Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 03:01 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,209,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Gold seems to have particular appeal to two sorts of investors. The first has doomsday fears, or more charitably, regards modern central-banks to be a pernicious scam, and is leery of burgeoning public-sector debt. The second treats gold as one of several competing investment-buckets, with periodic rebalancing between the buckets. For the former, former, gold is literally a precious resource while everything else founders. For the latter, gold is a useful hedge in temporarily desperate times, and a repository of value to be redeployed elsewhere during good-times.

But even a casual glance at a historical chart reveals a curious behavior of gold: it sits moribund for years, then zooms up, then settles back down. It's highly volatile. Sure, it may outpace stocks over even fairly long periods. But en route is oscillates a lot. Is that good for one's psyche?

As for the topic of inflation hedges, and gold vs. real-estate.... well, in that case I choose gold. Gold isn't saddled with property tax. Gold doesn't require lawn care, unclogging toilets or a new roof. Gold has no nasty neighbors and doesn't fall in value if the local schools suffer a reduction in rating. Gold can be sold almost instantaneously and almost at no cost, whereas real-estate incurs a 6% commission and maybe a 6-month wait.
You certainly have a way with words. Your calling should have been a novelist. Most of your posts are very well written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 03:18 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Thanks this is helpful. I have a WSJ subscription so it was interesting to read the article.

Makes me nervous of the decline in gold prices possibly going forward as I've bought way too much GLD I think haha.
I read the reason is the reduce of stimulus, hence less inflationary pressure.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:28 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Gold responds poorly to plain inflation ....there really is no direct link between normal inflation and gold ....there are way to many other factors that determine what other assets do and what gold does and inflation is just one of many .

The biggest factor is the dollar’s strength and whether real returns are negative on cash instruments or not....that determines golds outcome the most

Old 11-25-2020, 04:59 PM

119 posts, read 122,413 times
Gold follows real interest rates very closely.

I generally don’t like it as long term investment because it’s essentially a zero coupon bond with no default risk. That looks appealing when a substantial amount of debt has a negative yield, but you’re not generating any cash flow so I think gold is merely a less bad option than treasuries for buy and hold investors. Equities and real estate are better asset classes in my experience.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gatsby View Post
Gold follows real interest rates very closely.

I generally don’t like it as long term investment because it’s essentially a zero coupon bond with no default risk. That looks appealing when a substantial amount of debt has a negative yield, but you’re not generating any cash flow so I think gold is merely a less bad option than treasuries for buy and hold investors. Equities and real estate are better asset classes in my experience.
Equities and real estate tend to follow each other in to the toilet in recessions or depressions and even bad market crashes .....gold has had a positive real return in 98% of bad market downturns .

So real estate and stocks are no proxy for gold. Gold may act like a zero coupon bond in cash flow but that is where it ends..gold and treasuries may move together now but that is only until they dont

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-25-2020 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-25-2020, 05:42 PM

119 posts, read 122,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
gold has had a positive real return in 98% of bad market downturns ..
That’s because real interest rates go down when there’s a recession. When real interest rates go down gold goes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
So real estate and stocks are no proxy for gold.
Yeah, real estate and stocks have nothing to do with gold. They’re simply better long term.

If your objective is to minimize portfolio variance of returns then gold has its place. If your goal is to maximize your return I wouldn’t buy and hold gold

Old 11-25-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
That’s because real interest rates go down when there’s a recession. When real interest rates go down gold goes up.

Yeah, real estate and stocks have nothing to do with gold. They’re simply better long term.

If your objective is to minimize portfolio variance of returns then gold has its place. If your goal is to maximize your return I wouldn’t buy and hold gold
Nothing will beat 100% equities generally over the long term ..however using gold in portfolios that are not high volatility /high equity level allocations , gold and stocks has actually beat bonds and stocks over many time frames.

Over the last 20 years a mix of equities , gold , long term treasuries and short term treasuries actually did beat 100% equities .

Portfolios that use gold , like the golden butterfly or pinwheel models have beaten 60/40 over most time frames in return , risk vs reward , volatility and number of losing years

Old 11-25-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
That’s because real interest rates go down when there’s a recession. When real interest rates go down gold goes up

Up or down with rates , if the real return is negative gold tends to do well

Old 11-25-2020, 06:08 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Any guesses why it went down so much in 2013?
US dollar rose sharply against the Yen (60%) and Euro (50%). The Big 3 money printing central banks acted as a tag team to monetize US financial assets. The Fed paused, while the ECB and BOJ announced purchase programs large enough to more than absorb all supply in US, Japan, and Europe. Gold and oil are denominated in US dollars You'd have to buy GEUR. The rapid rise in oil became untenable for policy makers here (see JCPOA agreement with Iran in the face of $110 crude oil).

ADDED: There's a minor parallel at the present. At the last meeting, the ECB has fed expectations of a policy change at the December meeting that expands the amount of purchases or moves interest rate deeper below zero. There is a major EU stimulus program that's been approved.

Last edited by lchoro; 11-25-2020 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-25-2020, 06:29 PM

13,076 posts, read 7,519,082 times
my GLD investment -4.01%, 2020,
GLD etf has a high share value. It consumes a big part of one of my accounts. This prevents a proper diversification.
In a rising Market, GLD will fall. I had expected the Market to fall-my bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing