Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times

Advertisements

I already have a small portfolio that's worth pennies compared to some of yours but nonetheless its a decent start. I know this isn't really the best time to purchase stocks because although the market is high, its always good to buy low and sell high so I already have funds set aside for the next time a recession takes place so it can be pumped into stocks. So my question really is this, what's a decent stock that will appreciate over time that doesn't cost much? I'm really considering investing in 3-D Printing companies, well there's three that I want to invest in just incase one fails, hopefully the other is doing well. Do you guys think 3-D Printing companies are something that should be invested in seriously?

Thanks for the input, if you guys have any other stock suggestions please suggest them.

Btw, is there a way to find out when companies launch their IPO's? Those are the companies I really would like to invest in as opposed to well-established companies that my portfolio mostly consist of.

EDIT:
http://www.ipomonitor.com/pages/ipo-filings.html

Do you all think this website looks legit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:21 AM

53 posts, read 118,811 times
3-D is risky. You'll win big, or lose big.

IPO's are hard to get into without connections or a lot of money. Most IPO's skyrocket, before falling on their face. You can buy it once they fall on their face.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Consider this:

Learn to invest by looking at balance sheets and earnings report instead of making educated guesses.

You could do that my going to Marketwatch.com (for example; there are lots of sites), entering in the symbol of the company you are looking at, and then going to the 'financials' folder. If you have no business background, the earnings statement is the easiest to follow. It shows sales for the last 4 or 5 years. That way you can spot companies that are growing.

Learning to invest by using the fundamentals of the company will bring you much better results than the usual, "I just really believe that people are gonna......" style, which wipes out so many investors.

There are many sites out there who offer articles and advice on fundamental analysis.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,734,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
so I already have funds set aside for the next time a recession takes place so it can be pumped into stocks.
Its really amazing how so many people think they know when the markets will go up and down....gotta love the blowhards in the financial media who prey on so many naive investors.....

Can you tell me w/your time machine/crystal ball when these events will happen? (because its pretty much useless to market time AFTER these events have occured....)

Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Minimum trade should be $500 otherwise commission will instantly put you in a big loss.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Its really amazing how so many people think they know when the markets will go up and down....gotta love the blowhards in the financial media who prey on so many naive investors.....

Can you tell me w/your time machine/crystal ball when these events will happen? (because its pretty much useless to market time AFTER these events have occured....)
I don't know when the markets will go up or down, I never suggested having that knowledge; what I did suggest is that the economy or more specifically the stock markets will go back down as part of the business economic cycle. Don't know what the economic cycle is? Expansion, Downturn, Recession/Depression, Recovery, Expansion, Downturn, Recession/Depression, Recovery, Etc.

Tim B. CampbellEcon: Explaining theories of business cycles

Its impossible for a stock market to keep bubbling without ever popping, when the next pop occurs I'm planning on purchasing stocks while the cost is low, and once the economy is back in full swing and the stock market is back high, I'll sell the stocks I purchased during the recession. The most intelligent of investors know to do that. I'm fairly ignorant in investing as I'm only 21 years old and I just began investing last year, but I do realize how the economy works and I know when to invest lots of cash and when not to invest lots of cash. Would you buy a stock like Apple when its at it's peak, then sell back when its low or would you buy low and sell when it looks like its at its peak? I mean its just common sense to say buy low and sell high; I'm not hoping the stock market crashes but when it does I'm prepared to invest cash. Is that wrong? I'm still investing while the stock market is high as seen in my OP, but I'm doing my major investing later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Minimum trade should be $500 otherwise commission will instantly put you in a big loss.
Minimum to invest into one share, minimum to invest into the stock market, or what? My portfolio all together is approaching over $1,000 worth of stocks, I'm just attempting to continue diversifying that's why I'm looking at 3-D Printing Companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfloberg View Post
3-D is risky. You'll win big, or lose big.

IPO's are hard to get into without connections or a lot of money. Most IPO's skyrocket, before falling on their face. You can buy it once they fall on their face.
Understandable, I think that's why I want to own a few 3-D companies shares. If one fails, I could still hopefully win with another.

Last edited by BMORE; 04-19-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 02:22 PM

879 posts, read 1,963,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
1) He never said anything about PREDICTING anything.

2) If you're going to market time, doing it "AFTER these events have occurred" is exactly the BEST time to do it. For long-term investors, loading up on stocks after prolonged misery in the market--you know, when 60% of the people on investing forums are threatening to bail out of their 401ks at several-year lows--is much better than trying to predict the BEGINNING of these trends. Those who attempt the latter are those you should be targeting with your "crystal ball" comments. But buying when the market's depressed is just smart investing.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
@BMOREBOY:

To invest per trade. When you buy or sell a stock you pay commission. Generally, they range from$7-$10 depending on the brokerage. It doesn't matter if you buy $1 or 1 share or $100,000 or 1,000 shares. The commission will be the same. Let's assume your brokerage takes $7 for commission. That means you will start out with a 3.5% loss ($7 is 3.5% of $200). Then, you'll need to pay another $7 when you sell it. Does this make sense to you? The more money you use per trade, the less loss you will start out with. $500 should be the minimum per trade. I would keep saving until you have at least this amount.

You shouldn't look at a stock's price to determine whether it is expensive. A $500 stock that makes $10 billion in profit and has $50 billion cash is cheaper than a $3 stock that makes $1 million in profit and has $1 billion of debt.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I don't know when the markets will go up or down, I never suggested having that knowledge; what I did suggest is that the economy or more specifically the stock markets will go back down as part of the business economic cycle. Don't know what the economic cycle is? Expansion, Downturn, Recession/Depression, Recovery, Expansion, Downturn, Recession/Depression, Recovery, Etc.

Tim B. CampbellEcon: Explaining theories of business cycles

Its impossible for a stock market to keep bubbling without ever popping, when the next pop occurs I'm planning on purchasing stocks while the cost is low, and once the economy is back in full swing and the stock market is back high, I'll sell the stocks I purchased during the recession. The most intelligent of investors know to do that. I'm fairly ignorant in investing as I'm only 21 years old and I just began investing last year, but I do realize how the economy works and I know when to invest lots of cash and when not to invest lots of cash. Would you buy a stock like Apple when its at it's peak, then sell back when its low or would you buy low and sell when it looks like its at its peak? I mean its just common sense to say buy low and sell high; I'm not hoping the stock market crashes but when it does I'm prepared to invest cash. Is that wrong? I'm still investing while the stock market is high as seen in my OP, but I'm doing my major investing later on.

Minimum to invest into one share, minimum to invest into the stock market, or what? My portfolio all together is approaching over $1,000 worth of stocks, I'm just attempting to continue diversifying that's why I'm looking at 3-D Printing Companies.

Understandable, I think that's why I want to own a few 3-D companies shares. If one fails, I could still hopefully win with another.

You said you want to buy low and sell high.

Again, you have no idea when the right time is to jump in and out. Hence, you have no crystal ball.

Guys on wall st who are paid 6 and 7 figures can't even figure it out correctly.

What makes you (some guy behind a keyboard) think you can do it successfully better than Wall St.?

What's your magic formula??

Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
1) He never said anything about PREDICTING anything.

2) If you're going to market time, doing it "AFTER these events have occurred" is exactly the BEST time to do it. For long-term investors, loading up on stocks after prolonged misery in the market--you know, when 60% of the people on investing forums are threatening to bail out of their 401ks at several-year lows--is much better than trying to predict the BEGINNING of these trends. Those who attempt the latter are those you should be targeting with your "crystal ball" comments. But buying when the market's depressed is just smart investing.
He said he wants to buy low and sell high. Duh, would anyone else want to do the opposite unless they are shorting a stock?

Again, you nor anyone else here knows what the markets will do in the short term....

Its futile to try to predict these things..

If you don't believe me, just go back a year or two on these investing threads and see how well everyone's predictions are......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing