Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM

27,652 posts, read 28,750,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
You don't think that apple is a very solid company that has a lot going for it and this is just a good buying opportunity? Most times money is made when buying is done when others are running away.

I was against apple when it was 700 and people were talking about it going to 1000. Just as gold now is at all time highs and I never buy when the last chart looks like its a NASA launch. But Apple has a low P/E and its balance sheet looks very good. Last I looked I think that fair market was about 500? Not sure if thats still true and can't remember what article I read it in. But its still making a good product and has its fingers into many other things than just phones. So if you don't like Apple at 450 what is a good price? I bet most would buy at 150
I guess I invest in stocks a little differently than some people. I don't ever buy a stock on the way down. I look for it to make some headway before I jump in.

AAPL is down 35% over the last 4 months and down dramatically today especially. So, not a good time to buy as far as I'm concerned. Investors have clearly lost confidence in the stock. I do expect it to go back up eventually, given that they will have new products later this year. But I'm going to wait it out and see if anything changes in the coming weeks and months and signals a real turnaround for the stock.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-24-2013 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM

14,513 posts, read 20,713,050 times
If you watched CNBC Fast Money you heard that an analyst is calling the bottom.
Feb. 19th is the day the growth investors will be out and value investors move in.

Talk about threading a needle on a date.

However, the same analyst predicted the fall back in September.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,742,670 times
I love what is going on w/Apple right now and how so many people are getting slaughtered .....

It should teach people a lesson that shows them they don't know what they think they know.....

Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM

5,135 posts, read 4,494,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If you watched CNBC Fast Money you heard that an analyst is calling the bottom.
Feb. 19th is the day the growth investors will be out and value investors move in.

Talk about threading a needle on a date.

However, the same analyst predicted the fall back in September.
Yes, I saw that. I can't believe that he would be so specific. But then again, those institutions manipulate prices so much, he's probably in on the plan to keep tanking the stock until then.

In another month we'll see how his prediction pans out.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM

5,135 posts, read 4,494,883 times
AAPL just went below 443. It's headed to the 420s now.

Samsung's market share went from 9% to 30%. Apple is losing steam fast.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,968,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Yes, I saw that. I can't believe that he would be so specific. But then again, those institutions manipulate prices so much, he's probably in on the plan to keep tanking the stock until then.

If it is a transition for Apple from growth to value there is no manipulation going on. Manipulation always comes up when people lose money or didn't gain any when others did.

Apple's earning potentials are all in the future. Anyone buying a stock based on past earnings or profit should invest in something else. Where can Apple go? Its vaunted ecosystem is a shambles as it can't scale up or out. The iPhone is now blase and tired, their biggest rush is what material will the case be next time - woopie. Every other manufacturer is beating them in features and price. The Retina display was a joke and marketing gimmick. Their ads are almost insultingly stupid these days and the little ding dang dong at the end only reminds people they have little to say and rely upon imagination to get buyers.

Apple has gaps to 350 and if they aren't careful, below that too because as it's profits begin to weaken, all bets are off.

Unlike Microsoft, Apple doesn't have their entire company geared toward servicing businesses and consumers. At Apple, everything is decided by a very few people. An employee with a good idea? Doesn't exist at Apple because like many closed systems, how dare the student question the professor?

If as some analysts (and really, are they that smart?) claim, Apple is headed to a value stock instead of growth, you're going to see a settling at lower prices and there it will start to sit. Most individual investors in Apple right now depend on growth and aren't interested in value at the slightest. This past week they got a nearly 40% haircut and all of 2012 was a waste of time and potential. If value is the new Apple, then those investors will bail and that only precipitates further share price erosion.

But what do I know other than it would run down to 450 after a slight bounce up in the 500s and here it is.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post

Cramer has been pounding the table for Apple to get into social networking with a pocket change takeover of Twitter. As a Apple investor, I like Cramer's idea.

It's a little too late for Cook to increase the dividend, increase the share buyback.
That might have helped the day of earnings. He sure can't announce that now, based on the drop in the stock. I think they are making some announcement in February, maybe some positive news then.

It's a shame, they sell a massive 47.8 million iPhones when the estimate was 50.
Missed by 4.6% and the stock craters 12.7%.

If there ever was a stock needing a dead cat bounce, it is Apple.

Last edited by howard555; 01-25-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM

795 posts, read 1,393,346 times
Quote:
As a Apple investor
Have you ever held the stock longer than one year? How about five?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
Have you ever held the stock longer than one year? How about five?
Your question would revert back to other threads, where people have debated the definition of an investor.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:06 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,042,258 times
Quote:
If there ever was a stock needing a dead cat bounce, it is Apple.
Huh?

I'm not sure you understand the full meaning of the dead cat analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing