Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 08:53 PM

2,676 posts, read 2,629,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The OP hasn't been back to this thread and probably doesn't bother reading it. It's so off-topic and has been for quite awhile.
At some point in the future, it's very likely the market will be below its level when the OP started this thread. S/he will probably come back at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 09:57 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
At some point in the future, it's very likely the market will be below its level when the OP started this thread. S/he will probably come back at that time.

LOL, exactly

Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,397 times
Interesting thread.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:17 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Or from out of nowhere the claim that they had actually gotten back in. That was a jimhcom specialty, he was always screaming to get out of the markets because of *insert reason for impending economic calamity here* yet after every rally he had mysteriously gotten back in and timed it perfectly.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:18 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Was down in McAllen, TX, at the hotel were several wives of manufacturing owners who were moving their plants to Mexico from China.
Sheesh dude several? You party harder than I do.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Or from out of nowhere the claim that they had actually gotten back in. That was a jimhcom specialty, he was always screaming to get out of the markets because of *insert reason for impending economic calamity here* yet after every rally he had mysteriously gotten back in and timed it perfectly.

LOL, yes again! We see that a lot here... a big doom and gloom post, saying they got out... a couple years later the market is up 50% and they say "oh I got back in and made $$$$" mmmmmhmmmm

Old 08-03-2019, 06:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It’s full of crock that’s why.
you arent fooling anyone. its obvious that you dont feel you are capable of explaining how china's technology theft is hurting america or how putting tariffs on chinese imports will help.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you arent fooling anyone. its obvious that you dont feel you are capable of explaining how china's technology theft is hurting america or how putting tariffs on chinese imports will help.

Google search my friend and then you can decide for yourself after reading opposing articles

Old 08-03-2019, 09:21 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

During the 90s and first decade of '00s I didn't bother looking at my 401Ks or IRAs, didn't open most of the statements (thank goodness for paperless now), and didn't follow the markets. I started to get interested about 6 years ago and I consolidated accounts and paid more attention than I had before. In 2008 I didn't follow anything with the market. I remember being vaguely concerned if one of my savings organizations might fail and the only action I took was to open an account elsewhere to shift some funds and spread 'the risk', but other than that, I didn't look at any investments, & contributions to 401K and IRAs kept chugging along as usual.
I wish I had done that. If I had, I conservatively estimate I'd have an extra 100k today.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
But beyond such crude and retrograde schema, there's a psychological reality. What if we're unhappy within marriage, or outside of it? Unhappy investing in stocks, unhappy eschewing stocks.... unhappy living in the city, unhappy in the suburbs or country? If I change what I'm doing, but remain unhappy, maybe it's better to save the effort and the dislocation of change, and to persevere in tolerance of present unhappiness?
Well that's just it. Often it's not the spouse, the city we live in, etc. We are often our own worst enemies in many aspects of life. That is the essence of what a lot of religions teach. Very relevant and not so retrograde IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing