Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2024, 12:59 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Let me rephrase the question. Do you occasionally need to plug in your car and charge the batteries?
never , no provisions…it self charges all the time.

you can’t even do that …
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 02:17 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Since 1974 I get a new car every 4-5 years

Just bought the latest

A Lexus rx500h turbo hybrid for 80k
From what I understand, the hybrids are selling pretty well. It’s the total e-cars that are not selling as well.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:22 PM

i have no issues with the system at all …it takes premium because of the turbo but all high end cars take it

Old 01-28-2024, 08:36 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Lexus has been in the hybrid game for a long time and not for gas mileage but more so performance. It’s leaked over into some mileage but it’s still born out of performance, bmw has gone mild hybrid for performance too

Old 01-28-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Lexus has been in the hybrid game for a long time and not for gas mileage but more so performance. It’s leaked over into some mileage but it’s still born out of performance, bmw has gone mild hybrid for performance too
the rx350h is a hybrid based on getting high gas mileage .

the rx500h is the performance oriented brother , so mileage plays second fiddle to performance…

it was a well executed compromise between luxury , reliability and performance compared to the porsche i was looking at or the bmw x5 which both are more performance oriented as opposed to a luxury feel .

the lexus cost a fraction for services what the others do and routine maintenance can be done by toyota dealers for a lot less

Old 01-29-2024, 09:20 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Decided to start a long term position on TSLA that I will keep for at least the next five years. My original investment in tesla in 2018 was based on the potential of Tesla as an automotive manufacturer. My investment in 2024 is based on the hope that Tesla will successfully execute non-automotive businesses…further, that tesla will secure revenue sources that far outpace that of the automotive side. Yes, it means I’m pinning hopes on Optimus, Dojo, application of neural nets in other lucrative technologies (including FSD), etc.

Old 01-29-2024, 02:02 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
Decided to start a long term position on TSLA that I will keep for at least the next five years. My original investment in tesla in 2018 was based on the potential of Tesla as an automotive manufacturer. My investment in 2024 is based on the hope that Tesla will successfully execute non-automotive businesses…further, that tesla will secure revenue sources that far outpace that of the automotive side. Yes, it means I’m pinning hopes on Optimus, Dojo, application of neural nets in other lucrative technologies (including FSD), etc.
You mean, you don't believe TSLA is "just another car company" whose P/E should be 5?

I'm interested in the potential for Tesla's FSD to be licensed to other manufacturers. After all the money Ford and GM poured into trying to crack the EV market, it seems they might shy away from massive R&D on something Tesla is already way ahead on. Notwithstanding the 1,000 Tesla pileup on Long Island in that Netflix movie.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:09 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You mean, you don't believe TSLA is "just another car company" whose P/E should be 5?

I'm interested in the potential for Tesla's FSD to be licensed to other manufacturers. After all the money Ford and GM poured into trying to crack the EV market, it seems they might shy away from massive R&D on something Tesla is already way ahead on. Notwithstanding the 1,000 Tesla pileup on Long Island in that Netflix movie.
I get the sense that the majority of the market is pricing tesla as an automotive company, which explains the sharp drop during earnings week.

there are companies that will eventually make nicer electric vehicles than Tesla, which is something Elon understood a few years ago as evidenced by tesla moving more into the mainstream market vs luxury.

The key question I ponder is whether tesla can leverage their massive data collection for non-automotive projects. My bet is that they eventually will, which is why I am willing to invest in a company that still relies mostly on automotive revenue with a PE around 60.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:30 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You also failed to address anything I asked. I’m not shocked but you should recognize that

Give me your mathematical basis for high margins

Sure. Tesla leaders stated it will be cheaper to build than a Model X, while selling around similar prices.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Sure. Tesla leaders stated it will be cheaper to build than a Model X, while selling around similar prices.
Well that’s not a mathematical basis. Are margins increasing currently ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing