Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 06:36 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Yes, I’m freaking out over the impending global financial collapse.
There will be be huge losses in jobs, scarcity in basic necessities, widespread death and hunger, and utter chaos.

It’s unrelated to the virus, which is the least of our worries.
I think it taps into that whole existential threat thing. Might I suggest a diversion?

I-I_I-am hooked on a feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah_ryXMGHK0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 06:52 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
having visions of 2008... the carnage and suffering '08 caused by all the unemployment was just plain awful to watch. I really hope it does not get that bad.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:00 PM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Americans are not used to losing their freedoms. We take so much for granted. We go about our lives without giving it much thought. Now all of a sudden there is chaos. We can’t leave our homes. Schools, churches, movie theaters and restaurants are closed. People can’t go to work and there is nothing but unknown.
Don’t focus so much on your money, focus on humanity. Help someone in your community who is elderly and alone. Our well being is more valuable than our stock portfolio.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:12 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Most of my money ( trust fund) is tied to hospital and medical supply companies in America and Europe. My own personal portfolio has suffered a bit, but nothing to freak out over. The trust and businesses that are tied to it are way in the black.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:12 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,128 times
I was freaking out after the first 10%. Now the drop is so steep I'm sort of numb to it. Thursday mid day I bought a few solid blue chips and made 12% back in one day. I know the market is super volatile but now I'm just investing every free cent I have back into the market.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:15 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Eh it happens.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:24 PM

622 posts, read 409,916 times
It was a lot more fun when the market was going up!

Old 03-15-2020, 07:28 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
I am extremely worried as I am 67 and DH will be 68 in October. Our entire retirement is SS and our IRAs (both regular and Roth). We never had any pensions. The last big crash left us breathless, but at least we had time to recover. This time not so much before we have to start withdrawing. As it is we were taking a small quarterly amount out of a smaller 401K, but have now cancelled the Apr payment and maybe the next one as well. We only had 2 more payments from it before it was done. So now we are back to living off SS and the very little amount that DH still works part time (less than a week/month). We do have a decent checking account and savings account so hoping it ties us over.

Luckily we didn't have any huge plans for anything and we live quietly so we can save money, but it was nice to be able to go out to eat when we wanted or buying things for the new grandbaby when we wanted. We will have to cut back. We do have a car payment, but at least no mortgage.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:32 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
I'm honestly not freaked out in the least.

"Knock knock..."

"Who's there?"

"Opportunity, and I only call on you once in a while."

Old 03-15-2020, 07:42 PM

545 posts, read 192,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I am extremely worried as I am 67 and DH will be 68 in October. Our entire retirement is SS and our IRAs (both regular and Roth). We never had any pensions. The last big crash left us breathless, but at least we had time to recover. This time not so much before we have to start withdrawing. As it is we were taking a small quarterly amount out of a smaller 401K, but have now cancelled the Apr payment and maybe the next one as well. We only had 2 more payments from it before it was done. So now we are back to living off SS and the very little amount that DH still works part time (less than a week/month). We do have a decent checking account and savings account so hoping it ties us over.

Luckily we didn't have any huge plans for anything and we live quietly so we can save money, but it was nice to be able to go out to eat when we wanted or buying things for the new grandbaby when we wanted. We will have to cut back. We do have a car payment, but at least no mortgage.
This is why I don't agree with the stances of Bengen and The Trinity Study which expanded upon Bengen's theory in relation to safe withdrawal rates. The problem is that the studies require that you stay in the stock market heavily during retirement (at least 50% or more) in order to try to pick up some more "growth".

The problem is that you could be entering into a long Bear Market right when you are starting retirement or right in the middle of it. Crashing your stock values and making it difficult to cover expenses (potentially).

Now, if you have a significant amount of principal balance to where the amount in safer investments like bonds or fixed income can more than cover your personal expenses, then okay....you could leave the remaining portion in stocks as you still don't need those monies for a long period of time and additional growth can be acquired over time (10 to 20 years).

But if you don't have that type of situation, you should not be heavily in stocks, no matter what Bengen says. You need to go mainly all bonds and fixed income, then CUT your retirement expenses to a minimalist lifestyle. Otherwise, you are taking on a significant amount of risk to try to chase some additional growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing