Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 02:23 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
There are other options if u want to buy with bitcoin or Ethereum but with credit card coinbase might be your only option in US.

Cashing out of litecoin shouldn't be an issue. It's one of the top 5 coins usually.
Rgr. CoinBase isn't working for me as I have a Hawaii address. It wouldn't let me put in my NY address (which is my permanent address for government purposes) I'm trying to use Bittrex, but am having a hard time understanding how the site works. I think I'm going to learn how the site/purchase process works a little more before trying to make a purchase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 02:28 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Wait is it $600 per day or transaction or month ? Let me put it this way. I run a mining operation which nets me $50- $200 a day. As long as it is less than $600 a day should we report it on taxes?
The law hasn't passed yet but to my understanding as long as an individual purchase is under $600 it's excempt so hypotehtically you could spend $1800 in a day as long as not more than $600 is on a single purchase.

In regards to mining what's the least amount of money one would have to invest in a rig to make say $20 to $50 per day. I'm not looking to make a killing but would like to gain a better understanding and do it for more than break even. I'd probably look to mine something with GPU's, any advice or setup recommendation would be appreciated.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I want to buy some Litecoin, but does anyone know how easy it is to cash out??? That's the only thing holding me back now.

Also, CoinBase is currently down. Are there any other good sites to buy?
I havn't used it but I hear good things about Gemini. Litecoin is very easy to cash out although like you see today when things get really volatile exchanges get overloaded.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Rgr. CoinBase isn't working for me as I have a Hawaii address. It wouldn't let me put in my NY address (which is my permanent address for government purposes) I'm trying to use Bittrex, but am having a hard time understanding how the site works. I think I'm going to learn how the site/purchase process works a little more before trying to make a purchase
Hawaii from what I hear has some really stupid money transmission laws so many exchanges don't operate there. Bittrex is my fav altcoin exchange followed by HitBTC however you can't buy with Dollars you first need Bitcoin

Old 11-29-2017, 02:34 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Hawaii from what I hear has some really stupid money transmission laws so many exchanges don't operate there. Bittrex is my fav altcoin exchange followed by HitBTC however you can't buy with Dollars you first need Bitcoin
Ah, I see! Thanks. Still learning a lot about the process. Sigh, not as simple as I thought things would be.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:24 PM

3,215 posts, read 1,601,675 times
Quote:
Ok good to know. I guess if one has a mining contract without equipment then nothing can be deducted....
There must be some cost for the mining contract?

(half joking but you could add in a nice office chair, a desk, latest notebook, internet connection, all used to run your income producing business?)

Here’s an article from 2015 on crypto taxes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurash.../#9ecf3406bded

Old 11-29-2017, 09:39 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I havn't used it but I hear good things about Gemini. Litecoin is very easy to cash out although like you see today when things get really volatile exchanges get overloaded.
I am on Gemini for over 8 months or so. They don't have LTC thats why I didnt recommend it earlier. It has only BTC and ETH...

Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
There must be some cost for the mining contract?

(half joking but you could add in a nice office chair, a desk, latest notebook, internet connection, all used to run your income producing business?)

Here’s an article from 2015 on crypto taxes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurash.../#9ecf3406bded
yep I can pull in all sorts of business expenses on this one. I was just curious to know if mined BTC weren't converted into USD and instead held in a wallet then should there be tax on them since you haven't realized your gains yet....

Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 PM

10 posts, read 5,872 times
how that investment work out for you buddy lol

Old 11-30-2017, 03:48 AM

8 posts, read 6,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
No - it's not a good option, when the government is making rumblings about really taking a close look at bitcoin. Run to the exits and invest in real companies who are making real profits.
Geez.
But bitcoin broke another record recently. Why not? I don't quite understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing