Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 05:32 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,968,613 times

Advertisements

MarketWatch linked an interesting article from Barron's today. Usually a Barron's piece will be blocked to non-subscriber's, but this one let me read thru. It pointed out some very nice high-yielding Mutual Funds, with yields in the 8% range.

I hope the link is still open....I found some of these Funds to be of interest.

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles...=mw_latestnews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 02:57 AM

107,493 posts, read 109,961,286 times
Chasing yield can be so dangerous..especially now.

Look at GLQ , up 40% in 90 days ..these are going to plunge just as fast eventually, and you won’t know when most likely.

Personally I don’t think this is a good time to swing for the fences . I think it is more a time to start to conserve those gains ..not by fleeing to cash but by betting on more outcomes with a portfolio than just prosperity.

It may be time to increase the quality of the holdings ...there is just to much conflicting data to bet solely on just prosperity continuing

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-11-2021 at 03:12 AM..

Old 02-11-2021, 07:33 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,968,613 times
Well, I didn't like some on their list that rely on Option Writing or Global Electric Utilities. But for a portion of my Fixed Income Allocation, I might go for the one based on US Infrastructure Stocks that's paying a 10.8% yield. Still researching these.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:46 AM

12,021 posts, read 11,659,594 times
JNK still yields over 5 percent. The Fed has been buying junk bonds. That's why the index for junk bonds has been going up in a straight line.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:59 AM

The problem is the last year high yield returned about the same return as a total bond fund despite the fed and the higher interest they pay .

That makes them not a great risk vs reward choice anymore ...they are so closely aligned to the moves in stocks too.

I held hyg the competition to JNK since March and did ok but I sold it last month

Old 02-11-2021, 08:13 AM

12,021 posts, read 11,659,594 times
Nothing is good or great if you have free markets. The Fed is no longer buying bond ETFs. They are buying bonds in the open market to allow banks to front run their purchases and mark up the bonds. Buying the ETFs mainly benefits Blackrock which is already managing their assets.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:50 AM

My vote is this is not a good time for high yield stuff.. for almost the same risk just go to an S&P fund.

These high yield funds can fall bad if stocks do yet they rarely do as well gain wise.

There is a time for them but my opinion is now is not the time.

If anything you want to get more defensive in your holdings

Old 02-11-2021, 09:01 AM

18,576 posts, read 16,009,190 times
I had some high yield bonds a year or 2 ago. Did very well. I don't have them now.

Each type of investment has times when it makes sense to include in one's portfolio and times when it doesn't.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:15 AM

956 posts, read 516,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The problem is the last year high yield returned about the same return as a total bond fund despite the fed and the higher interest they pay .

That makes them not a great risk vs reward choice anymore ...they are so closely aligned to the moves in stocks too.

I held hyg the competition to JNK since March and did ok but I sold it last month
Difference now is the FED has interest rates extremely low where as they did not a year ago until 1 month later when covid started the whole panic in March.

And the FED has stated they plan to keep the FED fund rate at 0-0.25% until at least 2023 and maybe even 2024 and beyond as long as inflation stays low.

Plus the income from bond funds is taxed at W2 income rate where as with qualified dividends, it is taxed more like capital gains if held long enough.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...me-taxable.asp

It seems like almost all dividends are qualified as long as they are U.S companies except for REITs.

Yes the stocks could no hard if broad market does but broad market pays little to no dividend and is so overvalued right now and makes no sense. And is just mostly capital appreciation which is often a greater fool on the other end buying hot companies that are unsupported by their fundamentals.

I'd much rather go in high dividend yeild stocks than broader market.

Broader market is dramatically overvalued and high yield dividend stocks are far less overvalued if at all and many even still undervalued or their dividend yield would not be so high.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:25 AM

Irrelevant what the fed does with rates ..investors have been bidding high yield bonds lower in value offsetting the higher rates they may pay .

Despite the fed , despite lower rates , despite the higher yields , all you got for your money the last year is the same return a total bond fund gave you with a much higher quality portfolio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing