Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
That is an interesting comparison. I still wonder generally about the effectiveness of internet ads. I feel like I have just learned to tune them out and have never clicked on one on purpose.

I also wonder if Zuckerberg is in it for the long haul or if he will just take the money and run. He has to know that the long term viability of Facebook is limited.
According to GM, the ads don't work.

GM Says Facebook Ads Don't Work, Pulls $10 Million Account - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
That is an interesting comparison. I still wonder generally about the effectiveness of internet ads. I feel like I have just learned to tune them out and have never clicked on one on purpose.

I also wonder if Zuckerberg is in it for the long haul or if he will just take the money and run. He has to know that the long term viability of Facebook is limited.
Well I'm willing to bet they take all of that capital and start to buy up other companies, similar to Microsoft, Google, ebay etc.

I dont think I look at banners either, but then I visit very few websites..

Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
But some items its very successful at promoting though. There is a game company, forget the name, but they recently went public, and they generate tens of millions a month in revenues, and they pay facebook a commission from each sale. They run that farmer game etc. Most of their customers come through facebook.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Interesting.

Facebook seems like a underpants gnome business model, not to mention a lot of other webstartups.

1. Collect Underpants/Collect millions of users and their data
2. ?
3. Profit

Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But some items its very successful at promoting though. There is a game company, forget the name, but they recently went public, and they generate tens of millions a month in revenues, and they pay facebook a commission from each sale. They run that farmer game etc. Most of their customers come through facebook.
The company is Zynga and I think their games are actually embedded in Facebook itself. It is not the same as say EA buying ads for Madden 2013.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
The company is Zynga and I think their games are actually embedded in Facebook itself. It is not the same as say EA buying ads for Madden 2013.
Thats the company. No, they arent actually embedded, it just appears that way because thats how facebook tracks the sales.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats the company. No, they arent actually embedded, it just appears that way because thats how facebook tracks the sales.
Really? I thought that it was somehow linked to people's facebook profiles (people asking friends for cows and to join their mob).

Well then I stand corrected.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Really? I thought that it was somehow linked to people's facebook profiles (people asking friends for cows and to join their mob).

Well then I stand corrected.
Well you can sign into your games using facebook, but thats pretty much a facebook cookie that gets tracked. Its like shopping on ebay, and then going to half.com. You can use the same login for them, but the funds are kept seperate. Ebay/half might be a bad choice because ebay owns half, but I hope that helps explain it.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
I really think Facebook has surpassed the idea that it is just a fad. I honestly think it has that too big to fail aura about it now. Not with bailouts per se, but I think any and every investor understands that it can be lucrative with the right leadership. I think that it'll eventually find that nitch and i'll probably buy when it jumps into the 20s.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Just keep waiting till the stock drops to $9-$10 bucks or less then pick it up cheap and sell it for a small profit...Remember buy low & sell high and never buy a IPO on a company that neither makes, sells or builds anything.
Like Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing