Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:24 AM

106,572 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

the spread between the two grew in sept.

the etf model is now negative 20k with international and commodities taking the biggest hits pulling the model south.. DBC(COMMODITY ETF) IS DOWN 17K AND VXUS (international) HAS FALLEN 15K doing the lions share of damages.

the managed fund fidelity insight model is still up 40k . at the highs the etf model was up 67k and the fidelity model up 73k. they both began life with equal amounts.

this is why i say over and over your own entrance and exit points coupled with market action trumps lowest expenses and indexing by far.

in the real world there is a time indexing does better and a time managed funds do better and rarely does the comparison work out like in the static lab comparisons.

well on to next month.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-02-2014 at 02:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 03:05 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
So, would you say that either method has produced better results than a similarly weighted and long term strategy of index funds and a good multisector bond fund? If so, by what percentage?

Old 10-02-2014, 03:31 AM

it is hard to say because you can never compare apples to apples because the portfolios are all different. a lot depends on your entrance timing.

as you see the more conservative holdings in the fidelity model i use is blowing away the etf model . but if we were in the early stages of the bull market results would be different i am sure.

but i can say and document that the last 26 years have seen the fidelity insight growth model beat a s&p500/ total market fund by around 500k with an initial investment of 100k, 1.9 million to about 1.4 million.

of course the insight model has a lot more diversificatiion and types of funds so putting together an equal mix of etf's and comparing is very difficult and many funds used have no equals to compare against.

exploiting a fund like fidelity export and multinational at times of a weak dollar and swapping it for a fidelity fund weighted more for a strong dollar when the big picture changes has no etf equals as an example and while neither fund beat its index ,working together they surpassed it.

there really is not a good way to compare what would have been.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-02-2014 at 03:54 AM..

Old 10-02-2014, 04:03 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
I'll have to look into something like fidelity insight. From what I can tell I have been doing something similar myself for the past 20 years, but I am sure they could do better and there are times I am simply frozen and not sure what to do next. At present, I am mostly index with a few specialty funds (healthcare, midcap growth) for added octane and some multi-sector bond funds. I have been avoiding international since 2009, but know there must be some good plays there.

As the stakes get higher (age and balances) it makes sense to start paying someone to do what they (as a team) do best.
Plus, the whole issue with the stronger dollar is something to be considered seriously. This years weakness in growth and small caps
has had an adverse affect on my portfolio. One of my 80/20 portfolios is only at 4.44% YTD and I feel I could have done better.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:39 AM

I need the discipline. I need someone to take calling the shots off my shoulders . All i would do is plot my next move or 2nd guess the moves i did. I know better and leave it to a 3rd party.

been the best thing I did for 26 years now

Old 11-01-2014, 07:32 AM

the etf model took a nice jump in october after being down as much as 40k it ended the month up 20k. that was a 60k swing.

the fidelity insight model i hold was up 50k so the gap is still around 30k favoring the higher cost managed funds i hold.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:46 AM

879 posts, read 1,961,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the managed fund fidelity insight model is still up 40k . at the highs the etf model was up 67k and the fidelity model up 73k. they both began life with equal amounts.

this is why i say over and over your own entrance and exit points coupled with market action trumps lowest expenses and indexing by far.
You DO say that over and over , but I don't think any knowledgeable investor disagrees with that, as it's a pretty obvious point, IMO. However, the argument for indexing & lower expenses has never been that it's MORE IMPORTANT than timing or allocation--I don't believe I've heard anyone here suggest that. Rather, it gives you an additional edge that can end up being very significant over the long term, regardless of whatever else you do. Sure, an investor can screw up those other things, and the impact of that will likely be too much for lower expenses to make up for, but he likely would have made the same bad moves investing in more expensive (actively-managed) funds ANYWAY--so he STILL comes out ahead of where he would have been by going with the lower-cost funds. (In general, on average, based on the historical outperformance of index funds vs. managed funds, yada, yada, yada.)

If you're a race car driver, the outcome of the race will mostly depend upon your driving skill--OF COURSE--but you're still going to want the car that's a little faster than the others, right? What driver is going to eschew the faster car "because he won't win anyway if he drives a poor race?"

Also, I don't think in this thread you're really comparing apples to apples, and I would say that the disparity in returns to this point likely has more to do with simple ALLOCATION than being an example of superior "timing and market action." (Yes, I realize that allocation and the other two are related.)

Also, part deux, if you're going to do this exercise, I personally think it would be much more meaningful to report PERCENTAGE gains/losses than dollar amounts. I have no idea whether "up 40K" means up 5% or 50%, so it doesn't tell me much.

Don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you, Math. You do a lot of good work.

Last edited by LongArm; 11-01-2014 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 10:58 AM

it is more of just a personal monitoring thing no different than hypothetically tracking a potential stock.

the etf mix is one i like but i am monitoring it through the volatility we are having and posting the results each month as we move along

Old 11-01-2014, 11:12 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is more of just a personal monitoring thing no different than hypothetically tracking a potential stock.

the etf mix is one i like but i am monitoring it through the volatility we are having and posting the results each month as we move along
Does your insight model have any int'l funds and commodities in it ? And your ETF model does and you are comparing returns?

Old 11-01-2014, 11:39 AM

nope not at all and that is why the comparison between the two is something i am very interested in watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing