ILLEGALS?

This is not mom & pop business, you can't hire illegals or day worker? They need proper documents to work here and they need to pay TAX. So the banks can be bailed out in the future.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
At 52 now....If I had a half million dollars (tax free) I wouldn't necessarily BUY anything.....

I'd give three siblings 50-thou each, maybe pay off my house (150-thousand), and invest the rest -- along with the monthly mortgage payment that's now free for investment -- continue to work and live a mortgage free life...until retirement at 62.

If I don't pay off the house I'd invest the entire 350-thou. I'm in my forever (until retirement) house so I'd explore the pros and cons (if any) of paying off the house, and make the subsequent decisions based on that.

500,000 can make me quite happy without buying a franchise to have more headaches and responsibilities. Yes it might make me even richer, but I'd rather not work. Once I'm comfortable to my level of more than enough -- I personally wouldn't feel the need to work -- to have MORE than more than enough.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 PM

131 posts, read 520,749 times
I would buy a Starbucks/Teavana franchise.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Unbeatable brand name, food that sells itself, and all marketing is handled on a national level so individual owners do not have to worry about that. I have rarely heard of unprofitable McDonald's - the average take home net profit per year for a franchise owner is $200,000. I wouldn't mind even working in the store itself as day manager, because it's different when it's your property and your profits.

The problem is you need at least $500,000 of NON-borrowed funds, and up to $1.4 million in certain high traffic locations.

Conversely, I could afford to buy a Chik-fil-A franchise right now for $5000 (that's really all you need), but I would never meet their ridiculous (read: religious, conservative) owner/operator requirements.
I know 500K isn't a luxury portfolio...but I'd rather buy a mutual fund like Vanguard Wellington or Vanguard Wellesley Income and live off the proceeds than buy myself an 80 hour per week job...which is what a franchise is.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:59 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlan View Post
I would buy a Starbucks/Teavana franchise.
Starbucks are all company-owned.

They do license under certain conditions (airports, for example) but they don't franchise.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
I agree with a previous post. You would be buying a job instead maybe buy stock.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahOwen View Post
I love the idea of ANY cash business.

I have a buddy that does laundromats. There is definitely a learning curve. He maintains the building/machines, the atmosphere and the amenities to attract the right clientèle. Very interesting.

After 3 years he's just starting to make a consistent income.
It would seem that you would want them in only good neighborhoods. You'd also need a full time attendant, no - to avoid drug taking late at night and the homeless trying to sleep there on cold nights. Also, people will try to dye clothes in the machines without paying for a complete cleaning cycle afterwards. One person, in an unattended laundromat, filled a machine with quick set concrete, set a cycle in motion, and left.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM

691 posts, read 771,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Unbeatable brand name, food that sells itself, and all marketing is handled on a national level so individual owners do not have to worry about that. I have rarely heard of unprofitable McDonald's - the average take home net profit per year for a franchise owner is $200,000. I wouldn't mind even working in the store itself as day manager, because it's different when it's your property and your profits.

The problem is you need at least $500,000 of NON-borrowed funds, and up to $1.4 million in certain high traffic locations.

Conversely, I could afford to buy a Chik-fil-A franchise right now for $5000 (that's really all you need), but I would never meet their ridiculous (read: religious, conservative) owner/operator requirements.

A "Subway" franchise would be easier. Less rent, fewer employees, and you can open them two miles apart and they would not steal business from each other.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
This is not mom & pop business, you can't hire illegals or day worker? They need proper documents to work here and they need to pay TAX. So the banks can be bailed out in the future.
Illegals get fake Social Security numbers & documents all the time. Unless something like "e-verify" is used, employers don't catch the fakes. It's a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of situation. Unless your state requires use of the e-verify system, the laws are a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing