Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you buy cryptocurrencies?
Speculation - hope to sell them to the next high bidder. 69 50.00%
It’s a true currency. 9 6.52%
It’s a store of value. 31 22.46%
I don’t know. 29 21.01%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 11:56 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,520,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvestorWithQuestions View Post
thanks guys! Interesting that the commissions are a % of the trade from several places not just from Coinbase

And don't know these companies - will they be there to make a withdrawl : ) can they get hacked?

Not worth the troubles!. Yeah, lots of stocks / stick with what I know.

Take care!
You shouldn't be leaving ~$31K on an exchange, IMO. If the exchange were to get hacked you could be left holding the bag like Mt. Gox customers. Have you looked into using a wallet to transfer your bitcoin? I'd recommend something by Ledger or Trezor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 11:57 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
You shouldn't be leaving ~$31K on an exchange, IMO. If the exchange were to get hacked you could be left holding the bag like Mt. Gox customers. Have you looked into using a wallet to transfer your bitcoin? I'd recommend something by Ledger or Trezor.
I second this.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:43 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,602,694 times
Coinbase at least has insurance against a hack or theft on their side for the crypto holdings.

https://www.coinbase.com/legal/insurance

If you get hacked and someone accesses your account that is not covered.

Your cash balances are also (somewhat?) covered by FDIC.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:29 AM

171 posts, read 170,074 times
Thanks for all the info and advice.

I think I am done with bitcoin for now. I hate spending more on commission than I think I should. a % of the sale seems wrong (coming from a stock trading / flat rate - now free commission model.

Yeah, payment for order flow vs. getting good execution muddys the water, but that $150 I got charged to sell $30K at the market seems too high.

And I've dealt with (or tried would be a better word) coinbase customer service. which was crap. can't in good faith pay for that!

Ken - insurance.... that's another issue for me. insurance companies don't want to pay out. There's so many ways they could get hacked / robbed. And I would bet that there's situations you would think would be protected from that you / they aren't.

Like business interuption insurance. Restaurant's businesses were interrupted because of Covid. People would think they were covered? Yes, some had specific exclusions for viruses. But even if it didn't, and policy lists fire, flood, etc.... 'well that isn't covered - you didn't close because of this, but because of that.

You weren't hacked because of this (covered method of attack), but because of that (uncovered method).

employee selling access vs. employee stealing passwords, etc.

And as a layperson, people don't know what they don't know?

Call me jaded : )

I DO hear about people that supposedly pay some trivial premium for 'cyber insurance'. and got ransomware or something else and insurance pays out.

I go looking for cyber insurance and the premiums come in much higher, don't include this or that.

And even if it covers ransomware, I still think they will say 'yeah, but you didn't do this or that.... ' the responsibility is for you to protect yourself somewhat. You think you did, but not good enough. and you don't find out till you need it?

Can't leave stove burners on all the time... then likely don't get paid if house burns down.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:38 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,520,415 times
There is another alternative. You can buy GBTC in your broker account. It's a bitcoin trust that trades on the OTC market. But there's a 2% expense ratio, and it often trades at a premium to the price of bitcoin. Although last week it was trading at a discount. It's a good way to get exposure to bitcoin in tax advantaged accounts as well. Eventually we may have ETFs for bitcoin in the U.S., there was one that recently began trading on the Canadian market.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:37 AM

605 posts, read 288,313 times
A $150 fee is nothing in the world of Bitcoin and crypto where your position can rise hundreds or thousands of dollars per day. If you are trading constantly, then yes the fees will kill you. If you are a buy and hold investor it shouldn't be a deterrent.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:31 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,881,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAdvice4U View Post
A $150 fee is nothing in the world of Bitcoin and crypto where your position can rise hundreds or thousands of dollars per day. If you are trading constantly, then yes the fees will kill you. If you are a buy and hold investor it shouldn't be a deterrent.
Yep. There are other trading platforms with no fees but are riskier. If you're a certified day trader it makes sense to use it though because you can claim unlimited losses.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:33 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,377 times
Default A new asset class for Millennials and younger

The digital age is ushering in a whole new asset class, between NFTs and the networks that power them, we will see some amazing technologies and services emerge.

Great interview with Beeple.

Beeple, who just sold an NFT for $69 million, talks about the other ways we can use the technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkutviCrpvA

Old 03-13-2021, 06:45 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,881,284 times
Buy the rails not the train company.

The rails are the Blockchain protocols upon which these NFTs will be hosted.

ETH
ADA
DOT
VET
MATIC

Et Cetera....

Old 03-13-2021, 08:09 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
No one seems to have the answer-what happens to crypto when the light goes out?
We in TX have no electricity for days,what if crypto is a medium of exchange,how do I shop for grocery ?or get a plumber to come and fix my broken water pipes?
Or take them out of an ATM and run from Kuwait to neighbor countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing