Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 09:16 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,122,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Ok, when you said "put money in mostly conservative funds" I was thinking along the lines of, for example, 45% in broad equity index funds and the rest in bond funds and cash/equivalents; I already assumed only using index funds and mutual funds. But 80% equity allocation in index and MFs is not what *I* consider "conservative," so color me surprised.

This is why it's important to get on the same page in terms of semantics and dial-in on what you're actually saying. As an industry professional you're at the 3D chess table and some of us are playing checkers.

I agree 100%, for me a 45% broad equity index fund is on the fairly conservative side, I would worry that with 20 (maybe more years) life expectancy you would outlive your money. If we were working together I would for sure give you some calculations and figures to show how withdrawal rates & life expectancy would work under different scenarios. Now if you're working with a LARGE dollar amount ($5-15M minimum), sure 45 ~50% in broad market growth funds & needed cash in CD's are you're off.

Again, I would feel very bad if we undershot and you're having to be a Walmart greeter at 80 b/c the portfolio didn't grow enough to keep pace. But I would find a way to make the numbers work as best we could with your perspective on risk, not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:25 PM

18,567 posts, read 16,001,872 times
Do you agree with the inverse equity glide path touted by Kitces and Plau?

They suggest starting retirement with a conservative equity allocation (generally around 40 to 45%, but no less than 35% equities in year 1 and ramping up, adding a % or 2 each year until the maximum desired equity allocation is achieved in about 10 to 15 years. This is done to minimize the effect of poor or negative returns early in retirement, while still allowing the portfolio to grow more aggressively when the early risk years have passed.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Do you agree with the inverse equity glide path touted by Kitces and Plau?

They suggest starting retirement with a conservative equity allocation (generally around 40 to 45%, but no less than 35% equities in year 1 and ramping up, adding a % or 2 each year until the maximum desired equity allocation is achieved in about 10 to 15 years. This is done to minimize the effect of poor or negative returns early in retirement, while still allowing the portfolio to grow more aggressively when the early risk years have passed.
For certain investors and circumstances it can be a beneficial tool. I like a lot of Kitces stuff, there is some that I just don't think every investor will fit into. But it can for sure under certain circumstances be very beneficial, such as in new estates, inheritances that are obtained just before or just into retirement. However I am of the mind-set that a well allocated and risk managed portfolio that has been able to be planned 10+ years before retirement will take care of most of that.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,811,163 times
Is options trading meant to be confusing AF? I've been reading and studying them for a month and I'm starting to get it in theory and it makes sense when I watch the videos but I still have no idea how to place my first paper trade. Am I watching/reading the wrong things or is it normal to take a while before theory and application clicks into place? Not saying the stock market or Forex is easier by any means, but it sure felt like placing the trade part was at least straightforward.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:05 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,378,627 times
OP, is this a good market to sell Puts or do you prefer a more stable market for this?

Old 02-08-2018, 06:50 PM

I wouldn't sell puts here, they won't get you enough premium to really go anywhere b/c of the volatility. Think of it this way. If you're gaining premium for selling the put, you're being "pre-paid" upfront and are likely going to only go as high as your strike. You'll need to calculate your break-even so you can go at the right strike price.

*MOST* will not have enough premium to make it worth it. But with that said, if you can find something out there that you're getting 15-20% on, on top of the premium then absolutely. But good luck with that valuation.

This type of market is best to have had long puts, and put the underlying to people. I had the AMZN June 1440 strike puts, paid 98, sold to close at 150. Had the DIA 255 puts. Actually put those to someone Tuesday, paid 9, sold to close at 14.50, both were 100 contracts.

Best way to look at it is, check the spread between Bid/Ask. if it's more than 2% out, you're not going to make money on it. The market maker will book it himself, and turn around and sell it in the market.

But GREAT question.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I wouldn't sell puts here, they won't get you enough premium to really go anywhere b/c of the volatility. Think of it this way. If you're gaining premium for selling the put, you're being "pre-paid" upfront and are likely going to only go as high as your strike. You'll need to calculate your break-even so you can go at the right strike price.

*MOST* will not have enough premium to make it worth it. But with that said, if you can find something out there that you're getting 15-20% on, on top of the premium then absolutely. But good luck with that valuation.

This type of market is best to have had long puts, and put the underlying to people. I had the AMZN June 1440 strike puts, paid 98, sold to close at 150. Had the DIA 255 puts. Actually put those to someone Tuesday, paid 9, sold to close at 14.50, both were 100 contracts.

Best way to look at it is, check the spread between Bid/Ask. if it's more than 2% out, you're not going to make money on it. The market maker will book it himself, and turn around and sell it in the market.

But GREAT question.
So help me understand this, because there's a part of selling Puts I don't think I am understanding.

If you had sold a Put for Amazon June 1440, you are currently in the money (1351). How did you sell to close and make a profit on that? Isn't it the other way around where Amazon would have to be trading above your strike price in order to close for profit?

Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
So help me understand this, because there's a part of selling Puts I don't think I am understanding.

If you had sold a Put for Amazon June 1440, you are currently in the money (1351). How did you sell to close and make a profit on that? Isn't it the other way around where Amazon would have to be trading above your strike price in order to close for profit?
I was LONG puts, not short (selling).

Old 02-09-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I was LONG puts, not short (selling).
My night comprehension from taking care of a newborn seems lacking.

Got it.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
My night comprehension from taking care of a newborn seems lacking.

Got it.
No worries. A newborn will for sure take it out of you! Congrats on that by the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing