Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 06:29 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,257,140 times

Advertisements

Well thankfully it is not going down anymore, so luckily, at least for now, that thread is no longer necessary.

If we look at the bottom of that thread on the left, we can see the closed icon, as seen below in the photo I attached.

Which way is this market going in 2018?-capture.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 06:41 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Well thankfully it is not going down anymore, so luckily, at least for now, that thread is no longer necessary.

If we look at the bottom of that thread on the left, we can see the closed icon, as seen below in the photo I attached.

Attachment 195699
That thread should be reopened. "Anymore" - as of Friday - is the operative word. How long, realistically, do we expect that to last - a week, maybe?

That thread should not have been closed. The market has always had "down" days - just as it has always had "up" days. Volatility is what sparked that thread. Volatlity isn't going away - not this year.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:05 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,172,833 times
LOL...if you all think the volitility is over, you must be quite gullible

Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it was a very nice jump . more than a year of my wifes pay when she was working .
What purpose does this type of post serve? Self serving ...useless post/.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
It's called conversation and observation. I've got no problem with it. Either it's a nice increase or the wife had a mediocre paying job.

It is nice to see the account balance go up $10-20k (or more) in a day. It means someone has done well.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's called conversation and observation. I've got no problem with it. Either it's a nice increase or the wife had a mediocre paying job.

It is nice to see the account balance go up $10-20k (or more) in a day. It means someone has done well.
LOL...conversation and observation. We ALL know it went up..we saw it go up.

Last edited by jp03; 02-24-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-25-2018, 03:22 AM

106,758 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
what it means is as you accumulate more and more ,as i always point out , what scares people or keeps them up at night is not percentage changes but dollar changes .

when normal working class people see changes up or down that represent huge money factors in their lives that they can relate to , the effects are very different then the percentages indicate they may be .

if you are first starting out a 7% drop may represent very little to you in dollars or even 401k contributions . but today a 7% drop represents 9 years of maxing out my 401k at catch up . so while we love the up markets , when you have full fuel tanks down the road and see a years salary go up or down before your eyes it can have a whole different meaning

Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what it means is as you accumulate more and more ,as i always point out , what scares people or keeps them up at night is not percentage changes but dollar changes .

when normal working class people see changes up or down that represent huge money factors in their lives that they can relate to , the effects are very different then the percentages indicate they may be .

if you are first starting out a 7% drop may represent very little to you in dollars or even 401k contributions . but today a 7% drop represents 9 years of maxing out my 401k at catch up . so while we love the up markets , when you have full fuel tanks down the road and see a years salary go up or down before your eyes it can have a whole different meaning

Old 02-25-2018, 12:46 PM

13,662 posts, read 9,730,976 times
Default The Market is going straight sideways!

This thread is in response to a whimsical challenge in the "market is going straight up/down" threads, to find middle ground between Cassandra and Pollyanna. Perhaps instead we ought to invoke Pangloss? He would have said, that this is the best of all possible markets. That of course is quite different, from regarding it as an excellent market, or the ideal sort of market for which we could conceivably wish.

I propose to retain this thread as a sort of diary of market gyrations; uninteresting, perhaps - but tenacious. Where will the market be in 10 or 20 or 30 years, when some of us would have become "eternal members"? When Jeremy Siegel first wrote "Stocks for the Long Run", I was a young man, just then just recently started in investment. Nearly a quarter century later, Jeremy has been warning us about a correction. He was right! But his overarching advice holds... for the long run.

My only request for this thread: please, no cartoons from the Taft administration - or vague exhortations about Chinese bonds.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:50 PM

106,758 posts, read 108,973,015 times
i would say over 30 years we will be the same as all the other 117 rolling 30 year periods to date , right within the same 1-2% of each other as always . about 8-10% average
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing