Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 10:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Lots of professional fears about a high yield liquidity crisis if a lot of folks bail at the same time. A lot of really junk debt has been sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
their fears are correct. it is a relatively thinly traded market in comparison and it is hard to sell much of anything without driving down the price with your own sale.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
their fears are correct. it is a relatively thinly traded market in comparison and it is hard to sell much of anything without driving down the price with your own sale.
And thus a credit bubble that could smear some folks. Monitor: insight I don't believe has any portfolios with.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:04 PM

only one fund in the high yield area still used and it was cut by 50% last week

Old 07-04-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
only one fund in the high yield area still used and it was cut by 50% last week
Nice July write up warning against

Old 07-06-2014, 09:51 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,856 times
Default Totally BUSTED in 2008 & still BUSTED in 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations
So 500k invested and 50k dry? A drop really isn't going to help much
Yep, the 'elitists' are going to profit (like they always do) when this pent-up** correction takes place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
it has been an amazing run and once again shows the chicken littles are a lot poorer for it. as they say markets love climbing a wall of worry.
FYI/FWIW: 'The market' may like the proverbial "wall of worry", but I highly doubt that individual investors—especially learned shoeshine investors—like it.

**IMO, the deferred correction(s) will all come-out @ the same time; there's too much sloth/idle portfolios preventing 'the market'/Economy from operating correctly.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:01 PM

ha ha ha ha dr doom visits again........

Old 07-24-2014, 07:43 AM

1,553 posts, read 925,394 times
Yesterday the broad market index bagged its 26th record-high close (1,987) of the year ... and is closing in on that 2,000 level.

Fight the tape at your own peril...

Old 08-04-2014, 06:11 PM

518 posts, read 764,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
FYI/FWIW: 'The market' may like the proverbial "wall of worry", but I highly doubt that individual investors—especially learned shoeshine investors—like it.
Individual investor have been shown in studies to behave irrationally when it comes to reacting to financial news. Look up the book Your Money Your Brain by Zweig. It's a fascinating new field on neuro-economics.

People have a recency bias where they tend to go with what was most recently happening, irregardless of what long-term outcome has already been proven out.

Example: in our current bull market, what most people think may be (Oh yes its going up, I better not get left out in the side lines so I better buy in). This is probably the wrong side to take because in a bull market prices going up means stocks are expensive so one should not allocate as much (ie, rebalancing according to their target asset allocation).

In a bear market (2000, 2008), what most people think is (OMG, I am losing half my money, wall street is terrible, look at all the money I lost, I'm never gonna trust my money to wall street again!) They pull out when stocks were at bargain basement prices and they miss out on the huge run back subsequently. In a bear market, if you can, you need to back up the truck and get in on the equity sale.

There is a piece I read about a high earning physician couple who sold out of their stocks in 2008 after the markets crashed. I mean they were scared about losing all their money.

Then in 2013, last year (in the biggest bull year in a long time, 30% return by the market, insane) they bought back in because they said they could afford to sit on the sidelines.

Those poor poor souls. Acting exactly the opposite of what SHOULD'VE been done.

They sold low (2008) and bought high (very high, 2013).

When they should've bought low (keep saving and investing in 2008, regardless of panic) and then sold high (2013, they should be very careful about the bull, allocate money as determined by their target asset allocation and this likely means more money into bonds and cash)

There's a 60min piece I watched that told of the doom and gloom of the people who were losing their retirement after the 2008/2009 financial collapse. HELLO!?!?!?!?? if you are nearing retirement why the heck are you that heavy in stocks...so much that you are going to be down 40-50%?!?!?!!?! They probably have no idea what asset allocation means.

When I am nearing retirement I could care less if the market dropped 90%. I will be very low equity at that point and I would have already through my years of high saving and low cost investing holding out for the long-run that I would have already a very sizeable portfolio by that time. So it will be relatively safer assets than equity.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 PM

More and more top researchers are concluding that conventional retirement plannung has been doing more harm then good to folks who need to depend on living off their portfolios.

Folks need more equities and not less as they go through retirement then was thought historically.

Best results are anticipated now by reducing equities to around 35-40% prior to entering retirement. Then dollar cost average back in each year by 1%.

That rising glide path protects the early years from steep drops while still having gains to support income then slowly builds levels back up to wherever you are comfortable.

My own target now that i am retiring is to rise from about the 40% we are at to about 50% 10 years down the road.

50/50 is the most popular retirement allocation ,the rising glide path just gets you to that point with a bit more protection against drops early on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing