Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,369,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
$6 million is not super rich not even close. You have a good plan which indeed is way ahead of almost all others but the people above you will still be doing things completely different than you and probably be working more than you. But you are making a conscious decission which works for you and will make you happy when you reach it. That should be the point of this whole controversy but the media would rather focus on the more direct message because it upsets some portion of society.
Oh yea, I know that $6 mill is no where near even rich. All that $6mill does is allow my wife and I to retire at our current standard of living. What I consider to be wealthy is $100mill or more. Sure amounts less get the job done but $100 mill is do what you want money. You can tell the world to stick it with $100 mill or more. You can have the beach house, Ferrari, a boat at the harbor, take the trips you want to take and never have to show up for work with $100 mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM

981 posts, read 1,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
She may be a beached whale but she's right. Her net worth was under $50MM when she inherited the business and became CEO (about 20 years ago). Today her networth is around $30B. That's an incredible 40% per annum. I'd bet 99% of people out there, and 99.9% of you jealous people on CD, could not have achieved the same. Ignorant people think it's so easy to make money once you have money, but then why don't you have money in the first place? Most people are horrible with money and investing. Look at all the "experts" who took out $100k Helocs at the peak then invested it... and lost their house LOL. That should tell you about the competence of the typical smarty pants out there.
She did not build this herself. It was through a combination of extremely fortuitous circumstances. She inherited massive stakes in mining rights which when coupled with the soaring price of iron since her inheritance has seen her wealth explode. Between this and asset/commodity inflation and a soaring stock market, she did not have to do a damn thing to reach this point.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:08 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
She may be a beached whale but she's right. Her net worth was under $50MM when she inherited the business and became CEO (about 20 years ago). Today her networth is around $30B. That's an incredible 40% per annum. I'd bet 99% of people out there, and 99.9% of you jealous people on CD, could not have achieved the same. Ignorant people think it's so easy to make money once you have money, but then why don't you have money in the first place? Most people are horrible with money and investing. Look at all the "experts" who took out $100k Helocs at the peak then invested it... and lost their house LOL. That should tell you about the competence of the typical smarty pants out there.

That is pretty much how land speculation works. You buy it when its cheap, go to sleep and wait ( or in this case weight) for other people to work and make you money. Its feudalism in a shinny new "capital" facade.

Again she wants to open up Australia for cheap labor. She wants to share Australia with the world right up to the point until her exclusive mineral rights. Well, using her dynamic they can deny this or add access charges of their own for access to Australia. She claims the minerals and they claim the land next to the minerals. I'd really like to know the essential difference.

Most people are horrible economists.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 AM

BBC News - Japan government 'reaches deal to buy' disputed islands

A nice cool 26 million for another innovator.
government will pay 2.05bn yen ($26m, £16.4m) to buy islands known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China.

But why do you suppose this is in dispute?
Earlier this month, a group of Hong Kong activists landed on one of the islands amid the rumbling row. Japanese nationalists also subsequently visited, sparking protests in several Chinese cities.
On Tuesday, two men were held in Beijing for ripping the flag off the Japanese ambassador's car, in an apparent protest over the islands.

Don't those island suse Toyota technology?

Absentee land and mineral ownership. Gotta love the hypocrisy of the leaches. Own, rent, do nothing and go obese.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 09-05-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
She did not build this herself. It was through a combination of extremely fortuitous circumstances. She inherited massive stakes in mining rights which when coupled with the soaring price of iron since her inheritance has seen her wealth explode. Between this and asset/commodity inflation and a soaring stock market, she did not have to do a damn thing to reach this point.
So what? Tell me why her words about working more hours are wrong. Yesterday Yahoo posted an article entitled 21 Ways Rich People Think Differantly. I read that with interest and looked at how I think about things. From reading it you might find that it doesn't matter to the wealthy how the money is made, even if the money was from a parent or some other family member. It is what you do with that money. Also the fact is that the wealthy don't need to have money to make money. (I know what you are thinking, but follow me on this.)

The wealthy are into taking an idea and seeing if it is something that others would invest in. You create an idea, build a business plan around that idea and shop it to those that may see the same value as you do. Then you take that money and build the business. The best part is that your money is not tied up in the business, you got investors to do it for you. Leverage all the way. But if you are right and your idea was the money making idea you said it would be, then everyone makes money and you are rewarded for that.

Here is the story.
21 Ways Rich People Think Differently - Yahoo! Finance

Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So what? Tell me why her words about working more hours are wrong.
She is a hypocrite. And putting your nose to the grind stone while someone artificially jacks up prices with a cartel is going nowhere.

Quote:
Yesterday Yahoo posted an article entitled 21 Ways Rich People Think Differantly. I read that with interest and looked at how I think about things. From reading it you might find that it doesn't matter to the wealthy how the money is made, even if the money was from a parent or some other family member. It is what you do with that money. Also the fact is that the wealthy don't need to have money to make money. (I know what you are thinking, but follow me on this.)
That sounds like the way a poor person thinks. They always talk about "hard work" until they are swindled.

Quote:
The wealthy are into taking an idea and seeing if it is something that others would invest in. You create an idea, build a business plan around that idea and shop it to those that may see the same value as you do. Then you take that money and build the business. The best part is that your money is not tied up in the business, you got investors to do it for you. Leverage all the way. But if you are right and your idea was the money making idea you said it would be, then everyone makes money and you are rewarded for that.

Here is the story.
21 Ways Rich People Think Differently - Yahoo! Finance
Your comparison is like talking about love making in the bridal suite while ignoring what happens with a prostitute in the back seat of a car. Both can result in a conception.

Some people create wealth while others excel at staking claims on wealth.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 AM

981 posts, read 1,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So what?
So what? She is telling people to get off their asses and work when she has never had to work a damn day in her life. Everything she has is because of her inheritance.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Before economics became propaganda....

The ordinary progress of a society which increases in wealth, is at all times tending to augment the incomes of landlords; to give them both a greater amount and a greater proportion of the wealth of the community, independently of any trouble or outlay incurred by themselves. They grow richer, as it were in their sleep, without working, risking, or economizing. What claim have they, on the general principle of social justice, to this accession of riches? In what would they have been wronged if society had, from the beginning, reserved the right of taxing the spontaneous increase of rent, to the highest amount required by financial exigencies?

John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), in Principles of Political Economy

Property rights are a creation of the state. What else is there to enforce it especially with absentee ownership? Then these same people whose entire estate rests with the power of the state to enforce their claim expect labor and capital to pay the taxes. Even though paved roads add to their wealth and not the laborers , they should not pay because its "savings" and "already taxed" . Nope , not a single conservative today would even think to call this welfare.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 AM

4 posts, read 4,643 times
Hey all,
I am lotto lover, I am playing lottery more and more because I win mostly this is not totally luck I will follow lotto Millions tips. These are really great tips to win lottery. Enjoy this one.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM

No one yet has shown that her words are wrong. You have shown at best that she has not had to follow her own advice, but have given no evidence to show that she has never worked a day in her life building her wealth.

I know of people that have created wealth by working long hours and for the most part doing something that they love doing. I don't know anyone that created wealth by getting off work and heading over to the local bar and drinking the night a way. I don't know of anyone that has created wealth by getting off work and heading home to hang out and play video games, surfing the net, watching TV, or persuing any kind of entertainment for that matter. I just can't name a single person and know that none of you can name one either. I bet that you could come up with the names of people that made money by doing something, by building their own business, by even working a second job and using that money for investment purposes. One of the best ways to create wealth is to live within your means over a long period of time. You pay yourself first. For those that add working a second job or building a business to create wealth so much better for them. That is what my wife and I are doing. We see the future and will have a great life ahead of us. I know that it will happen and is happening now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing