Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2022, 04:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times

Advertisements

Intu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 04:53 PM

3,486 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Perception of market bottoming really shouldn't be a factor for those investing for the long term, should it? No one wants to catch a falling knife, but the essence of long term investing is you ignore perceived market bottoms and tops.
My bigger fear is that we have entered late 60s - early 80s stagflation. Market moved sideways for 15 years with deeply negative real returns when accounting for inflation. That’s a worst case scenario for any long term investor deploying capital today.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Looks like you were right. Sadly, I fear this means that the market hasn’t bottomed yet. Not when AAPL is still running a PE of 25.
Well, looks like I was wrong last Friday but right less than a week later. AAPL already sold off all its gains from last Friday and appears to be headed lower. Need to see that PE ratio compress to ~20 imo.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:46 AM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Well, looks like I was wrong last Friday but right less than a week later. AAPL already sold off all its gains from last Friday and appears to be headed lower. Need to see that PE ratio compress to ~20 imo.
How painful, losing a whole 3 days of gains! I think in years, not days so I’m not worried in the slightest. Things had been getting more expensive there for a few weeks, and if Mr. Powell’s speech yesterday gives me yet another opportunity to add more quality stocks to the portfolio, I’m good with that.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
How painful, losing a whole 3 days of gains! I think in years, not days so I’m not worried in the slightest. Things had been getting more expensive there for a few weeks, and if Mr. Powell’s speech yesterday gives me yet another opportunity to add more quality stocks to the portfolio, I’m good with that.
Yea, pretty sure you’ll have an opportunity to add it < $130 in the near future.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Yea, pretty sure you’ll have an opportunity to add it < $130 in the near future.
If I do, I will add and be grateful for the opportunity. Might even raise my cost basis up to $50!

Old 11-03-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
If I do, I will add and be grateful for the opportunity. Might even raise my cost basis up to $50!
Personally, I prefer GOOG over AAPL at these levels. I feel ad spending is closer to a bottom than consumer discretionary.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Personally, I prefer GOOG over AAPL at these levels. I feel ad spending is closer to a bottom than consumer discretionary.
Nothing wrong with that. Google is a great company, and may very well be the better buy right now, but I'm happy as an AAPL owner and will be happy to own more if it heads back down. In all honesty, I may or may not add even if it does, simply because it's already one of my larger positions, and there are a lot of other targets that may come down as well. BAM, COST, DE, GPC, MSFT, TSCO, ULTA and ZTS are all possible targets depending on how low they go. I am also still building a few of my smaller positions - ALCO, BROS, LEVI, MOV, TROW and TXN, so plenty of places to spread the cash around each month.

Time will tell, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. As Tom Petty once said, "The wa-aiting is the hardest part."

Old 11-03-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. Google is a great company, and may very well be the better buy right now, but I'm happy as an AAPL owner and will be happy to own more if it heads back down. In all honesty, I may or may not add even if it does, simply because it's already one of my larger positions, and there are a lot of other targets that may come down as well. BAM, COST, DE, GPC, MSFT, TSCO, ULTA and ZTS are all possible targets depending on how low they go. I am also still building a few of my smaller positions - ALCO, BROS, LEVI, MOV, TROW and TXN, so plenty of places to spread the cash around each month.

Time will tell, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. As Tom Petty once said, "The wa-aiting is the hardest part."
Just got an alert that ZTS hit it's 52 week low on an earnings miss and lowered guidance. Time to start paying attention to this one!

Old 11-03-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:

I’m watching all the beaten down mega cap tech stocks. I like GOOG at $75, AMZN at $86, MSFT at $190, and AAPL at $120. Let’s see which one gets there first. I’ll be adding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing