Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 AM

25,590 posts, read 17,318,658 times

Advertisements

Seems like everyone has a piece of truth about gold. The problem with gold is that I don't get to look at earnings, cash flow, current ratio, and all the other stuff. As someone says "it is what it is" and I will add, "It will be what it will be".

In another thread I threw rocks at University of Texas Endowment Fund for buying 1 billion $ in gold bullion. And now they want to squabble about where it is being held - or "held" as one person said. It just seems to me that the whole gold thing is like a runaway train.
On the other hand, when I was a kid it was 32$/Oz. Shoulda bought some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM

805 posts, read 1,873,989 times
Gold like an commodity can overshoot on the upside and downside. Such predictions about fair value are worthless. The facts are simple, gold is now trending lower and we have no idea how long or short (in time and distance) this trend will be.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM

795 posts, read 1,392,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
gold is a currency at heart no different than the dollar , the yen or any other. its value is where ever it floats against the others.

5000 years of history says it aint going to zero and is the one currency that no gov't can print .

good or bad it is what it is..
That's the funny part, math (you're right). Everyone knows currency has no intrinsic value, just a market value (its price).

I don't think it would go to zero, but the simple fact is, it doesn't produce. Without cash flow to back it, it's an amateur play.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 PM

106,759 posts, read 108,973,015 times
not that i am a gold bug at all but i will gladely take a chance with an asset that has survived 5,000 years which is far beyond any company on the planet.

certain things like diamonds and precious metals and even art work have intrinsic values that are ageless.

Back in the 1970's 1 dollar bought 1/35 of an ounce of gold. , today 1 dollar buys 1/1400th of an ounce of gold so there is a store of value going on there..

in fact going back to the 1800's 1 ounce bought a good mans suit and a pair of good shoes.

today 1 ounce still gets a good mans suit and a pair of shoes.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM

995 posts, read 3,931,383 times
Just out of curiosity, what is the correlation coefficient between gold and sp500?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-16-2013, 02:48 PM

795 posts, read 1,392,340 times
I view it more as a fallen angel, like Eastman Kodak, Pitney Bowes, Pan Am, newspapers, et al.

For a while it essentially had a monopoly on the currency market. Then fiat destroyed it - now it can't compete. And don't think its limited supply is any competitive advantage. It's not.

Anything with limited supply is going to have a "novelty premium." But don't mistake this novelty premium for intrinsic value. Cash flow is imperative for intrinsic value to exist.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
1100-1400. Cost to get into circulation including a fair profit.

That being said I won't buy any until it drops below 1000. and silver into the singles.

I've bought then sold physical gold and silver only 6 times in the last 30 years. Each time I made a killing.

I have a few of these that i'll never sell for you know the....... Zombie Apocalypse.

CombiBar - Gold and Silver Bullion CombiBars

Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,897,773 times
The way I see gold it requires a double confidence in order to have any value. That is, gold's value to me is what I think its value is to you. There are very few things that can be bought with gold, importantly I have to pay my tax in Australian dollars, I can't roll up to the Treasury and hand over a few gold coins.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 AM

106,759 posts, read 108,973,015 times
we don't actually spend gold but being a currency gold can be converted to any currency in the world at any time.

it is the once currency accepted world wide in exchange for local money.

why buy diamonds or any collectable for the most part either. they all are only valued at what the world will pay at any given time.

but like i said 5,000 years of a track record of being accepted anywhere on the planet is enough of a track record for me to qualify as an asset class the same as real estate , commodities and collectables would be.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,786,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
Gold's intrinsic value is essentially $0.
Since the human race began using gold as a medium for buying good and services, gold has NEVER been worthless. The same can't be said for dozen's of countries currency, which did became worthless. Gold is a hedge against inflation, the simple fact is if you feel your countries currency is stable, gold is over priced and if you think your currency is unstable, it's under priced.

Personally I rather have a safe full of gold then any countries currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing