Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2022, 08:57 AM

7,849 posts, read 3,843,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It is much more common overseas for dividends to be annual and to be tied more closely to earnings. Because they are tied to earnings, they will wait for the audited financial statements prior to making a declaration. In South America, it is very common that the banks will go so far as to payout 60 or 70 percent of earnings and only leave the remaining 30-40% as capital expansion for a company.

It can cause for some interesting affairs. SIEGY will soon be paying out its annual dividend. It has guided shareholders as to where it believes it will end up and currently it is in the 4.25 Euro range. While that may be a middle of the pack yield annualized....it's not bad if you hold for just the remaining month and a half to get the next one. Sometimes that produces movement. BCH (Banco de Chile) tends to have an oversized movement in its swing. The stock will plummet after paying out far beyond what it has paid and then slowly come back over the course of the year. ITUB has both. It has a monthly....tiny dividend (a relic from Brasil's hyperinflation days) it has a set annual dividend and then it has a special dividend (sometimes).

There's even a couple that, in their quest to get quality shareholders, pay different dividend rates depending on how long shares have been held.

The US really has the biggest....divorce from reality between a dividend paid and financial performance of a company. There's plenty of reasons not to hold VALE, or to not want dividends....but I wouldn't let an annual vs quarterly dividend dissuade your decision on what to buy.
Thank you for the great insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 03:40 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It is much more common overseas for dividends to be annual and to be tied more closely to earnings. Because they are tied to earnings, they will wait for the audited financial statements prior to making a declaration. In South America, it is very common that the banks will go so far as to payout 60 or 70 percent of earnings and only leave the remaining 30-40% as capital expansion for a company.

It can cause for some interesting affairs. SIEGY will soon be paying out its annual dividend. It has guided shareholders as to where it believes it will end up and currently it is in the 4.25 Euro range. While that may be a middle of the pack yield annualized....it's not bad if you hold for just the remaining month and a half to get the next one. Sometimes that produces movement. BCH (Banco de Chile) tends to have an oversized movement in its swing. The stock will plummet after paying out far beyond what it has paid and then slowly come back over the course of the year. ITUB has both. It has a monthly....tiny dividend (a relic from Brasil's hyperinflation days) it has a set annual dividend and then it has a special dividend (sometimes).

There's even a couple that, in their quest to get quality shareholders, pay different dividend rates depending on how long shares have been held.

The US really has the biggest....divorce from reality between a dividend paid and financial performance of a company. There's plenty of reasons not to hold VALE, or to not want dividends....but I wouldn't let an annual vs quarterly dividend dissuade your decision on what to buy.
That's a lot of interesting info. Thank you.

Old 11-27-2022, 11:17 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,157,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
I bought some Coca-Cola stock for retirement tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyj2MJ8JflI

Old 11-28-2022, 07:58 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Added a bit more BROS this morning, now about a 1/4 position size. Will double this up (or more) only if/when I can add at $28 or lower.

Old 11-28-2022, 09:31 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Bought another 2200 shares of CURO at $3.04 last week. Brings my total number of shares to 45,134. Patiently holding with at least a two year time frame in mind, but currently getting my butt kicked badly with this one.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:59 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
-$klic
-$lmnd
-$amc
-$uctt
-$himx

Old 11-29-2022, 02:23 AM

430 posts, read 291,243 times
Bought 3 measely shares of Zim yesterday.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:38 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,193,200 times
AAPL down again on Foxconn worker protest concerns. I’ll add at $120 if it gets there next month.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:38 PM

741 posts, read 403,273 times
I just bought one share of Altria for retirement.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:11 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Made smallish adds to BRK-B and BX this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing