Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
I'm short selling gold 1 2.00%
Zero Gold 26 52.00%
Negligible - 5% 13 26.00%
5 - 10% 2 4.00%
10 - 15% 0 0%
15 - 20% 2 4.00%
20 - 30% 3 6.00%
30 - 40% 0 0%
40 - 50% 1 2.00%
50+ % 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:35 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,520,385 times

Advertisements

and if cash money fails, I guess I would go to the grocery store, pay with gold and ask for ingots in change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 PM

106,758 posts, read 108,973,015 times
if cash fails there will be no grocery store.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:15 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,366,442 times
Right now? Zero.

I see echoes of the late 70s boom followed by early 80s bust in gold prices.

History is repeating itself. Scaremongers who say gold will be the only currency left standing and the world's fiat money system is collapsing are only partially right.

My evidence is the 1920s and 30s.

HUGE property speculation. HUGE debt loads. MASSIVE de-leveraging. Risk aversion leads to seeking "safe havens." Gold bugs immediately seek that, then are totally unprepared for when the economy does recover.

Personally, I think the world will continue to see huge shocks to the system. The Euro will either be totally dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up, or abandoned. If I were a German or French taxpayer, I'd be rebelling in the streets right about now, seeking the heads of my "leaders."

China has seen a humongous and unprecedented scale of property bubble speculation. Their external debt load is only about 20% of GDP. But their internal debt load is a staggering 95% of GDP, mostly built from the prior 10 years. And due to how their economy works, tighter controls will only drive down market investment if one part of the economy starts showing signs of capital outflows. There's a reason why over 80% of rich Chinese want out of the country (on a sidenote, for $1 million investment and starting a company hiring Americans jobs, I'd be willing to give that person a green card).

All this will subside by 2015 or so. Until then we're likely to see deflation in capital markets with inflation in commodities, then eventually once all the bad debt is gone, a recovery in the US markets. Ironically, we may see a resurgence in unions and more manufacturing jobs, though I clearly think that an education in a technology oriented field is the key to future success in our now global world.

Gold will crash. That is a fact. Get out now while you still can. Read up and see the parallels of us vs. late 70s America. Even Bloomberg business magazine agrees with me, and when a stalwart cornerstone of the very edifice which started the whole "innovation" in mortgage "investments" says that, you know its serious.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if cash fails there will be no grocery store.
Read a lot of your posts and assume you are being facetious. Stores will always be there due to the profit motive, irregardless of what you tender for payment.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:05 AM

the reality is there most likely will be no financial calamity that will devestate us as we know it. gold is a currancy,its a competitor to the dollar.

im not a gold bug but gold has always been a part of my portfolio for 25 years . while cash value has plummeted over that time frame my equities and gold are worth far more than even i expected.

just having a plan that forced me to rebalance my gold when it was falling like a rock had it eventually beating an s&p 500 investment over that time frame today..

anyone who rules out any of the 4 economic scenerios that can play out is just plain foolish.

they are

prosperity
deflation
inflation
recession.

we already saw three out of 4 play out depending who you listen to this last decade .

good planning is not ruling out uncertainty ,its allowing for it.

none of us know when something is over valued. in the 1990's i remember when oil went from 10 to 30 a barrell and i cried bubble. well who knew it would be a straight rise to 120 a barrel before falling back a little.

try to rule out any of the 4 basic scenerios and the asset classes that respond to them because you think they wont play out is turning you into a speculator instead of an investor.

an investor doesnt bet on events happening or not happening, a true investor in my opinion accepts the returns the markets give them and everyone else like them ,good or bad that year without attempting to beat the markets returns at their own game.

the folks who got burned this last decade only speculated on prosperity happening. since that didnt play out and they got caught up holding assets that responded well only in that scenerio now they are blaming the markets and scams and ponzi schemes because they bet only on investments that responded to one outcome: prosperity.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-20-2011 at 09:21 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,932,953 times
I bought some gold coins at the end of the 1990s. Sold them earlier this year when gold hit around $1450/ounce. Made a very nice profit. I will buy gold again but not while prices are over $1000/ounce. I don't believe in buying at the top of the market.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:08 PM

if we jumped to 3000 an ounce before rolling back are we at the top of the market now?

no one can ever judge a top.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM

for what it is worth(maybe not much) Goldman just said Gold would be at $1750 at the end of 2012 not much change from now

Old 11-21-2011, 03:27 PM

could be... but i wouldnt even try to guess.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 PM

880 posts, read 1,801,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Right now? Zero.

I see echoes of the late 70s boom followed by early 80s bust in gold prices.

History is repeating itself. Scaremongers who say gold will be the only currency left standing and the world's fiat money system is collapsing are only partially right.

My evidence is the 1920s and 30s.

HUGE property speculation. HUGE debt loads. MASSIVE de-leveraging. Risk aversion leads to seeking "safe havens." Gold bugs immediately seek that, then are totally unprepared for when the economy does recover.

Personally, I think the world will continue to see huge shocks to the system. The Euro will either be totally dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up, or abandoned. If I were a German or French taxpayer, I'd be rebelling in the streets right about now, seeking the heads of my "leaders."

China has seen a humongous and unprecedented scale of property bubble speculation. Their external debt load is only about 20% of GDP. But their internal debt load is a staggering 95% of GDP, mostly built from the prior 10 years. And due to how their economy works, tighter controls will only drive down market investment if one part of the economy starts showing signs of capital outflows. There's a reason why over 80% of rich Chinese want out of the country (on a sidenote, for $1 million investment and starting a company hiring Americans jobs, I'd be willing to give that person a green card).

All this will subside by 2015 or so. Until then we're likely to see deflation in capital markets with inflation in commodities, then eventually once all the bad debt is gone, a recovery in the US markets. Ironically, we may see a resurgence in unions and more manufacturing jobs, though I clearly think that an education in a technology oriented field is the key to future success in our now global world.

Gold will crash. That is a fact. Get out now while you still can. Read up and see the parallels of us vs. late 70s America. Even Bloomberg business magazine agrees with me, and when a stalwart cornerstone of the very edifice which started the whole "innovation" in mortgage "investments" says that, you know its serious.
I laughed so hard reading this I almost fell out of my chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing