Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 06:56 AM

2,751 posts, read 1,788,039 times

Advertisements

Congrats to the leaders - AMZN is fueling some big time gains.

I need a stellar report out of MMAC on 11/9 to keep pace, don't see that happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 06:40 PM

468 posts, read 427,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Congrats to the leaders - AMZN is fueling some big time gains.

I need a stellar report out of MMAC on 11/9 to keep pace, don't see that happening.
And The RanRedd's start the 4th QTR with a BANG! 2 more months and I can be named Supreme Overlord of CD Stock Market Game 2017!!!

Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,302,617 times
I'm up in the middle of the night - not because of stock market worries but apparently because of caffeine at dinnertime.

I'm chugging along at a 1.5 % return here which is, as they say.....is not good enough. That's way below what my real portfolios are doing - but then again, I've got half of the real stuff managed by the pros.

This game is teaching me another lesson about investing in anything gold related. I was hoping for some big time gains from NUGT, figuring on a very unnerving world situation to propel gold upward. It just hasn't happened. PHK has also been a huge disappointment.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:36 PM

So I noticed that ccm's picks were all big names, and doing well --- AMZN, FB, AAPL, etc.

Then I tried to find RanRedd's picks and couldn't find them. What were his picks again?

Old 10-31-2017, 04:42 AM

106,793 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't think you would have included NUGT today if it was down 15% yesterday and you were using yesterday's opening price. Why would you post your picks two days after your own stated deadline is just suspect. Why would you attempt to gain an advantage is something meaningless? I have no idea but you clearly backdated your picks. My playing or not is irrelevant to your actions
i was wondering that too, looking the years predictions today. i did not see his until days later . but in the end nugt was a loser regardless.

so was phk , cx did poorly , pfe lagged way behind spy , ko lagged spy .

in the end a simple s&p 500 fund blew away all those picks .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-31-2017 at 04:51 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i was wondering that too, looking the years predictions today. i did not see his until days later . but in the end nugt was a loser regardless.

so was phk , cx did poorly , pfe lagged way behind spy , ko lagged spy .

in the end a simple s&p 500 fund blew away all those picks .
Since Tom is running the game, I have no idea which day he is even using for the starting price. It's probably Jan 3rd market open. And as I said back in January - it wasn't going to matter.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 AM

those results alone should have you questioning your reasons for picking the stocks you do in other threads .

Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM

468 posts, read 427,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
Is it too late? If not, I'd like to participate with:

70k AMZN
10k GE
10k ABBV
10k ATVI

I'm definitely throwing darts and trying to keep my Fantasy Football fix going with stocks
I definitely learned a bit more with this game. The ATVI pick was a classic "invest in what you use/like/know". I've played a lot of their games for years and know their habits, consumer base, etc. Looks like it was a good pick - besides AMZN of course.

Don't know why I picked GE. Probably because they were a competitor at a company that I worked for and kicked our butts.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:33 AM

i made it a life long rule i never invest in anything pertaining to my field .

why ?

because being in a field we see things that look so great but the reality the rest of the world couldn't care less about .

i tried to get this message through to a friend of mine who did commercial phone installations .

he thought lucent technology was the greatest company because of their products . i mean they were the old bell labs . needless to say he put 400k in to them at 60 bucks a share only to have them practically fail at about .60 cents ..

Old 10-31-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i made it a life long rule i never invest in anything pertaining to my field .

why ?

because being in a field we see things that look so great but the reality the rest of the world couldn't care less about .

i tried to get this message through to a friend of mine who did commercial phone installations .

he thought lucent technology was the greatest company because of their products . i mean they were the old bell labs . needless to say he put 400k in to them at 60 bucks a share only to have them practically fail at about .60 cents ..

And that mistake is the # 1 rule of investing, trumping all other ones.

NEVER TIE UP YOUR MONEY IN YOUR EMPLOYER'S STOCK. If the company goes bad, you not only may lose your job, but your life savings as well.

Ask those fools who worked at Enron about that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing