Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 06:47 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
You don't know what you're talking about.

I'm apparently the only one that knows what I am talking about and can prove it. Wouldn't you say that the fact that something HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE is inherently proof that it CAN BE DONE?

The H1N1 vaccine began clinical testing in July 2009, got approval in September 2009, and was being administered in October 2009. That's 3 months. Not 14 months.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-timeline.html

April 15
First human infection with new influenza A H1N1 virus detected in California.

April 21
CDC began working to develop a candidate vaccine virus.

July 22
Clinical trials testing the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine began.

September 15
The FDA announced its approval of four 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccines.

September 30
U.S. states placed first orders of 2009 H1N1 vaccine.

October 5
First doses of H1N1 vaccine were given in the U.S.

November 16
FDA announced its approval of a fifth 2009 H1N1 vaccine.

Late December
2009 H1N1 vaccination had been opened up to anyone who wanted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
I also heard that once a vaccine is found to work it could take over a year to mass produce. The expert I heard, said you're looking at 2 to 2 1/2 yrs from now.

More nonsense. See timeline above. H1N1 vaccine receive approval in September 2009, was being administered the next month and widely available in 3 months. 165 million people got the vaccine. They can do it if they want to do it badly enough.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Other Countries are working hard on a vaccine. I cannot imagine they have as stringent of regulations and processes to validate a drug for use.

The U.S may jump on board asking for the cure/vaccine from another Country if they've already been prescribing it to the public with positive results. In that case, they may not heed the regulation timeframes.

See H1N1 timeline above. We can and have waived those regulations and timeframes when necessary.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:52 AM

35 posts, read 23,009 times
I have about 25 years till I can get my govt pension. I will ride it down to zero as well. If we’re going that low, I’m going to have much bigger problems than worrying about money. It will be survival of the fittest at that point.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:52 AM

Btw, clinical testing has already begun and subjects have already been given a vaccine candidate.

A Phase 1 clinical trial evaluating an investigational vaccine designed to protect against coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has begun at Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute (KPWHRI) in Seattle. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health, is funding the trial. KPWHRI is part of NIAID’s Infectious Diseases Clinical Research Consortium. The open-label trial will enroll 45 healthy adult volunteers ages 18 to 55 years over approximately 6 weeks. The first participant received the investigational vaccine today.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...ovid-19-begins

Old 03-23-2020, 07:03 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
You don't know what you're talking about.

There are people in my neighborhood that work at the facility that is doing one of the vaccine trials. It's been all over the news.

A survey was posted in our community facebook group looking for trial volunteers. I looked at the survey.

The first thing it asks is if you're willing to drive to the facility (which is about 25 miles from here) for 11 visits over a 14 month period.

Okay, you got that? .. 14 months. Not 6 months, not even 12 months... 14 months to complete the trial.

Here is something else to consider:

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/06/81294...es-the-vaccine
Thank you for this clarification. Why posters continue to post as if they know more than the experts in the field is so strange to me. I don't have it in me to continue my debate on another board with some genius who is taking the "let it spread" argument to embarrassing levels.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thank you for this clarification. Why posters continue to post as if they know more than the experts in the field is so strange to me. I don't have it in me to continue my debate on another board with some genius who is taking the "let it spread" argument to embarrassing levels.

Why posters continue to let certain "experts" tell you it's not possible to do what we have already done is what is truly mystifing. If some experts were to start saying it's impossible for mankind to go into space, apparently many here would believe them.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:23 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,641,186 times
I don’t understand how it took anyone this long to figure out the market was overvalued? Either there are a lot of clueless investors or I’m an absolute genius. It’s nonsense you can’t time the market! You can’t time the market *perfectly*, that IS impossible, but did anyone seriously sit here and think at Dow 27,000, 28,000, and 29,000 stocks weren’t overvalued?! I want some of what you are smoking! I had a ton of cash on the sidelines, I didn’t enter stocks (cash came from real estate sales), nor did my doctor friend, we both were waiting for a LONG overdue recession. To buy in a bull market that has lasted a record length of time seemed like idiocy, and I don’t even follow the markets that closely. I know people who read every day for an hour about the markets. Maybe they’re just too close to see the obvious, I don’t know, but if I were in the market to start this year I’d take one of two paths: Hold positions no matter what and stop buying stocks, saving up cash on the sides (which would have been prudent last year too) to deploy during a downturn, OR sold everything and put it into a cash account to reinvest after the market tumbled, which it was going to do sooner rather than later.

I have no idea when the bottom is, or where it is, but I put money in Friday because I felt the value was great for the long term. I have more on the side, and I don’t expect a bottom was reached, but I know even if the Dow falls another 5,000, I still got a good deal, I still “timed the market,” because even an idiot can time the market, you just can’t time it perfectly. What you can’t do either is repeatedly take money out and put it back in over and over if you’re a long term investor. So when I say time the market I simply mean there are obvious times where you can buy and obvious times you can sell, and 80% of the time neither are obvious. But so what if you sold at Dow 25,000 and “missed out” on some gains if you bought in during the last market downturn at, say, 9,000 or 10,000 levels. You still did awesome.

If I put a chunk of money (which I will) into the market over the next 5 years, and 8 years from now the Dow is at 40,000 or something, and it’s obvious to me the market is overvalued, yeah I’ll do one of two things: Sell everything and sit on the sidelines for a bit because I have other places for my cash (real estate) or hold my positions and stop investing money into stocks so I can have extra cash available for a downturn.

To sell right now, when the markets have taken a beating, you didn’t see this coming when the market was at 26,000 and falling??? I thought everything that has happened since the outbreak has been incredibly obvious on the market.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:35 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
I never think "stocks are overvalued" because it doesn't matter what I think, the market determines what is. The bigger question is: what *planning* did people do to assess their ability to take on risk, ride through volatility, and have enough in low risk or cash equivalents to cover their living expenses for a period of time (6 months for those under 30, up to 3 or 4 years for those in retirement).

People often think in terms of B&W ("all-in" or "all-out"). That kind of thinking misses the important shades of gray. Imagine if you have all your expenses covered for the next 2 years and another 3 to 5 years in bond funds you can sell when you need to? Do you think there will still be a pandemic with no vaccine for the next 5+ years?

Old 03-23-2020, 07:43 AM

545 posts, read 192,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I don’t understand how it took anyone this long to figure out the market was overvalued? Either there are a lot of clueless investors or I’m an absolute genius. It’s nonsense you can’t time the market! You can’t time the market *perfectly*, that IS impossible, but did anyone seriously sit here and think at Dow 27,000, 28,000, and 29,000 stocks weren’t overvalued?! I want some of what you are smoking! I had a ton of cash on the sidelines, I didn’t enter stocks (cash came from real estate sales), nor did my doctor friend, we both were waiting for a LONG overdue recession. To buy in a bull market that has lasted a record length of time seemed like idiocy, and I don’t even follow the markets that closely. I know people who read every day for an hour about the markets. Maybe they’re just too close to see the obvious, I don’t know, but if I were in the market to start this year I’d take one of two paths: Hold positions no matter what and stop buying stocks, saving up cash on the sides (which would have been prudent last year too) to deploy during a downturn, OR sold everything and put it into a cash account to reinvest after the market tumbled, which it was going to do sooner rather than later.

I have no idea when the bottom is, or where it is, but I put money in Friday because I felt the value was great for the long term. I have more on the side, and I don’t expect a bottom was reached, but I know even if the Dow falls another 5,000, I still got a good deal, I still “timed the market,” because even an idiot can time the market, you just can’t time it perfectly. What you can’t do either is repeatedly take money out and put it back in over and over if you’re a long term investor. So when I say time the market I simply mean there are obvious times where you can buy and obvious times you can sell, and 80% of the time neither are obvious. But so what if you sold at Dow 25,000 and “missed out” on some gains if you bought in during the last market downturn at, say, 9,000 or 10,000 levels. You still did awesome.

If I put a chunk of money (which I will) into the market over the next 5 years, and 8 years from now the Dow is at 40,000 or something, and it’s obvious to me the market is overvalued, yeah I’ll do one of two things: Sell everything and sit on the sidelines for a bit because I have other places for my cash (real estate) or hold my positions and stop investing money into stocks so I can have extra cash available for a downturn.

To sell right now, when the markets have taken a beating, you didn’t see this coming when the market was at 26,000 and falling??? I thought everything that has happened since the outbreak has been incredibly obvious on the market.
Well, with me I fell to the preaching of The Bogleheads. Which basically don't do any market analysis, systematic risk management, or anything. Just buy, buy, buy, hold, hold, hold, and forget you own it. If you check your balance in 30 years, you'll supposedly have a lot of money in there.

I admit, I was lazy in following this. But I have adjusted my Investment Statement and approach going forward to buy, hold, and monitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing