Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 08:24 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitious994 View Post
It's why this entire thing is making me think the proper investing approach is buy, hold, and watch.

- I don't think it's consistently jumping in and out of the markets everytime a bad news cycle comes or a mild recession period.

- And I don't think it's just slapping your money in the market and forgetting about it for 20 years
{...snip}
So if I'm right, I just avoided more losses and my recovery will be quicker!

But worse case, if I'm wrong, then I'll miss some "gains", but I'll be right back in the market for another 25 year time horizon anyway so I'll still get my recovery back and more growth! Either way I'm winning, so I don't know why The Bogleheads are so ticked off at me right now.
People are ticked off when someone/something starts questioning and demonstrating that the status quo can be alternatives.
Bogle was mocked in the 70's.
I was ridiculed and attacked for advocating GLWB annuities for those approaching or in retirement without benefit of a pension. I am attacked on CD for the same issues. Wear the badge of courage proudly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 08:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timingiseverything View Post
You don’t think we are going to have social unrest when people can’t access their money with a deathly virus overcrowding hospitals? Wake up.

Not as much as seeing their money evaporate daily. I think the majority will be relieved that they could quit worrying about that for a few months.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Those with money invested are likely to be the most sensible and controllable considering they want the bleeding to stop.

Did 2008 kill the investors? Nah. It just made them sad.

Did the 9/11 market freeze kill investors? Nah. It just kept them from having knee-jerk reactions and losing half their investment.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Freeze, don’t freeze, — we are on the Titanic.

Hold on.

Since it's your analogy, a freeze would be delaying the sinking several hours until the Cartagenia was on the scene with rescue support.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Too bad our Cartagenia (the vaccine) couldn’t get here that quickly.

It might.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:11 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Too bad our Cartagenia (the vaccine) couldn’t get here that quickly.
Carpathia.

In the meantime, we do have lifeboats (drugs and convalescent plasma) being evaluated in clinical trials to bridge the gap to the vaccine. Regeneron is working on antibody therapy, which functions like a very short-term (1 month) vaccine, which should be ready in late summer.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Carpathia.

In the meantime, we do have lifeboats (drugs and convalescent plasma) being evaluated in clinical trials to bridge the gap to the vaccine. Regeneron is working on antibody therapy, which functions like a very short-term (1 month) vaccine, which should be ready in late summer.

Corrrection welcomed.

A vaccine could be ready by mid-summer. Not saying it WILL but that it COULD. Don't buy the 12-18 month rubbish they are telling you.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:22 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
“Signal for the bottom is when people are so demoralized that they can no longer bring themselves to visit these forums, and most of the final posts from departing members are bitter, profane, and angry diatribes cursing "Bogleheads" for encouraging us to "Stay the Course". We are getting there, at least anger wise.”

This where we are.

Freeze, don’t freeze, — we are on the Titanic.

Hold on.
Titanic? ..... No, I don't think so. She went down and stayed down.
Every investor knows he has options and riding the thing down and back up is only one option. And it's probably a fairly good option.
You could go to cash.
You could short the market and make money as it falls.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:27 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
A vaccine could be ready by mid-summer. Not saying it WILL but that it COULD. Don't buy the 12-18 month rubbish they are telling you.
I think you're right.
There is billions of dollars to be made, and the fact that so much research has already been done on other viruses works in our favor. There are smart, experienced people working in well equipped laboratories all over the world. They arrive at a solution. I don't hear the cavalry bugle yet, but it'll come.

When the proper degree of safety is ascertained, they'll ship it out.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:27 PM

545 posts, read 192,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Corrrection welcomed.

There's no vaccine coming this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing