Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I appreciate you guys trying to explain it to me, so I will bite.

You guys have heard of Putin, right ? Putin need oil to trade at $100, and what you are telling me is obstacle to Putin, It'ss a lack of war on Arabian Peninsula, right ?
I think you are starting to get the idea this isn't the same as a CD. There is a lot of debate and uncertainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 12:25 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I think you are starting to get the idea this isn't the same as a CD. There is a lot of debate and uncertainty.
now your picking on words, you like sounding smart.

Yes a CD is fed insured and this is an equity investment, the risk factors differ and rewards also differ.

now, What takeout should I order ?

Old 03-28-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
now your picking on words, you like sounding smart.

Yes a CD is fed insured and this is an equity investment, the risk factors differ and rewards also differ.

now, What takeout should I order ?
Read what you wrote I'm not picking on words, I'm picking on your entire mindset and thought process.

Quote:
I got oil for long term (that means year +), it's like a CD with a maturity date. .

You need to realize your mistakes otherwise you will lose money long-term.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Read what you wrote I'm not picking on words, I'm picking on your entire mindset and thought process.

You need to realize your mistakes otherwise you will lose money long-term.

nahh, talking to you is somewhat pointless.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:12 PM

18 posts, read 23,366 times
I'm making a long term play on oil bouncing back. I don't think that the prices of barrels will reach over $100 anytime soon but some of these middle eastern countries and the US cannot keep selling oil for cheap for a longer time. A lot of these middle eastern countries need the barrels to be a certain price to cover expenses and to support their economy. As a consumer, i'm happy that gas is cheap. As a trader, I know that there is a beginning and ending to everything and there are too much polities involve with oil. I'm only investing cash that I can afford to lose in with the UWTI leverage ETN at this time. I have it in a separate investment account that is not tied to my IRA portfolios. If oil bounces back, good for me. If now, well I have blown money on worse things before so I would be okay in the process.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
nahh, talking to you is somewhat pointless.
lol, you don't want to read what you wrote?

Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
lol, you don't want to read what you wrote?
go short oil !

Old 03-28-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
go short oil !
Like I previously said, I personally would not buy or short oil right now. What I have been telling you over and over again, yet you still don't seem to understand is buying an oil etf or etn is nothing like buying a CD with a maturity date. There is a lot of risk and uncertainty with an oil etf or etn, where as a CD is virtually risk free at least when it comes to your initial principal. To confuse the two together shows a great lack of logic and knowledge on your part and any novice investors that have the misfortune to read your bull need to be aware of that. There is nothing wrong with buying oil now, but you can't view it as a risk free investment. However, as of now I would stay away from it unless its a company like XOM etc.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Like I previously said, I personally would not buy or short oil right now. What I have been telling you over and over again, yet you still don't seem to understand is buying an oil etf or etn is nothing like buying a CD with a maturity date. There is a lot of risk and uncertainty with an oil etf or etn, where as a CD is virtually risk free at least when it comes to your initial principal. To confuse the two together shows a great lack of logic and knowledge on your part and any novice investors that have the misfortune to read your bull need to be aware of that. There is nothing wrong with buying oil now, but you can't view it as a risk free investment. However, as of now I would stay away from it unless its a company like XOM etc.

You have miss-understood my initial statement, I compare ETF purchase to CD in terms of maturity date, not in terms of risk. I realize that a CD is fed insured and OIL EFT is considered to be a high risk investment.

It's like a CD, becouse there is a maturity date which is next year. I will re-evaluate my position then. My 2014 long term positions are up around 35%, I think I will make at least that return. In the mean while I am monitoring the price, if UCO drops to $5, I will get more UCO. I will similarly get more USO.

The problem is that you seem to misunderstand me often. and you don't seem to present anything interesting..

Old 04-07-2015, 09:04 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,866 times
Quote:
You have miss-understood my initial statement, I compare ETF purchase to CD in terms of maturity date, not in terms of risk. I realize that a CD is fed insured and OIL EFT is considered to be a high risk investment.

OP here...what i bought is an OIL ETN....which is even worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing