Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 05:41 AM

106,634 posts, read 108,773,903 times

Advertisements

as i mentioned a few times i have been tracking an interesting looking low cost etf model portfolio for a few months now.

we are looking for a 40-50% equity position since we are retiring and have cut back our aggressivness years ago.

i am tracking the etf model against the fidelity models i have been using for years. the expenses run higher with the fidelity models so i would like nothing more than to see the etf model pull a head .

i would make the switch over a few years to ease the tax bill. because of some real estate sales this year i do not want to add any more taxable sales so anything i do will be next tax year.

anyway to date the 2 portfolios got the closest ever a few weeks ago before the etf fell behind again . a few feeks ago they got pretty close to each other since the etf fell about 14k and made it back up to being only 3k behind .

as of the close friday the etf model is back down to 12k behind the fidelty mix..

i will update the results every month.

for comparison i have 2/3's in the fidelity insight income model and 1/3 in the fidelity insight growth and income model.

since we pay for subscription advice i can't disclose the actual holdings ,but here is the etf as i structured it.

both are holding 2 years withdrawals in cash instruments and started with equal amounts.

keep in mind the etf model is not designed as much for growth as for lower volatility, inflation protection and income.

the retirement portfolio i find interesting is :

2 years of withdrawals in cash in bucket 1. that is about 8% of the total

BUCKET 2

6% in BSV VANGUARD SHORT TERM BOND INDEX ETF

10% BND VANGUARD TOTAL BOND ETF

03% LQD I-SHARES INVESTMENT GRADE CORPORATE BONDS ETF

7% VTIP VANGUARD SHORT TERM INFLATION PROTECTED BONDS

5% VANGUARD WELLESLEY INCOME FUND (ONLY NON ETF).

BUCKET 3

23% VIG VANGUARD DIVIDEND APPRECIATION ETF

14% VTI VANGUARD TOTAL MARKET ETF

13% VXUS VANGUARD TOTAL INTERNATIONAL ETF

5% JNK BARCLAYS HIGH YIELD BOND ETF

5% DBC COMMODITY FUND ETF

NUMBERS ARE ROUNDED OFF.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-15-2014 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 AM

49 posts, read 69,133 times
Morning Mathjak,

Really interesting comparison, and it's
good to see some of the Funds that
you've been interested in.

Also, seeing your using the
Three Bucket system.

I'm getting closer to my Retirement
and this has still been the system
that for me will give me the most
confidence in our retirement years.

Thanks again for sharing, Take Care,

CK

Old 06-17-2014, 02:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
guy from insight/monitor thinks you get your money's worth with fidelity, I believe that was your position as well.

I have personally used their portfolios and made my own adjustments. I also made an effort to reduce my # of holdings so I knocked off some of the funds and also moved out of some of their stuff into some ETF's to reduce my taxes.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:16 PM

whatever works for you. it isn't their picks are so good. it is the discipline of letting them call the shots that makes it work for me.i always think i can do better and i know me. i would try to time,tinker and always think about my next move.

not ever thinking about this stuff anymore or in fact the last 25 years makes it priceless . there was a time i thought about my next move 24/7

Old 06-17-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxPanther View Post
Morning Mathjak,

Really interesting comparison, and it's
good to see some of the Funds that
you've been interested in.

Also, seeing your using the
Three Bucket system.

I'm getting closer to my Retirement
and this has still been the system
that for me will give me the most
confidence in our retirement years.

Thanks again for sharing, Take Care,

CK
it is only a model i am tracking , never used it.

here is another model geared towards a retiree from bob clyatt.

20% VFINX S&P500
8% VTMSX Tax Managed Small
6% VGTSX Total International Equity
10% VINEX Internat'l Explorer (small)
6% VEIEX Emerging Markets
30% VBIIX Intermediate Bond Index
11% BEGBX International Bond
5% VGSIX REIT Index
4% Money Market Fund

Old 07-01-2014, 03:00 AM

end of june update. the managed model pulled a head after the etf portfolio got as close as 2k mid month.

fidelity insight model i use now up just about 20k more than the etf model. last month is was up a 12k difference.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
whatever works for you. it isn't their picks are so good. it is the discipline of letting them call the shots that makes it work for me.i always think i can do better and i know me. i would try to time,tinker and always think about my next move.

not ever thinking about this stuff anymore or in fact the last 25 years makes it priceless . there was a time i thought about my next move 24/7
It isn't just their picks but the timing of when to get in and when to get out of specific funds. Bottom line is can the individual do a better job of picking and timing over time. I suspect most can't, absent index investing or another model.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:05 PM

july comes to a close and the etf portfolio got pounded. the 1/3 fidelity insight growth model and 2/3 the fidelity insight capital preservation model were within about 2k of each other last month with the fidelity portfolios up 70k and the etf portfolio up 68k.

well july brought the fidelity model down to just being up up 38k and the low cost etf model only up 6700.00..

that is the widest spread yet at 31k difference between the two .

Old 07-31-2014, 04:40 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
What's the starting value of each? Just to put the gap or swings into perspective

Old 07-31-2014, 04:53 PM

I think it was about 2.5 or 2.6 million but each model also contained a few years of withdrawals in cash which was a few hundred thousand just simulate what a full plan make look like.

I started looking in to a model made up of etf's put together by christine benz back in april.

When i got the idea to possibly switch to a 50/50 etf mix from my 40% equity combo i set both portfolios to zero gaiins so they started even on the same day.

No question the etf mix will outperform the more conservative mix i use in a

bull market. The big question is what will we have going forward.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-31-2014 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing