Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,691,668 times

Advertisements

I went to Netflix last year after so many people told me it was totally amazing. So I dumped my blockbuster account.

I actually found the selection to be worse and basically I have not used it since April. I need to cancel it pronto. Couldn't believe they are starting Qwikster. How stupid.

Personally at the end of the day, I'd rather have the old video store back, so I can go in and browse. The problem with online marketplaces is they are not storefronts where you can get the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,801,546 times
I have been a Netflix subscriber since the company started in 1997, infact I was among their first customers and at the time was so impressed at the concept. I am finally going to be canceling next month... I am increasingly leaning towards streaming and with Netflix the content just isn't there So, yes, I am sure many others like me are just going to leave.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have been a Netflix subscriber since the company started in 1997, infact I was among their first customers and at the time was so impressed at the concept. I am finally going to be canceling next month... I am increasingly leaning towards streaming and with Netflix the content just isn't there So, yes, I am sure many others like me are just going to leave.
Use Redbox in the grocery store.

Lot of people swarm around it. I never understood this American obsession with movies

Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
Redbox doesn't offer nearly the variety Netflix does on DVD. I see a lot of movies in theater and rarely find anything in Redbox I haven't already seen...or want to.

It's a shame what happened. I'm sticking with my Netflix/Quickster (yuck!) streaming+1 DVD for the time being but I'm going to experiment with my options.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,147,687 times
Quote:
I've been a member since about 97/98 too. I always thought highly of the company.

I think they are trying to kill or sell the mailing business. Their timing seems bad, as streaming is not yet compelling enough to totally drive their business. I agree it someday needs to. Physical media will be obsolete in 5 years.

I for one will not sign up for Quikster. Blockbuster does the same thing, and cheaper. Plus, I don't want to pay Netflix for my own inconvenience.

I'll hang onto Netflix streaming unless a better competitor comes along. Right now streaming is in an odd place with licensing. What I would pay for is a premium streaming offering from Netflix, even if it was $30/month - that gives access to a lot more movies and TV shows in full HD.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
How did 50% devaluation occur in just 10 months

This is what mismanagement and changing face of technology can bring about. The idiot who decided to hike the subscription shot himself in the foot, and actually, they may never see 300 again.

Is Netflix doomed? - Portfolio Insights by Brett Arends - MarketWatch
Easy, they increased the price by over 67%.

If something costs 9 dollars a month and you decide to increase it 67% (to 15 dollars)-- that is insane. That will easily make you lose half your customers. Any company should know this.

As a netflix subscriber, it pissed me off. But 15 dollars a month is still chump change so I put up with it.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:05 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,928 times
They were trying to raise more money to buy the rights to stream more movies and grow the company. If anyone has seen their streaming list-- you will quickly notice that it has a terrible selection. Netflix realizes dvd by mail is a thing of the past-- the future is all about streaming. Unfortunately, now Netflix has more competition with Fios, Comcast, Time Warner...etc (who have all realized the beauty of streaming movies).

I'd feel safer with my money in Verizon stock. They are a well diversified company.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,978,632 times
I've been with Netflix for about 3 years. I loved it for the first year with the 1 DVD plan and even had 2 at once for a few months especially when I signed up. Since they raised their prices at the beginning of the year, I went solely with streaming. During the 2nd year, I put my account on hold for 4 months. Anyone who finds there streaming selection as boring as I do, I strongly suggest putting your account on hold before canceling it. There is a 90 day limit but you can renew it as much as you want. I put it on hold for a couple of months this year as I really couldn't find much I wanted to watch without doing a bunch of reading. I'm one week back into my 2nd hold for this year and I think I'm gonna put it on hold for the rest of this month.

There streaming selection has become a joke. More importantly, there copyrights with Starz ended so most of the movies people know on streaming will go away and nothing new with name value will appear. Just a bunch of movies most of us have never heard of. Plus, my ratings for Netflix is so damn off...I can't even trust it.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,801,546 times
the price is not the main issue, I think $15/mo. is still quite acceptable for the service IMO, the problem is the streaming content is very poor

Old 10-03-2011, 11:50 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,978,632 times
Quote:
the price is not the main issue, I think $15/mo. is still quite acceptable for the service IMO, the problem is the streaming content is very poor

Liar. If streaming was $1.50 a month, you wouldn't be complaining. The price increase AND the lack of content has put Netflix on a bad track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing