Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:16 AM

621 posts, read 3,208,165 times

Advertisements

Hi All-I've recently inherited a large sum of money and would like to invest some of it. Can anyone give me some advice as to what a smart, low risk investment would be? I'm not sure if I should do a money market, IRA, CD or something completely different. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Safest thing to do is short term CD or bank Money Market while you learn and understand the other investments.

Depending on the amount..make sure you stay within the FDIC limits for the bank ($100,000). If you have more than that spread out your money to different banks.
Having 2 accounts at the bank won't help you as the FDIC is by owner, not account.

Once you understand investments better (risk factor here) then move your money and invest.

Fidelity is one of the big brokerage firms that deal with securities, mutual funds, bonds, etc and has some good educational material to look over.

https://www.fidelity.com/

MSN Money is another good place with articles:
Personal Finance and Investing - MSN Money

Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,800,538 times
I have a wonderful investment opportunity available....you can think of it as a 'bridge' to your financial independence.

Please send letter of interest with proof of funds to:

Brooklyn Investment Corp.
Attn: Sterlinggirl

Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,965,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I have a wonderful investment opportunity available....you can think of it as a 'bridge' to your financial independence.

LOL! Too funny.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,177,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post

Oh my!
Why bother? I need couple of loans to be paid off

At this time i would suggest a CD to be your best bet. At least it guarantees you a fixed interest rate. Talk to financial people that you trust, not just anyone, then move your money. Econonmy isn't the best right now, so don't rush!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:59 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,881,898 times
If I were you... I put 5k in a Roth IRA every year, another 10k in mutual fund, and nothing in CDs (I guess I am the only one here). Make monthly deposits into your mutual fund to maximize your yield and max out your IRA every year. Leave the rest in a high-yield interest savings account (comparable yield to some of the best CD rates). Or you can invest in stocks but that is risky and not recommended unless you know what you are doing (and few are). You could also purchase houses for cheap and re-sell it later but now is not the time...

Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,761,614 times
I would hire a professional financial advisor asap. Not one that is trying to sell you his annuities or other goods. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,473,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Hi All-I've recently inherited a large sum of money and would like to invest some of it. Can anyone give me some advice as to what a smart, low risk investment would be? I'm not sure if I should do a money market, IRA, CD or something completely different. Thanks for any advice!
IRA, CD? That's BORING... get a fancy car!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:36 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
Put $5 in and envelope and ...
My name is Simone Mungabi from Nigeria and I...
STAY AWAY FROM SCAMS AND GET RICH QUICK SCHEMES.

Rule #1 Diversify.
Rule #2 Diversify.
Rule #3 - see rules 1 & 2

The greatest temptation is to treat a sum of money as a single entity. Someone comes up with a great idea or investment and you invest everything, and it plops dead. It may be a pain in the tuckus, and difficult to manage, but have at least three totally unconnected types of investments, and only invest in those after you have a basic understand of the risks/rewards and opinions from people totally outside of the arena. You won't get rich quick, but you won't get poor quick either.

If you invest in stocks, you can be better off looking outside of normal channels for tips on investments. IE; food prices are going up. If they continue OR if the price of gas comes down, companies like Conagra stand to make money. This is old advice by now and the market has anticipated it, but that illustrates the concept.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:22 PM

621 posts, read 3,208,165 times
Thanks everyone for your advice!

I plan on contacting a financial advisor, but I just wanted to see other people's opinions. I already have the money in a high interest savings account, so I'm good there, I just want to put some somewhere I can't touch it. I know nothing about the stock market, so I definitely don't feel comfortable doing that. I already bought a house, so I have some instant equity with that. I really just want to put it away and have it earn interest, but not "get rich quick". Thanks again for the advice, I will be contacting the FA soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing