Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather own?
One share of AMZN & about $50 6 31.58%
Two shares each of MSFT and WMT, and one share each of GOOGL and AAPL 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:38 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times

Advertisements

See post 6 in this thread for the inspiration of this poll question:

//www.city-data.com/forum/colum...l#post51927018

This is a public poll, so we can look back in future months and years for the consequences of our "value vs. growth" investment choice.

This poll only is open for 30 days, as price comparisons likely will change in coming days.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-18-2018 at 02:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 03:50 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Easiest vote I ever cast. Option 2 where you get ownership in 4 good companies.

Putting all of your eggs in one basket is too risky. In a worst case scenario, Amazon could be broken up by the government, like AT&T was back in the day.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:29 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
I think three will be increasing in value. Not sure where Walmart will go. The answer is diversification.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:03 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
With 1600 in play I’d go with the single name

Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Id go with AMZN

Old 05-19-2018, 09:03 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
These are all megacap stocks... there are places to invest money that will provide much better returns. For AMZN to justify it's current stock price in a few years when it's revenue growth starts to slow, it will have to make something like $20/share per quarter.. right now they make under $4.

I'd be careful about following the herd into AMZN. WMT is a better choice because they are going to make big gains in the online space which will help their revenues.. they also have a very efficient supply chain.

I would pick option 2... though in reality it's neither for me. I look for small companies that have the potential to grow into big ones... to do this you have to invest in companies that seem to be "not a good value" meaning they don't have PE ratios of 20.. in fact most of them are unprofitable at the time I invest in them. The idea is they grow their revenues and when they get bigger, find ways to cut costs so they start to earn money. (which is exactly what AMZN did and is doing)

At best AMZN could double.. it's not going to be a 10 bagger because it's already a massive market cap. It's going to transition from a growth stock into a blue chip stock over the next 5 years, in my opinion. They will also start getting more hate because they are 'big' just like Walmart used to get and still does. They are going to come up with ways to try to make more money to boost their EPS, which will allow competition to come in and take away some of their market share. They ran for a long time losing money so they could grow and attract people with their low prices... that will gradually change and is changing...

I'm not going to give a specific recommendation here... the average person should invest in a broad based index fund and not speculate on individual stocks unless they have enough stock market experience to know how to read a balance sheet and earnings statement.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-19-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
These are all megacap stocks... there are places to invest money that will provide much better returns. For AMZN to justify it's current stock price in a few years when it's revenue growth starts to slow, it will have to make something like $20/share per quarter.. right now they make under $4.

I'd be careful about following the herd into AMZN. WMT is a better choice because they are going to make big gains in the online space which will help their revenues.. they also have a very efficient supply chain.

I would pick option 2... though in reality it's neither for me. I look for small companies that have the potential to grow into big ones... to do this you have to invest in companies that seem to be "not a good value" meaning they don't have PE ratios of 20.. in fact most of them are unprofitable at the time I invest in them. The idea is they grow their revenues and when they get bigger, find ways to cut costs so they start to earn money.

At best AMZN could double.. it's not going to be a 10 bagger because it's already a massive market cap. It's going to transition from a growth stock into a blue chip stock over the next 5 years, in my opinion. They will also start getting more hate because they are 'big' just like Walmart used to get and still does. They are going to come up with ways to try to make more money to boost their EPS, which will allow competition to come in and take away some of their market share. They ran for a long time losing money so they could grow and attract people with their low prices... that will gradually change...

Walmart has greatly underperformed the s&p over 1, 3 , 5, 10 and 15 year periods per Morningstar and is down nearly 20% in the last 3 months. Maybe that puts them in a spot to outperform but if you have been holding for years you’d need one hell of a run to pull even with the vanilla s&p. Walmart faces the same eps growth problem that amazon does even if the don’t trade anywhere near the multiple because it is kind of a big company too

Old 05-19-2018, 09:18 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Walmart has greatly underperformed the s&p over 1, 3 , 5, 10 and 15 year periods per Morningstar and is down nearly 20% in the last 3 months. Maybe that puts them in a spot to outperform but if you have been holding for years you’d need one hell of a run to pull even with the vanilla s&p. Walmart faces the same eps growth problem that amazon does even if the don’t trade anywhere near the multiple because it is kind of a big company too
Given the two options choice 2 is probably better.. MSFT is growing again after a decade of relying in windows and office for their revenues and lagging behind in innovation. WMT has a market cap that is 1/3 of Amazon, and Apple is swimming in cash and so is Google. Unless someone comes around to give youtube competition, you have google, apple, and microsoft basically having a 99% market share in the operating system market with android and IOS being mature platforms along with windows for the desktop. The unknown variable is with all the cash Google and Apple have, who might they acquire? How much can they expand into emerging markets? WMT did buy flipcart to try to expand into India.. a good move or not? Time will tell. I personally think they overpaid but they have the right idea by trying to capture online market share and expand/grow.

WMT did underperform, but they are showing signs as a company that they want to try to adapt to the increase in online sales.. if they make some acquisitions and position themselves correctly and can get people buying from their websites instead of amazon, they can take considerable market share from Amazon and break that streak of lackluster performance. People underestimate how great their supply chain is and how that could work in their favor to get things people want to them quickly and cheap.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-19-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 AM

Cool story when people talk about 10 baggers it’s kind of easy just to skip past it as it’s pretty uncommon or accompanied by larger losses. A good old internet love story

Old 05-19-2018, 09:58 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,097,596 times
Quote:
I really stopped reading right there...WMT had a great & efficient supply chain, and really only continues to deliver on pricing efficiencies due to their size.

I also think AMZN will continue to grow, is it going to double in the next 5 years? Probably not, but I also didn't think i would be 4.5x more than it was in 2015, just 3 years ago. As AMZN continues to develop more presence, distribution, and even more market share they will continue to outperform WMT, and others IMO. I'll stick with my AMZN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing