Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 07:39 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,387,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Will had some great sounding thoughts but most of it was either wrong or nonsensical..

He said buy land , they are not making any more of it ..well battery park city here in Manhattan sits on land fill where the water once was
Not just Battery Park City, but a good chunk of Lower Manhattan on both the Hudson and East River sides sits on fill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 02:47 AM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Old will certainly was wrong that’s for sure

Old 06-03-2021, 08:07 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
If I may paraphrase the OP without profanation, the accumulation of knowledge is helpful in building perspective, or to make one wittier at social-gatherings, but it is not actionable. Today I know more than I knew 30 years ago, but how to monetize that knowledge? In other words, being able to better discern what's under the proverbial hood, doesn't make one a better driver. Success seems to be more a result of fortitude and patience, than of having deep understanding.
I've been able to pull above S&P returns for the last year with about similar levels of volatility! We'll see how long I'm able hold on outperforming, but I believe there's opportunity for people who do research to beat the index on volatility or return.

Some of my observations:

1. Nothing in economics is symmetrical. If rates go up, one thing happens, if they go down, the result won't be the inverse.
2. The market functions like a ratchet, slowly going up but when it drops and there's corrections, it usually drops quickly.
3. Pundits are worth reading. Reputable sources like Schwab or Fidelity publish articles that offer good actionable insight, like sectors to avoid or look at.
4. Find a niche to specialize, an industry, a time horizon... For me, I like looking at shorter term (month to quarter) movements between sectors. Limits the amount of information to digest and makes investing less work.
5. Mutual funds can be worth their fees. ETFs ate away the indexed funds, but for areas that haven't been as analyzed, areas like international or small / micro caps, mutual funds can really beat the etf competition.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:40 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
One of my favorite quotes and I've seen it on here many times.

The stock market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
any ETF which has GME and AMC has gone up for no good reason,good mutual funds are being punished for avoiding them.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
can anyone explain t o me what do the Robinhood and Reddit gang see in AMC and GME to bid them up so much?

Old 06-06-2021, 08:15 AM

5,477 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
can anyone explain t o me what do the Robinhood and Reddit gang see in AMC and GME to bid them up so much?
It’s really rather simple - the ability for a bunch of people on social media to coordinate a short squeeze on a stock that is very highly shorted and has a fairly small market cap. Nothing more to it than that.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:15 AM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
There is nothing

Old 06-06-2021, 03:00 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There is nothing
"There is nothing" about said it.
HedgeFunds shorted the stock when there are more shares than lendable shares.
Option calls (naked, no money to execute the call) are going to be buying more shares (ITM) than there are saleable shares.
When you do both, as some trading houses (as some pundits are suggesting) disaster becomes a really possibility. One can also do either Shorting or Options to bring down these players and/or the US monetary system.

On one side, the Shorts & Options are playing what they thought was a no risk, no loss situation, using imaginary shares and other peoples' money(shares). On the other side, the Gorillas are "calling" the Shorts and Option players, that substantial risk exists and real. Gorillas are playing with their own and real money. We are playing "mumbley peg" but using the other guy's precious as the target. We are only using small rocks but the baseballs and cannons are known to exist.

Last edited by leastprime; 06-06-2021 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 07:55 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I've been able to pull above S&P returns for the last year with about similar levels of volatility! We'll see how long I'm able hold on outperforming, but I believe there's opportunity for people who do research to beat the index on volatility or return.

Some of my observations:

1. Nothing in economics is symmetrical. If rates go up, one thing happens, if they go down, the result won't be the inverse.
2. The market functions like a ratchet, slowly going up but when it drops and there's corrections, it usually drops quickly.
3. Pundits are worth reading. Reputable sources like Schwab or Fidelity publish articles that offer good actionable insight, like sectors to avoid or look at.
4. Find a niche to specialize, an industry, a time horizon... For me, I like looking at shorter term (month to quarter) movements between sectors. Limits the amount of information to digest and makes investing less work.
5. Mutual funds can be worth their fees. ETFs ate away the indexed funds, but for areas that haven't been as analyzed, areas like international or small / micro caps, mutual funds can really beat the etf competition.
The thing the passive index crowd doesn’t seem to understand is you don’t have to beat the index year after year. If you can make a big beat once or twice that’s life changing money. They just won’t accept the fact there is more than one way of doing things. If you can make a few trades that do well and then roll that into an index fund you will do better than passive traders.

The past three years what I have done has shaved a decade or so off of what would have been in the SPY.

They don’t seem to understand you can use short term trading as an accoutrement and compliment to long term investing. As you said this isn’t too hard if you have one thing you specialize in and then start doing the rotation stocks as trades when they are hot.

Not everybody can do this but they tend to assume that nobody can do it. They come with some made up number like more than 90% of people fail at trading. That means 10% are able and thats a lot of people.

The most successful people at investing have short mid and long term goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing