Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times

Advertisements

She needs to go on a diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:06 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,219,094 times
Default You are so right on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
No one yet has shown that her words are wrong. You have shown at best that she has not had to follow her own advice, but have given no evidence to show that she has never worked a day in her life building her wealth.

I know of people that have created wealth by working long hours and for the most part doing something that they love doing. I don't know anyone that created wealth by getting off work and heading over to the local bar and drinking the night a way. I don't know of anyone that has created wealth by getting off work and heading home to hang out and play video games, surfing the net, watching TV, or persuing any kind of entertainment for that matter. I just can't name a single person and know that none of you can name one either. I bet that you could come up with the names of people that made money by doing something, by building their own business, by even working a second job and using that money for investment purposes. One of the best ways to create wealth is to live within your means over a long period of time. You pay yourself first. For those that add working a second job or building a business to create wealth so much better for them. That is what my wife and I are doing. We see the future and will have a great life ahead of us. I know that it will happen and is happening now.
I agree with you. I don't know of anyone who purchases items on impulse, purchases items on Wants and not Needs, who has any savings, they spend their money for today and they don't think about tomorrow. Sure, I would like to buy allot of things but do I need them? Do they serve me a purpose or fulfill me? Place your money in the stock market and let it ride. Only buy what you need and not what you want.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
She may not be the best example because she's not self made. But that doesn't make her words wrong. Even if she was self made, most of the people railing against her would probably say she cheated, had unfair advantages, blah, blah, blah.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Willy702,

I want to be very rich. Most people that I know want to be very rich. Ever play the lottery? Personally I don't play it because it is a fools game. Still people play because they want to get rich without working for it. I seem to only know 2 kinds of people. Those that are building wealth and those that are trying to win wealth. My wife and I will be debt free in 12 years or less. Our plan is to build a portfolio with a $6 million value (not counting the home) by the time we retire. I don't see that as wealthy though, just what we need to make it into retirement.

Josh u,

I only knew people that were borrowing on their homes to support a fantasy lifestyle. I remember one year taking the kids to school for the first day of school in our Chevy Astro Van and seeing all these new Hummers, BMW's, and mercedes Benz that people were driving. I had no idea at the time where the money was coming from. Everyone back in 2006 seemed so rich and I was the poor one. Imagine financing a $60,000 car with a loan from your home that will take you 10 to 20 years to pay off just because you want to keep up with the others that were doing the same thing. By the time the HELOC is paid off the car will be long gone.

Funny how things have changed. Many of those people either walked away from their homes or may still be in the process of doing that. I know of another family that paid $180,000 for a home 12 years ago and when it went up to $500,000 they borrowed to remodel the home, put in a pool and bought a couple new cars. They are still there but have realized how dumb that was.

You'll be debt free in 12 years? That is a very long time from now and nothing is guaranteed. 6 millions isn't a lot depending on income.

Good luck

Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,365,410 times
And some of us believe the best way to thrive is to pursue things other than the acquisition of wealth.

Today I left work exactly 8 hours after I started it. I got home, hugged the wife, played the Wii, and cooked a rocking pasta dish with oriental flavors and bacon. I then watched Chopped (a competitor program to MasterChef that features real chefs) while eating my food and taking notes.

I then did things that would make you blush reading it. So I shall refrain from talking it and just say I bet the walrus of a woman who spoke the words in the article has probably never had it that good.

Then I studied Japanese so I could communicate with the in-laws better one day.

My time is valuable to me. It's sad so many people feel theirs isn't and work so hard to get rich, and then have no time to appreciate their wealth or life and are wrapped up into the acquisition of more wealth.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,870,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
And some of us believe the best way to thrive is to pursue things other than the acquisition of wealth.

Today I left work exactly 8 hours after I started it. I got home, hugged the wife, played the Wii, and cooked a rocking pasta dish with oriental flavors and bacon. I then watched Chopped (a competitor program to MasterChef that features real chefs) while eating my food and taking notes.

I then did things that would make you blush reading it. So I shall refrain from talking it and just say I bet the walrus of a woman who spoke the words in the article has probably never had it that good.

Then I studied Japanese so I could communicate with the in-laws better one day.

My time is valuable to me. It's sad so many people feel theirs isn't and work so hard to get rich, and then have no time to appreciate their wealth or life and are wrapped up into the acquisition of more wealth.
hmm, yeah. I tend to agree. Money only gets you so far in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing