Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times

Advertisements

AAPL all the way, baby!!! I kick myself for not doubling up when it was $10/share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 12:05 PM

323 posts, read 2,089,922 times
Aside from some well diversified 401k strategies....

I like Real Estate, obviously long term.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:57 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Are we in a commodities and energy stock bubble? Any comment? My energy stock really went up (one of them jumped three fold recently). I didn’t choose them. My adviser told me I should allocate some money into that sector.

I remember during the housing bubble, everyone told me there was a limited amount of land plus the nice weather in South Florida. House price will go up and up since there will be always a demand. Now crashed, everyone says it is because of overbuilt.

Now everyone blames China for commodities and energy price. There is a short supply and get ready for a higher price. On the other hand, I also read somewhere there is no short supply. I don’t understand. Is it caused by all those super rich investors who influence the markets since there is no where to play their money now? Or it is really a supply and demand issue?

Personally, I wish it is just a bubble. Hopefully, it will burst soon. Any thought?
From a macroeconomic standpoint, increasing global demand for energy isn't going anywhere but up from here. Yes, it commodities are quite volatile (look at where oil is today vs. last week) and the recent price drop has hurt the energy stocks I'm invested in, but I continue to ride it the ups and downs and bring in a good return on my investment. The dollar still has a long way to recover before I get back into other market sectors. Until this country regains some fiscal discipline (government and consumers), I know my money is better served in hard assets, commodities, and energy.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:43 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,944 times
This just in. I'm up over 20% YTD. FSNGX is kicking tail. Everyone here should have a strong position in oil/natural gas stocks. This is looking like a good year.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
This just in. I'm up over 20% YTD. FSNGX is kicking tail. Everyone here should have a strong position in oil/natural gas stocks. This is looking like a good year.
I'm up 20% in the last three days, 75% YTD. Uranium mining stocks have hit bottom and are starting to rebound. I'm looking to have a very good year on these investments.
!00-200% or more is not out of reach if you are in the right stocks early.
Check them out but choose carefully.

Silverfox

Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,937,412 times
I am following some of what Jim Rogers preaches. I am (slowly) getting out of the dollar. Looking much more in China and India. Learning about commodities.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:28 AM

532 posts, read 1,232,188 times
Late 90s
"This is the new economy, internet stocks are the way of the future

Early 2000s
"Real estate always goes up"

Late 2000s
"increasing global demand for energy isn't going anywhere but up from here"

Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Just saving up for a condo when I move out in 2011. I have 4k in a 2050 retirement fund which isn't doing good but I don't really care because I'll be selling those funds in 40 years or so.
How old are you? sounds like you are doing great!!!

My DH and I just make sure we are completely debt free. try to keep all the cash we can in the account making 6% and then forget about the money we have in our diversified funds. may not be in the best places but havent lost any money yet.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:21 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
I'm up 20% in the last three days, 75% YTD. Uranium mining stocks have hit bottom and are starting to rebound. I'm looking to have a very good year on these investments.
!00-200% or more is not out of reach if you are in the right stocks early.
Check them out but choose carefully.

Silverfox
Just an update.....Up another 7.29% today so far. Thats 27.29% in 4 days.
And this is while the Dow is down 200+ points today !!!
Got to be in the right sectors if you want to beat the crowd.

Silverfox

Old 05-20-2008, 02:14 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Just an update.....Up another 7.29% today so far. Thats 27.29% in 4 days.
And this is while the Dow is down 200+ points today !!!
Got to be in the right sectors if you want to beat the crowd.

Silverfox
That's awesome!

I wonder how many of the junior mining companies are going to do now that gold's value is unable to be suppressed much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing