Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:36 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
You have time to tell me what you disagree with the James Altucher article on?
I'll bite.

Most of Altucher's concerns would be addressed by buy and hold index investing.

His one counter to diversification is based on two people who built their fortunes on "one stock", and then one of those stocks (BRK) is actually pretty well-diversified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 10:42 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I'll bite.

Most of Altucher's concerns would be addressed by buy and hold index investing.

His one counter to diversification is based on two people who built their fortunes on "one stock", and then one of those stocks (BRK) is actually pretty well-diversified.
his main argument is you are too stupid to get out of your own way (likely to buy high, sell low). If you think that is the case for yourself then he is probably right.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:49 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
his main argument is you are too stupid to get out of your own way (likely to buy high, sell low). If you think that is the case for yourself then he is probably right.
It's kind of similar to the argument that "all debt is bad" because some people let it get them into trouble.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 PM

472 posts, read 515,296 times
Quote:
In relation to if business investing is speculation, I would say yes, but the difference is that you are actually investing in things such as equipment, marketing, hiring, etc. that are doing some form of direct stimulation of the economy.
How is one speculation different from another?

All the things you are saying were possible because of an investor (angel investor/vc). So, if your saying only companies stimulate the economy then those very companies exist because of the investor. A company needs capital and that can only be provided by investors. Those early investors who get the company off the ground and make it profitable at some point want to exit and they pass it on to the next investor, who see's value in the company.

Quote:
By buying stocks, you are on the secondary market and you are not investing in the companies that underlie. You are trading stocks back and forth with other traders. There's no real "wealth" or "production" being created, it's all on paper.

Do you see what I'm saying? Do you disagree with me that it's all on paper and there's no production being made?
I understand what you're saying but what you attribute are the "trader" & not a "investor" (I hope you realize the difference between the two). This is akin to comparing somebody putting money into 3mo/6mo cd's versus somebody doing a 5-yr cd. A trader is going to have choppy returns but an investor with a good allocation plan will do as well as the market or sometimes even better.

The other point that I see with you is it looks like you're a person who looks for 'tangibility' in his investments (a investment property is something that can be seen or felt). My wife's like that too and she lot of times can't understand why I want to invest in the markets (especially like black monday) because she's a hard-asset investor. So, if you're like her and feel that CDs are the only game in town for you then go ahead with all your conviction but what we find a problem is calling the other game in town fake.

At the end of the day even the business you run is indirectly dependent on the markets. So, however you see it (or don't want to in your case), you're part of the market too.

Quote:
In terms of what if people speculating are okay with the risk and what's the problem with that, I keep telling you sir, I don't have a problem with that. Why do you keep asking me what's my problem with Stock investors when I keep telling you I have no problem with people who invest in Stocks? Can you please elaborate on WHY you keep asking me this same question, when I keep answering it, and you then turn around and ask it again and again?
I'm not going to spend time hunting through hundreds of your posts to point out why but the overall perception you've given us is that you're on a stock market witch hunt. I still presume you're a much better person than you're seen as on this person.

IMHO, you should take your stock market is a gamble theory or agenda to an exclusive-options-only forum or a place like stocktwits where lots of the action are day traders or optioners or threads that much the above 2 descriptions on this forum too. Just don't troll every thread with the same basic premise that "stock market is a gamble" (just do a self-search of your posts with the words gamble ).

Nobody incl your good friend mathjak likes losing money or getting a return less than inflation. So, our goal like your's is low risk high return (relatively speaking) but again the magnitude/range of the 'low' risk varies between a hard-asset investor like you and us.

Quote:
In terms of the low interest rate period, yes, that's the Fed doing that and I believe the Fed did it to stimulate the Markets. Ben Bernake even mentioned that the reason they did it was to stimulate the Markets.
Every government in this world springs to help the markets because without these markets the world economy can't function and consequently day to day life.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:07 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Blast from the past.

Quote:
I agree, but I don't think Yellen is going to increase the Fed rates "fast" but they are going to increase them gradually. My prediction is that by 2018 the Rates would have risen to the point where Long Term CDs are back over 4%.

Remember, with the rates at the bottom of the floor right now, Long Term CDs are pulling 3% https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FixedIncomeHome

You always mention that you can't go based on short term analysis, but long term, which is at least 15 years. The analysis I'm looking at that I've posted, shows without the Fed dropping rate to the Floor, Long Term CD compounding rate of return has been just about the same as a Balanced Fund's compounding rate of return, so that begs the question why even do the Balanced Fund at all?
Wonder how ole Jo Tucker is doing. His interest rate prediction didn't pan out and I'm guessing he never did get into the market.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:19 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,021,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Blast from the past.

Wonder how ole Jo Tucker is doing. His interest rate prediction didn't pan out and I'm guessing he never did get into the market.
I'm dedicating this song with slight changes to his memory of being WRONG on everything he predicted on every thread he started:

Old Joe Tucker was a fine old man
He washed his face in a frying pan
He combed his hair with a wagon wheel
And died of a toothache in his heel
Get out the way old Joe Tucker
You’re too late to git your supper
Supper’s gone and dinner cookin’
Old Joe Tucker’s just a-standin’ there lookin’.

Old Joe Tucker’s a-comin’ to town
Riding a billy-goat and leading a hound
The hound dog barked and billy-goat jumped
Throwed Joe Tucker right straddlin’ a stump.

I come to town the other night
To hear a noise and see the fight
The watchman feet was a-running around
Crying “Old Joe Tucker’s come to Town.”

Old 01-07-2018, 11:57 AM

106,745 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Blast from the past.

he is long gone . his career as the great predictor sucked ...

he had me walk a resume in for a job to my old company before he vanished but he was not selected .

Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,221,262 times
I'll bet he took CNN Advice and sold everything when Trump was elected before the market crashed.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 PM

106,745 posts, read 108,937,910 times
he was never invested . he hated the markets . all he promoted was his 5 year cd's at pathetic rates .

Old 01-07-2018, 01:33 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
The funny thing was at the time of his rants the market was down and he took great glee in thinking he had scoreboard. Kinda wish he were still around, this would have been fun.

The best part is we all know we have made countless more money since 2015 then old Joe Told You So Tucker who avoided the big bad stock market like it was a slot machine..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing