Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 10:26 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

As I'm learning more about the stock market, I realized it has some interesting things about it I wish had been compiled in a book. I learned these here and there so I thought it would be nice to put these together. It's a mix of trading + investing btw but I won't be adding anything about technical analysis. Anything you'd like to add?

-the gold and dollar are generally inversely correlated but it isn't always the case
-tech seems to be inversely correlated with value stocks and inflation
-the SPY generally tends to be inversely correlated with the VIX
-if a stock is doing well, you can look at the sector as a whole for other up and coming plays
-the news are generally priced in
-over the long-term, the SPY has gone up but when things are bearish it can seem a lot worse
-I heard this saying from a trader and I liked it a lot. He said that bulls take the stairs and bears take the window. It really helps keep things in perspective when everything seems to be in the red.
-sector rotations can and will happen
-anything can happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 10:35 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Gold actually responds well to negative real returns on cash instruments..that seems to be its highest correlation

Old 06-01-2021, 10:54 AM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Right now it's stuck market.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:02 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
He said that bulls take the stairs and bears take the window.
No bulls and bears. There is a stock market history game called Chutes and Ladders or Snakes and Ladders. It illustrates how wealth is built gradually by climbing the ladders and how losses come quickly. In trading, you can get wiped out by getting on the ladder too late and being greedy or fearful of taking small losses, not realizing that you are on the right-hand side of the curve.

Playing Snakes and Ladders in a Yo-Yo market

Last edited by lchoro; 06-01-2021 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-01-2021, 11:08 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Follow your heart

Old 06-01-2021, 11:58 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Gold actually responds well to negative real returns on cash instruments..that seems to be its highest correlation
Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Right now it's stuck market.
Right. Another thing I learned, the markets can move up, down or sideways and being in cash is also a position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
No bulls and bears. There is a stock market history game called Chutes and Ladders or Snakes and Ladders. It illustrates how wealth is built gradually by climbing the ladders and how losses come quickly. In trading, you can get wiped out by getting on the ladder too late and being greedy or fearful of taking small losses, not realizing that you are on the right-hand side of the curve.

Playing Snakes and Ladders in a Yo-Yo market
Never heard of that game. I'll read more about it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Follow your heart
Lol yeah because anybody who claims to know it all really doesn't know anything. The people who are most insightful are very humble because they know there's always going to be more to learn.

Old 06-01-2021, 02:22 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
If I may paraphrase the OP without profanation, the accumulation of knowledge is helpful in building perspective, or to make one wittier at social-gatherings, but it is not actionable. Today I know more than I knew 30 years ago, but how to monetize that knowledge? In other words, being able to better discern what's under the proverbial hood, doesn't make one a better driver. Success seems to be more a result of fortitude and patience, than of having deep understanding.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:21 PM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times
October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February.

-- Mark Twain

Old 06-01-2021, 04:28 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February.

-- Mark Twain
Excellent wisdom Hikernut, I love it! Here's another of my favorites:

"Don’t gamble! Take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don’t go up, don’t buy it."

- Will Rogers

Old 06-01-2021, 04:32 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Will had some great sounding thoughts but most of it was either wrong or nonsensical..

He said buy land , they are not making any more of it ..well battery park city here in Manhattan sits on land fill where the water once was
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing