Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 11:55 AM

806 posts, read 605,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Can you guys stop with the "unchartered territory" rhetoric? ha ...Its like another new media buzz word

so the market reacts to tweets? who cares? --does that really have a significant effect on anything long term that is really relevant?
It is unchartered territory. How do you know what is going to happen long term? I bet right now a majority of investors are in a world of pain. Good thing it doesn't matter to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,214,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
It is unchartered territory. How do you know what is going to happen long term? I bet right now a majority of investors are in a world of pain. Good thing it doesn't matter to you.

A world of pain??
The S and P is down about 7% from its all time high

Honestly , if anyone reading this is feeling a "world of pain" with a volatile market then no you shouldn't be in stocks.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:20 PM

106,734 posts, read 108,937,910 times
I got to agree with ya free , some of this stuff spewed has no merit at all ...if down 7% from a record high is a world of pain those who think that should go hide under a rock in a bank..

My opinion is this is a great time to be invested ....if the trade war is unexpectedly resolved stocks will soar ...if it isn’t and we slow odds are the fed will cut rates and stocks will soar ... either way there is a pretty good chance either way will unexpectedly be up before those out and thinking they will avoid a disaster can even react

Old 06-03-2019, 12:25 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,312,699 times
Quote:
You're right. People use historical patterns to try to predict the future. In the past, if your time horizon was long enough, it has worked, but there are no guarantees that it will hold true in the future, especially if you're time horizon is not long enough. Let's see how optimistic some on this forum are when the market does eventually drop 50-60% or more.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
A world of pain??
The S and P is down about 7% from its all time high

Honestly , if anyone reading this is feeling a "world of pain" with a volatile market then no you shouldn't be in stocks.

Keep those blinders on bud. The average stock is down more than 7%. I doubt anyone here is just in the SPY. I can't predict the future with certainty and neither can you. Fact.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You're right. People use historical patterns to try to predict the future. In the past, if your time horizon was long enough, it has worked, but there are no guarantees that it will hold true in the future, especially if you're time horizon is not long enough. Let's see how optimistic some on this forum are when the market does eventually drop 50-60% or more.
Let’s see how wrong once again those are who persist in constantly thinking this time is different and it doesn’t take a big drop ,or even if it does those who thought other wise miss the subsequent rise back and leave themselves behind once again where they should have been .... there is no reason to try to time things with 40-60% equities.. if they feel they have to time things then that person should avoid equities.... there will never be a right time for them

Old 06-03-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
People are mixing their political opinions with finance here. Not surprised.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Let’s see how wrong once again those are who persist in constantly thinking this time is different and it doesn’t take a big drop ,or even if it does those who thought other wise miss the subsequent rise back and leave themselves behind once again where they should have been .... there is no reason to try to time things with 40-60% equities.. if your eel you have to then that person should avoid equities
Just a guess, but I think we'll see a large drop before another large leg up. Who knows, maybe the longest bull market in history has another 10 years to run, but I seriously doubt it.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Keep those blinders on bud. The average stock is down more than 7%. I doubt anyone here is just in the SPY. I can't predict the future with certainty and neither can you. Fact.
Well then we have the two camps here ..the chicken littles and those who believe this time is not different once again ....time will tell who is right,,no point arguing it..

The cycles are and always have been part of investing ..the only things that change are the events that kick off the downward leg ...but at the end of the day those who just tolerated the volatility in diversified funds have always done well... 50/50 has never lost money in any 10 or 20 year period ,ever

Old 06-03-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
People are mixing their political opinions with finance here. Not surprised.
It's about risk/return. This market 's risk outweighs its potential return. If you're a long-term investor, you'll likely be ok, but if not, I'd be very careful, even in a 50-50 or 40-60 portfolio. Even with a diversified portfolio, it will take a while to recover from a 50% or greater equity hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing