Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 PM

488 posts, read 822,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
from a friend:

If we are to financially survive the next economic money crises, we must do ‘event trading’ (earnings announcements, acquisitions by big companies who gobble up little companies, GDP, FOMC minutes, and other significant ‘events’.)
Here you go, an Arbitrage event-driven mutual fund:
AEDFX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 PM

26,218 posts, read 21,725,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
AEDFX
Who doesn't like paying a point and a half for mediocre ?

Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,806,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Oh ok, I didn't realize you were speaking about a specific person. Yeah, one of the reasons why I use trading ranges and moving averages is because it gets rid of all the noise about a dollar collapse, war, economic problems etc. All of those things doesn't matter if the ETF or stock is within the trading range.
Thanks, I thought I was begining to be the ostrich with her head in the sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
AEDFX
I will check that out, thank you!!!!!!!

This person peddling advice sold off his Chevron not only b/c they cut the dividend, but supposedly borrowed a large amount of money.

I happened to remember that in recent years Microsoft or Apple did the same thing, borrowed a big chunk of cash.

Why did they do it? Not because they couldn't cover payroll, because of low interest rates it was cheap money that could be used to expand the business! Doh!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 AM

472 posts, read 517,042 times
Quote:
Thanks, I thought I was begining to be the ostrich with her head in the sand

I will check that out, thank you!!!!!!!

This person peddling advice sold off his Chevron not only b/c they cut the dividend, but supposedly borrowed a large amount of money.

I happened to remember that in recent years Microsoft or Apple did the same thing, borrowed a big chunk of cash.

Why did they do it? Not because they couldn't cover payroll, because of low interest rates it was cheap money that could be used to expand the business! Doh!
In case of AAPL, they could well afford it because of the big stock pile of cash that they have - outside the US :-). My understanding is that AAPL isn't borrowing to necessarily expand the business but to fund their buyback programs.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:35 AM

Thanks, TDL. Advice person sent me this article about J&J's huge buyback-in the end the shares haven't shrunk, so what's the point? J&J earnings report due out tomorrow.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3064...ce=google_news

Old 04-14-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks, TDL. Advice person sent me this article about J&J's huge buyback-in the end the shares haven't shrunk, so what's the point? J&J earnings report due out tomorrow.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3064...ce=google_news
This is THE point the author is trying to hammer-in

Quote:
In other words, JNJ's buyback program isn't really intended to reduce the share count. Rather, it's intended to maintain the share count as JNJ uses its stock as currency to pay its people and to make acquisitions. This is somewhat unique and in particular, in the large cap dividend space but JNJ is making it work. I just wish it didn't dilute so heavily each year.
So, dilute shareholding through employee stock options..and when the shareholding is diluted..do a buyback (zero sum game). Use the re-garnered stock towards acquisitions..and the same game is played all over again.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:57 PM

Thanks, TDL. Just read another article about buybacks seem to be a good thing.......

'The biggest surprise this year might be the fact that ultra-low interest rates could spur enough mergers, buyouts and share buy-backs to (1) lower the number of available shares on the Big Board, and (2) reduce the volume of names to choose from. Buy-backs generate rising earnings per share, even if total earnings are flat, while mergers can reduce the number of available names to buy, drawing more attention to the remaining share names. In the meantime, those who hold target takeover stocks can reap windfall profits.'

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3068...partner_penton

Old 04-15-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks, TDL. Just read another article about buybacks seem to be a good thing.......

'The biggest surprise this year might be the fact that ultra-low interest rates could spur enough mergers, buyouts and share buy-backs to (1) lower the number of available shares on the Big Board, and (2) reduce the volume of names to choose from. Buy-backs generate rising earnings per share, even if total earnings are flat, while mergers can reduce the number of available names to buy, drawing more attention to the remaining share names. In the meantime, those who hold target takeover stocks can reap windfall profits.'

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3068...partner_penton
All the above could/should/shall happen for companies to show YoY EPS growth given the strong dollar and the middling ground that the economy is still in.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:32 AM

YoY EPS

TDL, I hate sounding like a bimbo, but can you translate that for me? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
YoY EPS

TDL, I hate sounding like a bimbo, but can you translate that for me? Thanks.
No problem, CCc girl. The whole point of being on this forum is to educate ourselves.

Year-over-Year Earnings Per Share growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing