Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 PM

13,678 posts, read 9,759,442 times

Advertisements

It’s a humbling tale. Those of us who persevered in the markets, have been rewarded; some more handsomely than others, but most with enough largesse to feel appreciated, if not outright vindicated. It won’t always be thus in our favor; reversals and even crashes are inevitable. We owe to “old Joe” an acknowledgement that success is fragile.

But an unremitting, carping negativity, does us even less good, than fulsome belief in our limitless success. If only in spite of himself, Joe taught us to be thankful for when we’re right, and hopeful for when we’re wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 02:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Overview: I'm currently continuing my "research" to determine if I should move monies out of my Long Term CDs and into the Stock/Bond Markets through Balanced Funds tied to US and International Indexes.
i like how he used the term "monies" instead of "money." it makes him sound like he knows what he is talking about.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:13 AM

106,960 posts, read 109,218,153 times
most of our resident doom and gloomers are gone . most got banned i think .they took every thread and somehow slipped in attacking the fed , rates , markets and every one else they didn't like . we still have 1 or 2 left . they too will eventually fade in to the failed armchair economist wanna be graveyard .

Old 01-08-2018, 05:54 AM

16,341 posts, read 10,469,160 times
I don't want posters who offer a different point of view to be gone. But Joe was another story. He was polite by his standards in this thread but we all remember how nasty and condescending (while being wrong) he was on this board. I just have to laugh at how much money he lost out on with his stubborn beliefs.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:43 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,097,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It’s a humbling tale. Those of us who persevered in the markets, have been rewarded; some more handsomely than others, but most with enough largesse to feel appreciated, if not outright vindicated. It won’t always be thus in our favor; reversals and even crashes are inevitable. We owe to “old Joe†an acknowledgement that success is fragile.

But an unremitting, carping negativity, does us even less good, than fulsome belief in our limitless success. If only in spite of himself, Joe taught us to be thankful for when we’re right, and hopeful for when we’re wrong.
Bada Bing!

Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 AM

10,377 posts, read 8,020,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I just have to laugh at how much money he lost out on with his stubborn beliefs.
I can't laugh at that. I honestly feel sorry for him - he had the worst case of Delusion of Control I've ever seen. And it's going to cost him dearly over the years.

(I do think it's ironic that what got him banned ultimately had nothing to do with this forum. He flamed out over a car discussion, of all things.)

Old 01-08-2018, 10:13 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,254,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
(I do think it's ironic that what got him banned ultimately had nothing to do with this forum. He flamed out over a car discussion, of all things.)
Well, six cylinder Camaro for crying out loud. Whaddaya expect?

Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM

26,197 posts, read 21,655,916 times
I’m sure he earned enough points here that the auto thread was just the final straw

Old 01-08-2018, 02:22 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,127,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most of our resident doom and gloomers are gone . most got banned i think .they took every thread and somehow slipped in attacking the fed , rates , markets and every one else they didn't like . we still have 1 or 2 left . they too will eventually fade in to the failed armchair economist wanna be graveyard .
I only wish that was true. Unfortunately there are a pack of the doom and gloomers who continue to post on the Economics forum. It is so bad the forum is all but useless because rational discussion is outdone many times over with the doom and gloom, conspiracies, and nonsense theories. One of the main posters has spent decades with virtually no income and getting by living in a camper in the middle of nowhere. I guess as long as these characters follow the forum rules they can post forever.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:38 PM

40,974 posts, read 49,295,196 times
Freemkt could use his own sticky thread to concentrate all his excuses and stop hijacking other topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing